BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hello everybody!

Last week I bought the K 1100 RS, production date 03/1993. According to the previous owner, the bike had been imported form Switzerland. It surprised me to see in the vehicle papers that it supposedly has just 60 kw (81 HP). To me were until now known only versions with 72 kW (98 HP) and 74 kW (100 HP). But a little search gave this small add from Switzerland showing the bike that really has just 60 HP:

https://auto.ricardo.ch/kaufen/fahrzeuge/motorraeder/touring/bmw-k-1100-rs/w/an910084032/

Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? 910084032_v0_4

Can someone help me with information how was the power reduced? And what I need to do in order to get the full power again??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Tarik
Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Hello!

It's a lot of work but not to expensive.
Can you read german?
Here is a link how to:
http://technik.flyingbrick.de/images/7/7f/13_k1drossel.pdf

What you need and I don't know if it works, 
or if it's correct !!!!!!!

Idle adjustment screw 13541461261
Exhaust without catalyser 18121461833
Air filter Lower part 13721460339
Air filter top Shell 11611461833
All together about 350€ USED

You normally will need the Main engine wiring harness but you can work this out.

Was much easier with the 8Velvet compared with the 16Valvet.

Cheers

3Back to top Go down   Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? Empty Great thanks! Mon May 22, 2017 6:02 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
Chocolate wrote:Hello!

It's a lot of work but not to expensive.
Can you read german?
Here is a link how to:
http://technik.flyingbrick.de/images/7/7f/13_k1drossel.pdf

What you need and I don't know if it works, 
or if it's correct !!!!!!!

Idle adjustment screw 13541461261
Exhaust without catalyser 18121461833
Air filter Lower part 13721460339
Air filter top Shell 11611461833
All together about 350€ USED

You normally will need the Main engine wiring harness but you can work this out.

Was much easier with the 8Velvet compared with the 16Valvet.

Cheers

Hello!

Great thanks - and yes, I understand German perfectly so it won't be difficult to translate for my buddy who maintains the bike and don't knows the "lingua".

I will only be sorry to loose the exhaust with catalyser - dunno if it can be replaced with one coming from a bike with 98/100 HP AND a catalyser?

Cheers,
Tarik

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
If i had a cat on my bike then I would donate it to you as I always remove them if I can.

5Back to top Go down   Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? Empty Climate change scepticism Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
BobT wrote:If i had a cat on my bike then I would donate it to you as I always remove them if I can.

Huuuh - it seems Trump's scepticism about the greenhouse gases as a cause to climate change has really caught up in the rest of world too, not just the USA. I prefer to pollute the environment as little as possible  cheers

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
But an engine without a cat uses less fuel so produces less CO2.

7Back to top Go down   Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? Empty Wrong logic Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
BobT wrote:But an engine without a cat uses less fuel so produces less CO2.
It may use slightly more fuel with the catalyst (and in the beginning they were producing a bit more CO2, but still much less other poisonouses gases - CO, NOx, then particulate matter).

Just compare the tables for European Emission Standards - the present one is Euro 6:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

Vehicle emissions:

http://www.air-quality.org.uk/26.php

No cars or motorbikes that do not satisfy at least Euro 4 standard can not be imported in my country - that's why I can buy a bike such as K 1100 RS only locally.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
IngeK will know for sure but AFAIK all you need is the ECU from a K1100 other than Swiss and all should be OK.
That was the case with the K100

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Non-cat K1100s have a different Motronic and wiring harness w/o an O2(lambda) sensor.

But non-cat aftermarket exhausts usually have a bung for the O2 sensor (at least my Staintune and Remus exhausts do) so they can run on bikes that came from the factory with a cat.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

10Back to top Go down   Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? Empty No ECU needed Mon May 22, 2017 2:01 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
RicK G wrote:IngeK will know for sure but AFAIK all you need is the ECU from a K1100 other than Swiss and all should be OK.
That was the case with the K100

Thanks - in this paper on how to modify the "Swiss" bikes with less power, which Chocolate provided link to, it's said no change of ECU is necessary - just to rewire a few pins on the connector going to it with a pliers and a soldering iron. They recommend replacing the exhaust with one without cat too

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
That's right, swiss versions of K1100lt and RS are 60kW only.
Yet...I didn't notice any difference when riding it, only that power stops to increase sooner and a flat curve until it reaches the red zone. But be sure that, at least on LT, it's a problem on such a bike designed for touring because you rarely use this RPM range, and I feel - subjectivly- that the engine has more sweetness in low RPM because of the lower diameter of the throttle bodies.
Yet, it's not that simple to give it the whole power: you have to change the ECU AND the throttle bodies, because they are narrowed to reduce max power. I don't remember if there's also intake pipe restrictions. I'm quite sure that any throttle body from a K100 would fit, 2V or 4V. Cheap but some work to do.

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
jbt wrote:That's right, swiss versions of K1100lt and RS are 60kW only.
Can anyone tell me why the Swiss required this? I can't imagine BMW making that decision themselves.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
The swiss rules used to be quite weird in the 90's. No regulation about power, but on noise and pollution emissions only. That gave very restrictive configurations ( an Honda RC30 was almost 50 kW on a Swiss configuration...) and other funny details : for example, twin front headlights were forbiddent for a long time, to avoid confusion between a tractor and a motorcycle (well considering they're going the same speed it makes sense!) So all the 80's and 90's trail bike such Africa Twin were sold in Switzerland with a single square headlamp instead of the twin round lamps.
Back to the K11, it's interesting to notice that the noise regulation leaded to use extra noise pannels that enclose the engine. THe side panel of the front fairing is coated with an noise absorber, and a lower spoiler was added to the swiss version. (Check my topic about Krossing the Karpathians if you want ics about that bike) I don't know if the RS has the same features but the K1 has. Yet, the K100, RS RT or LT never had these extra in Switzerland.
If you want to know more about the swiss versions, use the website realoem.com/bmw to spot the specific versions made for a national market. It allows you to cross the references of a part to see if it's specific to your version or if it's used on all the production.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
There was a horror story doing the rounds in the 1990s that the Swiss regulations were going to be taken as a model and applied throughout Europe. That might have given HD a chance to compete: IIRC their original 1340 produced a full 37 brake horse on the road!  Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? 44271

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

15Back to top Go down   Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? Empty No need to change the ECU Mon May 22, 2017 8:02 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
jbt wrote:That's right, swiss versions of K1100lt and RS are 60kW only.
Yet...I didn't notice any difference when riding it, only that power stops to increase sooner and a flat curve until it reaches the red zone. But be sure that, at least on LT, it's a problem on such a bike designed for touring because you rarely use this RPM range, and I feel - subjectivly- that the engine has more sweetness in low RPM because of the lower diameter of the throttle bodies.
Yet, it's not that simple to give it the whole power: you have to change the ECU AND the throttle bodies, because they are narrowed to reduce max power. I don't remember if there's also intake pipe restrictions. I'm quite sure that any throttle body from a K100 would fit, 2V or 4V. Cheap but some work to do.

Actually it is not necessary to change the ECU - because "coding" for the Swiss version is done inside the wiring harness. The ECUs are exactly the same.  As I posted the identical question to the German language Flyingbrick forum, the members there pointed me to the PDF file with exact instructions what to do.THE most important part is the wiring harness - and it is not necessary to exchange it whole: it is possible to modify the connector coming to Motronic unit by cutting the wire that goes to the pin no. 14 (see the image on page 4): 

[url=chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://technik.flyingbrick.de/images/7/7f/13_k1drossel.pdf]http://technik.flyingbrick.de/images/7/7f/13_k1drossel.pdf[/url]

As 2nd on the list come the throttle adjusting screws, and the exhaust system. The German instructions recommend also exchanging upper and lower air cleaner housing parts - 11 61 1 461 833 and 13 72 1 460 339 respectively; in the original parts there is some sort of an insulating mat which ought to be removed, but as some part of it may remain and later be sucked into the engine, it is better to get another parts.

The exhaust system muffler may be replaced with either one with or without catalytic converter.

Thanks for help - ANY suggestions make us know more!!!

Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? D5f33ae6d63146ffa47999ec5e2ab37e

Last edited by ffbikersa on Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

16Back to top Go down   Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? Empty Swiss version Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
jbt wrote:The swiss rules used to be quite weird in the 90's. No regulation about power, but on noise and pollution emissions only. That gave very restrictive configurations ( an Honda RC30 was almost 50 kW on a Swiss configuration...) and other funny details : for example, twin front headlights were forbiddent for a long time, to avoid confusion between a tractor and a motorcycle (well considering they're going the same speed it makes sense!) So all the 80's and 90's trail bike such Africa Twin were sold in Switzerland with a single square headlamp instead of the twin round lamps.
Back to the K11, it's interesting to notice that the noise regulation leaded to use extra noise pannels that enclose the engine. THe side panel of the front fairing is coated with an noise absorber, and a lower spoiler was added to the swiss version. (Check my topic about Krossing the Karpathians if you want ics about that bike) I don't know if the RS has the same features but the K1 has. Yet, the K100, RS RT or LT never had these extra in Switzerland.
If you want to know more about the swiss versions, use the website realoem.com/bmw to spot the specific versions made for a national market. It allows you to cross the references of a part to see if it's specific to your version or if it's used on all the production.

Germans were also selling models with restricted power on their market I guess, because beginners are not allowed to ride the full power bikes. Not sure with how many HP they can drive.

Thanks for suggestion about realoem, I found these:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0522-EUR-09-1993-89V2-BMW-K_1100_RS_0522,0532_&diagId=13_0522

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0522-EUR-09-1993-89V2-BMW-K_1100_RS_0522,0532_&diagId=61_1080

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0522-EUR-09-1993-89V2-BMW-K_1100_RS_0522,0532_&diagId=18_0280

17Back to top Go down   Are there really K 1100 RS with just 60 kw (81 HP) ??? Empty Would not run wiuthout O2 sensor Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:58 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
duck wrote:Non-cat K1100s have a different Motronic and wiring harness w/o an O2(lambda) sensor.

But non-cat aftermarket exhausts usually have a bung for the O2 sensor (at least my Staintune and Remus exhausts do) so they can run on bikes that came from the factory with a cat.
I was just warned at another forum - if I would try installing an exhaust with no cat (and no O2 sensor - or how it is called too, "lambda-sond") on my bike which DOES have the cat and O2 sensor, I would get no ignition. So I have to go looking for a non-Swiss exhaust with the cat. Lucky factor is that K 1100 LT, K 100 RS 4valve and K 1 exhausts can be installed as well.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum