BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


LaughingGravy


New member
New member
1985 Naked K100
Please help identify what this set of two yellow wires with a D shaped connector is supposed to go tobefore I pull this apart. The bike seems to run fine. It seems to be coming from the cluster.
Many Thanks
" />

    

Tom FKR

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
This connector looks like the clutch cut out switch or the front brake switch connector. Someone else will confirm or correct me on this. Cheers Tom


__________________________________________________
1993 K75 Slightly Modified
2010 BMW F650GS Twin
1992 R100R
    

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Tom Grabau wrote:This connector looks like the clutch cut out switch or the front brake switch connector. Someone else will confirm or correct me on this. Cheers Tom
I'm with you on this Tom.

    

LaughingGravy


New member
New member
Thank you both for the crazy-quick replies. I did a search and I can't seem to find what both of these answers do. The front brake seems to light and I can start the bike in Neutral without issue. What does a clutch cut out switch do?

I used to be able to start the bike in any gear with the clutch lever pulled in. Now, it will only start in Neutral (clutch lever in or out) and has been this way for years. Could it be that this being unplugged was the cause? The wire/plug just became visible recently.
Yeah, I could take apart the front of the bike and just see/find the other connector, but if I could get an educated likely answer in advance, I would feel better. Your help is greatly appreciated.

    

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
as tom said , likely to be clutch switch

good luck


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
The other end of that connector is under the tank; should be easy enough to find. Off the top of my head I think the other end has a black/green and (possibly) a grey/green wire in it.


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

indian036

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
LaughingGravy wrote:Thank you both for the crazy-quick replies. I did a search and I can't seem to find what both of these answers do. The front brake seems to light and I can start the bike in Neutral without issue. What does a clutch cut out switch do?

I used to be able to start the bike in any gear with the clutch lever pulled in. Now, it will only start in Neutral (clutch lever in or out) and has been this way for years. Could it be that this being unplugged was the cause? The wire/plug just became visible recently.

Yeah, I could take apart the front of the bike and just see/find the other connector, but if I could get an educated likely answer in advance, I would feel better. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I think, with the input above and your 2nd paragraph deduction, you've correctly given your own educated likely answer. Smile

Tom's mention of front brake or clutch cutout switch is because the switches are identical, with different functions according to what they are connected to.

Bill


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RT Red. VIN 0028991K100RT ENG 104EA248523386
1985 K100RT Blue. VIN 0029036K100RT ENG 104EA25852071
1990 K100LT Black. VIN WB105060310190452
1984 K100RT White. VIN. 0023022K100RT ENG 104EA32848523
    

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
indian036 wrote:Tom's mention of front brake or clutch cutout switch is because the switches are identical, with different functions according to what they are connected to.

Bill
And the back brake switch and the fast idle switch...


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Here's a 1985 K100 color wiring diagram:

http://dws.x10host.com/kp/1985.K100.Wiring.Color.jpg


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
If you are travelling and get a breakdown due to faulty clutch switch you can swap the rear brake switch with it. If your gear position indicator switch doesn't work and you have no neutral will have to do that or else short the wires near the lever. Just make sure then that you use the front brake to geta brakelight for anyone behind and also the red warning light won't go out. But it will get you home!


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 87,100 miles
1997 K1100LT 58,000 miles
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum