BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    RS Mirror/indicator on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:15 am

Davep

Silver member
Silver member
Hi All,

Some 'helpful' muppet managed to knock my wing mirror off the other day (Although they did put it on the seat), but as the mirror and indicator (turn signal) are part of the same unit I'm left with trying to add a new connector at both ends. I went to remove the element so I can solder a new bit of wire on and can't get it out. I release the spring clip and it drops about 3mm but not enough to extract it from the unit. Not enough room to fix it while it's in situ.

I have plenty of wire at the bike but as someone has already done the 'twist and tape' fix at the mirror unit I wanted to do a proper job which would also benefit if it happens again.

Is there a knack to removing the element or am I just been a bit to gentle, don't want to crack the mirror.

Thanks in advance

Dave

2Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 pm

JR_K100RS

Life time member
Life time member
G'day Dave , I'm not understanding what your problem is and what you are trying to do to remediate it , there is a socket fixed in the mirror housing that the indicator plug from the bike wiring harness will plug into , has the wire & plug been pulled apart or cut ? , normally when a mirror gets bumped off you just re-insert the plug for the indicator & then re-attach the mirror pod to the fairing

John Re

Melbourne Australia

3Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 am

Davep

Silver member
Silver member
Hi John Re,

The plug has been pulled out completely, the wire is no longer attached inside the mirror housing, it does look like its been cut and fixed a couple of times along the way. I have new plugs but can't get in to the housing body to attach new wire to the lamp element.

Cheers

Dave

4Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 pm

jahearne

I've only got a few hours on the K100RS, but already I've had to tape the left-hand mirror because it keeps wanting to commit suicide at every dip in the road! Luckily the lanyards prevented the fatality. From what little research I've done, it seems that these bits are hard to come by.

Based on another post, nearly a thousand of these are on back order through BMW. Didn't know we could still order parts from the dealer for our older K-bikes?! ;BMW;

Nobody reproducing the RS mirrors I take it.

John

5Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Snod Blatter

Platinum member
Platinum member
Are you saying you can't get the mirror pod off the bike? Because it just pulls off. Yours must be a tighter fit than mine!

Or are you saying you can't get the pod apart? Mine fell to bits as soon as I took the screw out and the springy clip thing, but then mine are in the same state as most other people's - nearly dead. I guess there may be some clips around the outside?

6Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Davep

Silver member
Silver member
Snod, the mirror is off, but it doesn't come apart. There is a spring clip which seems to hold the element where the bulb fits in, when I release the clip it drops but won't come out.

I have ended up using some tweezers and glue to attach the new wire to the base of the element and then fitted a plug, fitted a new plug at the bike so now it's as it should be, as long as you don't look to close (glue everywhere) but the indicator now works!!

Does anyone know if I was just lucky to get the wires the right way around, I just put the male plug on the mirror unit and the female at the bike end but didn't check if it worked before clamping, the plugs only fit one way, or wouldn't it have made a difference?

Cheers

Dave

7Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Snod Blatter

Platinum member
Platinum member
Ahhh congratulations! Though I'm not quite sure what you're doing gluing wires together scratch

It doesn't matter which way around the wires go, it's just a bulb - it'll work either way.

8Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I have found that the mirrors will often come apart if you twist them. I have had a few that wouldn't come apart but the ones that did come apart were in good shape and a good clean up with a blade they glued back together quite well. they needed painting after the treatment but nothing a rattle can of satin black didn't fix.

9Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 am

JR_K100RS

Life time member
Life time member
Now that you have fixed the issue with the wiring / plug / socket install a lanyard between the two mirror pods through the fairing insides this way if one is bumped off again it will not bounce on the road , I use a length of thin shock cord

John Re

Melbourne Australia

10Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 am

Davep

Silver member
Silver member
That sounds like a sensible plan John Re, I'll get that done.

Rick G, I might have to have a go at splitting the mirrors as although the casing is intact there are a few scuff marks and chips, could do with a lick of paint.

Thanks for all the advice, you are a wonderful bunch!!

Dave

11Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
If the mirror is popping off at the slightest bump the clamps that hold it on are weak. You can get new replacements, p/n 46 63 1 455 047. At $6.83 each they are a bit pricey, but way cheaper than a new mirror pod.

I have replaced several of them on my bike, and they hold much better than the 25 year old clamps they replaced. Get them while BMW still has them.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

12Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Davep

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Point-Seven-Five, Mine are about 34 years old so they've done their stint!

13Back to top Go down    Re: RS Mirror/indicator on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:45 am

KiwiK100

Silver member
Silver member
Lanyards of stainless steel wire cord are the go, not only to prevent damage if knocked off accidentally but to prevent an opportunist knocking them off. They are definitely getting harder to come by although with the kustoms kraze still in full swing there are a few sets about if your patient

1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles.
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Grand dads ride

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum