BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Output shaft Rivet Play on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:53 pm

GF Wollongong

Silver member
Silver member
Have replaced the anti-backlash spring and before I return the item to the bike...

How much movement or play is acceptable in the output shaft? I have the 6 rivet model and there is about 2mm side to side movement between the thinner black gear and the larger silver metal gear.

Is this okay. Is this consistent with original? If not can I just re-compress the rivets using a punch?

Failing all that ... anyone got a 12 rivet output shaft to fit a K100RT 1984

I have other parts and a barter may be possible

Regards

Guy

2Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 am

JR_K100RS

Life time member
Life time member
I'd say zero play Guy , not sure if you could hit the rivets , at best this would only be a temp solution , I replaced mine with the 12 rivet unit 6 years ago

John Re

Melbourne Australia

3Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:07 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
ZERO absolutely zero, with any play they rattle like 2 skeletons having a fuck in a tin bucket.
One member did play about with replacing the rivets with bolts but there have not been any results from him.
The 12 rivet shaft can be found from about mid 1990 engines and all 16v engines.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 am

GF Wollongong

Silver member
Silver member
Gloves off on the profanity front, Rick! And we've been holding back all these years.

NO MORE

And just in case: Are you in the market for a winnebago? ... with all the accoutrements
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ

Okay, will hunt down a 12 rivet output shaft

Was getting the rattle... assumed the spring but maybe the rivets!

Thanks for the reply

Guy

5Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:46 am

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
GF Wollongong wrote: I have the 6 rivet model and there is about 2mm side to side movement between the thinner black gear and the larger silver metal gear.

Loose rivets won't result in play between the gears, then something else must
be worn......depending on which direction the play is.
Loose rivets will result play between the larger gear and the big alu drum.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:01 am

Albyalbatross1

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:ZERO absolutely zero, with any play they rattle like 2 skeletons having a fuck in a tin bucket.
One member did play about with replacing the rivets with bolts but there have not been any results from him.
The 12 rivet shaft can be found from about mid 1990 engines and all 16v engines.
Hi Rick.. I did mess about and completed the replacement. The replacement output shaft has been running very well in Charlies Gerty!!!

7Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:33 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Hi Alby I didn't realize you had put it in Charlie's heap, he'll give it a good work out Laughing

8Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
when we did the change to the output shaft
I noticed wear of the large gears , not quite sharks toothed but certainly lost some meat in the gear teeth profile
I guess from rattling for so long
I could imagine that any other gear mating to the either of these would also be a bit rattly
but I guess that the auxiliary shaft driving the alternator -sprag clutch etc only works in one direction during normal running
Getry is now rattling atldle
so another pull down will be in the planning stages , and hope to find another damper section with 12 rivets this time and new damper rubbers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

9Back to top Go down    Re: Output shaft Rivet Play on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:27 am

GF Wollongong

Silver member
Silver member
Okay everyone

So that's two 12 rivet output shafts

In anticipation...

Guy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum