BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    neutral light on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Flash of the gap

avatar
active member
active member
ok, i,ve got a neutral light that,s on permenantly , also red light above it , any ideas bounce


__________________________________________________
bmw k100rs, 0010723 / 31000 mls
    

2Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
To learn about the neutral light, type gear position indicator in the forum's search box.

On a bike that functions correctly, that red light will turn off when both the front brake brake lever and the rear brake pedal have been tapped. It warns that a bulb is defective. What happens to yours?


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 68,000 miles
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:52 am

indian036

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Laitc wrote:On a bike that functions correctly, that red light will turn off when both the front brake brake lever and the rear brake pedal have been tapped. It warns that a bulb is defective. What happens to yours?
In addition, the red light won't turn off if a brake light switch isn't working, as is currently the case on BOB the Blue Old Bike.

Re the Gear Position Indicator, which feeds off the same switch as the neutral light, first and easiest check is to follow its wire, which comes up through the back end of the gearbox casting, under the battery holder and out the right side. It joins the main harness via a plug under the right battery cover.
Check that it is plugged in correctly, and the terminals are clean.

You mention the neutral light is permanently on. Does the Gear Position Indicator on the instrument panel show anything? Theoretically, if the neutral light is on, it should read 0.

Bill


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RT Red. VIN 0028991K100RT ENG 104EA248523386
1985 K100RT Blue. VIN 0029036K100RT ENG 104EA25852071
1990 K100LT Black. VIN WB105060310190452
1984 K100RT White. VIN. 0023022K100RT ENG 104EA32848523
    

4Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:39 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
It may be coincidence you have both on, as in two separate faults.

As Bill says check that connection. If its still showing 0 in the clocks in all gears then connector or the switch is your likely culprit.

Unfortunately to replace the Gear Position indicator [GPI] you have to remove the swing arm. I did put a new one in my K this year.

Check also if you have a working brake light from front or rear brakes. The switches go faulty too, if you have a faulty one you will not have brake light working from it.

If you have trouble with a GPI and possibly brake switches a word of advice. The clutch switch is same part as the front and rear brake switches on 2 valve Ks, if the clutch one goes and you don't have a working GPI to get neutral you won't be able to start the bike. So make sure you have a newish one in the clutch, you can always put the clutch one in the rear brake because you don't need tank off to access it, connector is inside right hand battery cover.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 58,645 now 60,500miles
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 am

Flash of the gap

avatar
active member
active member
@indian036 wrote:
Laitc wrote:On a bike that functions correctly, that red light will turn off when both the front brake brake lever and the rear brake pedal have been tapped. It warns that a bulb is defective. What happens to yours?
In addition, the red light won't turn off if a brake light switch isn't working, as is currently the case on BOB the Blue Old Bike.

Re the Gear Position Indicator, which feeds off the same switch as the neutral light, first and easiest check is to follow its wire, which comes up through the back end of the gearbox casting, under the battery holder and out the right side. It joins the main harness via a plug under the right battery cover.
Check that it is plugged in correctly, and the terminals are clean.

You mention the neutral light is permanently on. Does the Gear Position Indicator on the instrument panel show anything? Theoretically, if the neutral light is on, it should read 0.

thanks bill. the gear indicator looks bunched, it does not work,and it look like a water mark or dark blemish on it, wish i could post a pic to show Crying or Very sad


__________________________________________________
bmw k100rs, 0010723 / 31000 mls
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:47 am

Flash of the gap

avatar
active member
active member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:It may be coincidence you have both on, as in two separate faults.

As Bill says check that connection. If its still showing 0 in the clocks in all gears then connector or the switch is your likely culprit.

Unfortunately to replace the Gear Position indicator [GPI] you have to remove the swing arm. I did put a new one in my K this year.

Check also if you have a working brake light from front or rear brakes. The switches go faulty too, if you have a faulty one you will not have brake light working from it.

If you have trouble with a GPI and possibly brake switches a word of advice. The clutch switch is same part as the front and rear brake switches on 2 valve Ks, if the clutch one goes and you don't have a working GPI to get neutral you won't be able to start the bike. So make sure you have a newish one in the clutch, you can always put the clutch one in the rear brake because you don't need tank off to access it, connector is inside right hand battery cover.
thanks olaf, i need two new brake switches for shure


__________________________________________________
bmw k100rs, 0010723 / 31000 mls
    

7Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:49 am

Flash of the gap

avatar
active member
active member
@Laitch wrote:To learn about the neutral light, type gear position indicator in the forum's search box.

On a bike that functions correctly, that red light will turn off when both the front brake brake lever and the rear brake pedal have been tapped. It warns that a bulb is defective. What happens to yours?
just stays on permenant, brake light switch is bunched so i think that could be it


__________________________________________________
bmw k100rs, 0010723 / 31000 mls
    

8Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 am

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
The gear position indicator switch is repairable. Several of us have disassembled, cleaned and resealed them successfully. Do a search on GPI switch here and at Motobrick.com.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

9Back to top Go down    Re: neutral light on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 am

indian036

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Flash of the gap wrote:thanks bill. the gear indicator looks bunched, it does not work,and it look like a water mark or dark blemish on it, wish i could post a pic to show Crying or Very sad
Not uncommon for the gear indicator LCD panel to be black in lots of places its not supposed to be. In itself, it won't affect operation of the bike, just your necessity to remember what gear you're in. Several threads on replacing that if its an issue for you.
Assuming the connector I mentioned before is OK and cleaned, the next step is to remove the final drive and swing arm (see various posts on the forum and the downloadable workshop manual for info) so you can get to the switch - a round item held onto the back of the gearbox by two small bolts or screws. After removal, but still connected, use a screwdriver or something to rotate the switch's input shaft. All well, you should see the neutral light on sometimes and mostly off in a full turn, and maybe a hint of numbers in the blemished instrument. (ignition on)
The back can be carefully prised off (careful for small springs) after the likely hard and broken sealant is chipped off, and the contacts cleaned. There is a locator so it can only go back together one way.
Check operation again, and if OK, re-seal with silicone or similar.
If not, someone not too far away with a spare can plug in and check neutral light operation, hopefully. If so, chase a new or used replacement.

While apart, a good time to lubricate the driveshaft splines. Search the forum for the appropriate grease. Don't just use any old axle or bearing grease.

Let us know how you get on.

Bill


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RT Red. VIN 0028991K100RT ENG 104EA248523386
1985 K100RT Blue. VIN 0029036K100RT ENG 104EA25852071
1990 K100LT Black. VIN WB105060310190452
1984 K100RT White. VIN. 0023022K100RT ENG 104EA32848523
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum