BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Lands End to John O'Groats Advice on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 am

Davep

Morning All,

A friend and me are planning a Lands End to John O'Groats trip, (bottom of the UK to the very top) just under 900miles. We've planned a bit of a route as there are a few people we are going to stop by and visit but just wandered if anyone had done the trip and has any advice? (places to stop, good roads, time of year etc.)

One of the things we are looking at is fuel stops north of Inverness, it seems to get a bit barren up that far and as my friends on a Kawasaki 500 (brave or stupid?) he has a range of about 120 miles. One of the things I think we need to remember is the 120 miles of nothingness beyond Inverness becomes 240 miles with the return journey so fuel becomes an issue. Is it worth carrying a jerry can?

Going for a full service and check over prior to the run as we may take a couple of days on the way up but I fancy a straight run back. And as this is the UK there is a good chance of rain and not a straight road in sight!

Cheers in advance

Dave

2Back to top Go down    Re: Lands End to John O'Groats Advice on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:43 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
IIRC there's a fuel station in Wick; my mate's done three Iron Butts and used that as a refuelling point each time. Truthfully, the RAC or AA are your best bet for that information; they'll charge a small fee (if you're a non-member) but at least you'll know the information is up to date.

OTOH - you are a member of at least one of those organisations, aren't you?

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

3Back to top Go down    Re: Lands End to John O'Groats Advice on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 am

Davep

Dai wrote:IIRC there's a fuel station in Wick; my mate's done three Iron Butts and used that as a refuelling point each time. Truthfully, the RAC or AA are your best bet for that information; they'll charge a small fee (if you're a non-member) but at least you'll know the information is up to date.

OTOH - you are a member of at least one of those organisations, aren't you?

Absolutely! Fully paid up member of the AA. Learnt the hard way about 20 years ago, after a 12 mile walk home in the rain, at night, in a pair of motorbike boots!

4Back to top Go down    Re: Lands End to John O'Groats Advice on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Definitely bring a spare fuel can.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Lands End to John O'Groats Advice on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
Dave,

Nice trip.

I won't be too worried about fuel - you mention 120 miles (distance from Inverness to John O Groats which equates to you going via the A9 coast road). There are several petrol stations along that route that should meet your needs. Have a look at google maps - pick a town/village somewhere on your route and type in petrol station - that will quickly tell you if it has one or not (and you can even street view it, to see if you like it or not!).

Time of year...having lived in Scotland for a few years, May is the best month, but really anytime shouldn't be a problem between April and October. I won't want to be on those road on a bike once there is snow in the forecast - but rain, I can handle as long as there is a promise of a warm B&B/pub at the end of the day. Watch out for speed cameras - the A9 has lots. On the other hand, the Cornwall end of the trip and Lands End can get very busy with holiday makers (caravans - ugh) during this time of year.

If you need somewhere to stop on route around the Bristol area, with secure parking and a bed for the night (and some convenient pubs etc), then drop me a PM...I live about 30 mile south of Bristol and you would be more than welcome.

Paul

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurancewrite-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red) (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike). June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

6Back to top Go down    Re: Lands End to John O'Groats Advice on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Ringfad

Life time member
Life time member
I travelled early June this year from Inverness via a very sodden Culloden and Loch Ness (not sure if I was in it or at it as it was so wet) to JOG.

We even met a Red K1 heading south as we progressed through the rain.

Plenty of fuel stops on the way even a small one on the left as you come in to JOG beside the johnogroatsbrewery.co.uk.

Our plan was to go to Orkney but the weather was so bad the ferries were cancelled.

We stayed in the Seaview Hotelenjoyed some of the above beer and it took a day to dry out, but as always the weather changed and we were able to continue east wards with great weather.

I plan to try again to get to Orkney but maybe not in June.

The A9 is not enjoyable in bad weather but must be stunning when good so good luck on your trip.

;BMW;K100RS Style Black 1987 99K Km ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 42KKm ;BMW;K1100RSRed 1993 50k miles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum