BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Looking for a set of heated grips Empty Looking for a set of heated grips Fri May 05, 2017 7:19 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Looking for a set of heated grips for the '88 K100RS.  Anyone got some takeoffs?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Get a set of Oxfords, so far in front of OEM it makes them look to be made of dinosaur skin.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Get a set of Oxfords, so far in front of OEM it makes them look to be made of dinosaur skin.
Thanks Rick.  I recognize there may be better setups out there, though would like to keep the OEM look with the three way switch on the dash.  Do you think the heated grip set up from a K1100 would plug and play?

4Back to top Go down   Looking for a set of heated grips Empty Re: Looking for a set of heated grips Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Club_c, the K1100 wiring harness has the same supply point for heated grips as the K75 (and I believe the K100). It is under the tank on the left side of the frame backbone tube, white 2 pin plug with.green/black and brown wires. This supply comes on with the ignition so you don't have to worry about the grips being left on.
The OEM grip set has a short intermediate harness with a 2pin (to connect to supply mentioned above), a 3 pin plug to go to the dash switch and a 4 pin plug to go to the grips.

Cheers

5Back to top Go down   Looking for a set of heated grips Empty Re: Looking for a set of heated grips Mon May 15, 2017 11:35 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down   Looking for a set of heated grips Empty Re: Looking for a set of heated grips Tue May 16, 2017 12:10 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
club_c wrote:
RicK G wrote:Get a set of Oxfords, so far in front of OEM it makes them look to be made of dinosaur skin.
Thanks Rick.  I recognize there may be better setups out there, though would like to keep the OEM look with the three way switch on the dash.  Do you think the heated grip set up from a K1100 would plug and play?
The part Number is different. I cant recall the difference but they are not just plug and play.
Even if you do get a OEM set consider a control like Duck has shown as the resistor wire does overheat and will damage the harness. Gaz was the most recent one to suffer that fate and went through a motza of fuses that weekend.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
My aftermarket HG approach does not use the much dreaded orange wire. The switch low setting goes to the low elements in the grips so the orange wire is not needed.

My 93 LT had the orange wire issue one day when I left the grips on the low setting for too long. I saw smoke from under the left side of the tank when I stopped and the guy I was meeting said he'd never seen anybody take off a gas tank that quickly.  Very Happy

It now has a PWM controller to run the OEM HGs.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

8Back to top Go down   Looking for a set of heated grips Empty Show Chrome heated grips 17-380 Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Ace Handler

Ace Handler
I really like this style of grip (chrome metal with hard rubber poking through) - looks good, feels good, and adds more weight to the ends of the bars which reduces further the dreaded white-knuckle-syndrome vibrations.  Be that as it may, I realize they're likely not everyone's cup of tea.  I've been eye-balling and researching for awhile these Show Chrome heated grips, finally found some that would (maybe) work at an amazing price - $65 with shipping.  After 6 hours of fiddle-fudging I'm ready to roll.  They get nice and hot too...

Looking for a set of heated grips Show_c10
Looking for a set of heated grips Heated10
Looking for a set of heated grips Heated11

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I think I may have posted a followup on a different thread, but for me I persevered through the OEM set up.  The grips were disconnected from the main harness, so after plugging that in I confirmed I had power to the switch.  After pulling back the OEM rubber grips I had to diagnose and repair several breaks in the heater wires under the grips.  Many hours I'll never get back, but now the OEM setup works as it should.  Until the dreaded orange wire overheat!

10Back to top Go down   Looking for a set of heated grips Empty Re: Looking for a set of heated grips Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:29 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
club_c wrote: Until the dreaded orange wire overheat!

And it will eventually happen. As Rick G noted above, I was lucky that I always carry a number of spare fuses. Having made it back home from that trip without doing more damage than melting the orange wire I took up the advice of Rick G and Duck et al and invested my $5 and a few hours in setting up a PWM to control the OEM grips - works a treat.

The particular PWM that I used did not have an "off" position at full anti clockwise so I left the OEM switch in place and just used one side to supply power to the PWM (which I deconstructed and mounted the board under the tank and the control pot adjacent to the switch).

Looking for a set of heated grips 45565610

For those curious, the 10mm LED mounted in a switch blank is a multi-colour battery monitor and the hazard switch is used as a master switch for my LED daylight running lights (still to have the legend plate changed to the OEM fog light plate).

Cheers

11Back to top Go down   Looking for a set of heated grips Empty Re: Looking for a set of heated grips Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm

martin@swad

I just got some heated gloves, much better than grips as they warm the back of your hands and finger ends as well. Worth considering before spending on oem stuff, and they just plug into your 12v socket.
I got the Gerbing ones, not cheap but came highly recommended.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum