BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
I've owned a 2009 R1200R since 2011 and it's one of the best bikes I've ever had the pleasure of riding. As we all know nothing is forever and I fancied a swap. I looked at lots of bikes and actually test rode a 2014 Honda VFR800 which did everything well but lacked soul and that connection we all look for in a motorcycle. It also lacked any modern extra's I've come to expect from later BMW's, i.e ESA, onboard computer, tyre pressure monitors to name but a few. I can hear most of you now saying to yourselves "more to go wrong" but so what, life's short!
What looking for and riding other bikes taught me is, there's nothing like a BMW-period.

Out with the old,

and in with the new.

The bike was delivered in fabulous condition (only 1069 miles) but f### me!, the tyre pressures, 39.5psi in the front and 45.5psi in the rear! Almost unrideable, very skittish. The book says 36 front & 42 rear-go figure. Laughing
I'll be riding it over to Spain later this year and I'm really looking forward to that.

2Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Nice bike!

It has red bits, so that makes it acceptable...just. Very Happy

Remember Rule No. 6

3Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:27 pm

indian036

Life time member
Life time member
Noice!

Bill

1984 K100RT VIN 0023022 Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT VIN 0090542 Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT VIN 0183046 Work in progress
1993 K75S VIN 0213045 Newest toy, slightly non-original

4Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:43 am

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
Nice!

Gotta love the sound from that boxer.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:50 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
A bocKser?

Bets its bite is as good as its bark!

6Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 am

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
We went out for a test ride yesterday and can say it rides really well. Bags of torque just where it's needed for real world quick everyday road riding. The top end is a little disappointing, it runs out of breath sooner than I'd like but if I'd wanted something with lots of horse power I should have bought an S1000RR, S1000R or the S1000XR but lets face it, you can't actually use all that power on the road can you?
Some years back I had a K1300R and couldn't safely use the 175bhp unless I went to a track day so I'm OK with what I have.
I'm now going to sort the tyre pressures out now everything's cooled off. cheers

7Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am

Life time member
Life time member
Wishing you safe enjoyment!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.

8Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:19 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
I popped into the BMW dealer the other day and was smitten with the looks of the RnineT Racer. Took some pictures:

Then I looked at the price for this fairly basic bike that does not even have the upside down forks of the other RnineT models, and seems to have been built down to a price.
Very quickly decided that for 1000 less I could have the much better equipped and better quality Ducati Supersport.
Off we went to the Ducati dealer and it looks like I will need to buy two Supersports as the wife wants one too. That will save me 2000 then.

9Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
The forks must just be down to retro styling. They've got Radial calipers hanging off the back of them.

10Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:11 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
@Motorbike Mike wrote:The forks must just be down to retro styling. They've got Radial calipers hanging off the back of them.
No they have not. The one that you see behind the Racer has radial calipers and upside down forks. The brochure actually says that this model does not have radial calipers.

11Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
This has though:

12Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Who needs his reading glasses? That'll be me then!
You're right. Is it only that bike that has the conventional forks in the BMW range?
Now I can see what's what I'd sooner have the R90s in the background.

13Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:32 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
I think that they stuck the R90S there to try and make out that the white Racer was similar. I did buy a brand new R75/7 when I was a teenager, but even with my rose tinted glasses on, I am aware that it might have been a great bike then, but would not be what I want now.

14Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@BobT wrote:I think that they stuck the R90S there to try and make out that the white Racer was similar. I did buy a brand new R75/7 when I was a teenager, but even with my rose tinted glasses on, I am aware that it might have been a great bike then, but would not be what I want now.
What are you after now?

15Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
I'll probably buy a pair of the Ducati Supersports. I made the mistake of taking my wife with me when I looked at it and now she wants one too.
I have the 50 year old Ducati 250 single for when I want some retro fun, and the KRS to mess with.

16Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:52 am

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
The SuperSport looks a cracking bike.
If Ducati made a Roadster with a decent engine in it I'd have tried one years ago, that's always frustrated me. The new Monster 1200R is close but not quite complete if that makes sense-only a single seater in reality.
The BM's seem to be the only manufacturer that have a Roadster that can do everything with a decent amount of options e.g decent suspension and luggage etc. Some of the Japanese stuff is pig ugly with poor spec under all the shiny bodywork, I'm thinking of the Kawasaki Z1000SX here. I also test rode the latest VFR800 (the one that looks like the Ducati SuperSport) but while it did everything reasonably well, it didn't grab me by the balls.

That's me back up to 5 BMW's with another 1 1/2 16v K's in bits to make up a complete bike at some point. Smile

17Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:26 am

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
I do know what you mean about Jap bikes. I have had a few but they never seem to have the character of a European bike, my wife tells me that they have no soul.
The Ducatis have improved in quality and reliability since their owners became Audi, but you are correct in that they are limited by not having a good two seat roadster, by good I mean with an ample rear seat. There is the Scrambler range but they seem to be cheap and horrible compared to the rest of the range.
In the same way BMWs were getting taller and taller since the year 2000, so much that with my short legs I cold not find one that suited me. The last two that I bought new were a K1200GT in 2004 and an R1100S in 2005, but the S was about 4" to tall for my legs.
We will see what the next few weeks brings,perhaps I will sell the microlight of maybe I will use the brexit fund and just be extravagant.

18Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:00 am

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@BobT wrote:I do know what you mean about Jap bikes. I have had a few but they never seem to have the character of a European bike, my wife tells me that they have no soul.
The Ducatis have improved in quality and reliability since their owners became Audi, but you are correct in that they are limited by not having a good two seat roadster, by good I mean with an ample rear seat. There is the Scrambler range but they seem to be cheap and horrible compared to the rest of the range.
In the same way BMWs were getting taller and taller since the year 2000, so much that with my short legs I cold not find one that suited me. The last two that I bought new were a K1200GT in 2004 and an R1100S in 2005, but the S was about 4" to tall for my legs.
We will see what the next few weeks brings,perhaps I will sell the microlight of maybe I will use the brexit fund and just be extravagant.
We're only here once!

19Back to top Go down    Re: A new BMW arrived this afternoon. on Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
You will like that. The new engine with the liquid cooking is great. I have GS with this engine. It's great.

- John

http://Bugsmashers.org/phpbb

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum