BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Lucky

Lucky
Hi all,

Just wondering if somebody out there might have some stiff fork springs that they didn't like and are now just hanging around. I'm not sure if mine are still ok or not as I don't know what is 'normal'. They seem soft and vague to me. I've change the fork oil with the required quantity of fresh 15wt and they still seem soft. The stuff that came out was a terrible dark grey/browny colour...

Just wondering if different springs would help. Worth a try I reckon...

K100rs 1986

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Lucky , I had a set of OHLINS fork springs in my 87KRS , I used the recommended volume of ARAL 0-40W oil ( 360ml per leg ) and I found the front to be too stiff , it felt like it was bouncing over bumps instead of absorbing the shock , 99% of my riding is solo with no luggage , I went back to the standard springs & spacers and it felt way more compliant , at the next fork oil change I'm going to try to reduce the volume a little to soften the ride further .

John Re

Melbourne Australia

Lucky

Lucky
Do you still have the Ohlins fork springs?

Lucky

Lucky
ARAL 0-40? Is that motor oil? Seems to be a rare oil in these parts. I googled Aral 0-40 and no fork oil came up. 

My ride seems to be quite soft and vague in the front end. Dives under brakes and that isn't a full-on stop either. Seems to wallow and not real compliant at all. Maybe I am expecting too much? Maybe this is just how K bikes perform. I've only owned it for a couple few months and only just got it going. I can't believe the new fork oil did stuff all to helps the ride. It is in perfect original condition with only 40,000km on it. Stored for the last 8-10 years at least. 

After a fresh 15 wt Castrol fork oil change with correct quantities, I put a cable tie around the fork to gauge the sag and the travel i was using. Just dropping it off the centre stand used 100mm of travel once the front wheel was jacked back off the ground. Is that normal? I subsequently added an extra 25ml to each leg and it still seems the same. I've heard of others adding an extra 10 ml and noticing the difference. ???

Maybe the forks just need a good clean and overhaul. I'd still like to try some stiffer springs if somebody has some that they don't need. Happy to pay for them of course....

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Thirty-year-old fork springs are likely to be soggy. I hated LFB when I first got her for all the handling reasons you describe - I almost made friends with far too many ditches. I put a set of progressives in the front and a RamShock at the rear; I could have sworn that someone had given me a new bike with the old cruddy paintwork on. I used a pair of Hypros in LFB and Motorworks' own brand in Brick2 and couldn't detect the difference. My pocket did though - Motorworks is half the price of the Hypros (or Hagons).

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=40&Ct=MA&SbCt=BA_15_40_MA_25

First item.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Morning Lucky , I do still have the OHLINS fork springs , PM me to speak about that if you want them , 100mm of static sag ! , that seems pretty extreme to me , the original fork spring set up is : 2 part springs in each leg each about 180-200mm long from memory with little plastic inserts in the end of each spring plus a plastic spacer about 100mm long , has a PO removed some of the parts to lower the front ?? . The ARAL 0-40w is a specific fork oil , my local bike shop has it ( BM Motorcycles Ringwood Victoria ) , it's great oil and has solved many front end issues . I'll try to get more details about it when I get home

John Re

Melbourne Australia

Last edited by JR_K100RS on Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error in measurement)

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
!00mm sag, sounds like the spacers have been left out.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
X2 on Rick's comment Lucky , I think the spacers have been taken out

John Re

Melbourne Australia

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day again Lucky , I took a few measurements from my KRS , with standard fork springs I've got 50mm of static sag , the spacers are 105mm long ( 1 per fork ) , the free length of the OHLINS springs are 400mm , I'm not sure if you use the little plastic end caps of the stock springs to make the spring end flat of the OHLINS spring as this would add about 10mm of extra preload per leg

Over to you

John Re

Melbourne Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum