BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Will early K's ever be collectible? on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 pm

swamp2

I'm continually surprised at how little $ early K's are selling for.  Given these are now 30+ years old and a truly significant milestone in BMW motorcycle development history, I'd expect to see some modest appreciation by now.  I certainly wish they would, as I find it tough to pass up some of the deals that pop up and have more of the things than I need!

Anyway, what does the community think?  Was it just that they're still so readily available due to high production volumes combined with high reliability (so current supply > demand)?  Styling not classic enough?  The fact that they've abandoned the particular engine configuration so it didn't have a long enough run to be a true classic?

Will they ever be collectible/valuable?

Steve

2Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
I have an '88 RT.  I've had it since new and it's cosmetically and mechanically almost new.  In the united states it's worth hardly anything. ($1200 ~ $2000)  It makes motorcycle rides.  Nothing wrong with it.

I guess I'll keep on keeping it and letting it age.

Will it ever increase in value?  Will it become collectable?  Never say never.  The RT's fairing was poorly designed, it's a knee-banger and heat catcher, aerodynamically it's pretty good, it runs smooth and has "enough" power. But because of the poorly designed fairing it's not a lot of fun to ride.

I don't think it's high on the collectors list of must have motorcycles.  I do know the RS has a much higher value.

- Bumblebee

Last edited by Bumblebee on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://Bugsmashers.org/phpbb

3Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Davep

I think that because of their reliability and those that have them love them and look after them you won't find it hard to find a basic or factory model. There are plenty of unmolested K's out there and as such they are not a rarity in pristine condition.

I also think that K owners ride their bikes rather than take them out on a nice Sunday afternoon to polish it and then roll it back in to the shed.

In the UK you can get an on the road older K for under £1000, with full luggage! I don't understand why everyone isn't riding them!! Very Happy

4Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
double tap

Last edited by Point-Seven-five on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
Double tap

Last edited by Point-Seven-five on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

6Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
My opinion is that the only BMW's that will ever be collectible will be older airheads.  I kind of think of the early K bikes as the Edsels of the BMW line.  Only difference is that they are mechanically superior to anything else BMW has ever made. 

Buy it to chase the horizon and don't worry about value.  If you bought one recently, you have what is arguably one of the best values in the history of motorcycles.  You have paid a little bit for a reliable, comfortable and good handling motorcycle that has it's own special charm. 

Perhaps all the hackers that are chopping up bricks into cappuccino racers will make the remaining bikes more valuable, but I wouldn't advise anyone to count on it.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

7Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Davep

Just to highlight my point, a couple of weeks ago I bought my son a 125cc Honda,... £850. I bought my K100rs for £650!

Dave

8Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:59 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
Everything is collectable, people collect all sorts of rubbish. Will they ever be worth anything is another matter. They were a mass produced machine and there were plenty made, so I very much doubt if they will ever appreciate in value.

9Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm

helensmellen

Doms last 2 K100s have both cost under £500 to buy. However its got to be a task for an insurance company to replace your bike for that little.
for comparison If you look at the prices of 70s mass produced Jap bikes only 5 years ago you must be astounded by the hike in their current prices. We were.
 The prices of the K100s over the past 18 months has more than doubled, which is good for those who have early models (8v). He has tasked his insurance company to value his, and as they have insured it as a classic, they must be prepared to accept the fact that to replace it or to repair it will cost them a tidy sum. any item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, but as owners we should remind our insurers that early K100s are now deemed classic, so should be valued accordingly. This is exactly what he said to Carol Nash's rep when he was talking about his renewal and they want pics and details for their underwriters. 
If a chopped one costs over 5k, why dont we command the price we want for their next new project, thereby saving the remaining quality machines from being ruined for eternity?

10Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 pm

swamp2

Point-Seven-five wrote:My opinion is that the only BMW's that will ever be collectible will be older airheads.  I kind of think of the early K bikes as the Edsels of the BMW line.  Only difference is that they are mechanically superior to anything else BMW has ever made. 

Buy it to chase the horizon and don't worry about value....
I'm not really worried about it, just sorta pondering.... I have an airhead ('77 R100S) which I bought at an auction a decade or so ago.  It's value may have gone up a bit by now.  But it certainly wasn't as significant of an event in BMW's motorcycle evolution as the K is.  They've done a few different engine configurations from the boxer since then - but the K was the first significant deviation.  That was why I was thinking it was somewhat of a milestone.

I just got back from riding my '85 K100RT.  It really is an excellent bike.  Should be worth more than it is...

Steve

11Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
My first brick cost £700 and I immediately threw a further £400 at the suspension to cure its wallowing pig tendencies. Six years and 50,000+ miles later it's had a few mods to the engine to increase the grunt but very little else. My second one cost £300 for a box of bits (well, several boxes of bits!) and I built an as-new machine for less than £900. I sold it for £1250 just before I finished the rebuild. Yes, the guy paid over the odds but I'd built a couple of bikes for him before and he knew what he was getting.

No, they're not worth much and never will be because, IMHO, they're too reliable to fall into that hole.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

12Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:04 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I don't think they will ever fall into the collectible category except for the K1.  There are many "True believers" who are as far as they are concerned the Ks aren't really a BMW and a "real" BMW only has one cylinder sticking out each side and is air cooled. The only ones of them that are commanding bigger prices are the R69s and the R90s.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:08 am

indian036

Life time member
Life time member
For those hoping to cash in big-time, I fear Rick is right.

What makes something valuable is rarity and demand. The K1 was a lower volume machine, so rarity comes in.
Demand is often related to nostalgia, and there are many machines that have a bigger nostalgia factor than the Ks.
Fortunately for me, otherwise I mightn't have had the good fortune to get a great bike cheaply, and subsequently the Kameraderie of this forum.

I'd love an early Honda 750 four, as it was around when I was a teenager, even though two people who I knew slightly were killed on them at the time. The interest persists even though many who know them rate their handling as not wonderful. I also couldn't justify spending 4x what a good K will cost for an inferior machine, nostalgia notwithstanding.

Bill

1984 K100RT White. VIN. 0023022K100RT  ENG 104EA32848523

14Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:55 am

JGT

Gold member
Gold member
BobT wrote:Everything is collectable, people collect all sorts of rubbish. Will they ever be worth anything is another matter. They were a mass produced machine and there were plenty made, so I very much doubt if they will ever appreciate in value.

Are you sure Bob. My first road bike was a 1949 BSA C11 bought in the mid 1960's. That and the C10 were mass produced in various forms and in later years were branded as ' grey porridge' by Ted Davis under the pseudonym 'one track', one of the contributors to Motorcycle Sport magazine.  Recently thought about buying one of these to re live old memories. A good one now £2500. The BM's will go up, grab em while you can. John

15Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:03 am

critter

it wasnt long ago when you could pick up a old xa ford for 500 in good condition now they getting 14 k for rust bit of crap so its hard to say really if the k be colectable one things for sure they make great cafe racers are tough and bullet proof  so while there being snaveled up as projects one would think at some stage they be worth somthing i do no money wouldnt buy mine its like my dog my mate

16Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:I kind of think of the early K bikes as the Edsels of the BMW line.

Edsels had quality and reliability problems.  Certainly not an issues with Ks.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

17Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
Duck, I didn't mean to imply that K's are inferior machines.  In the next sentence I mention that the difference between the K and the Edsel was that the K was the arguably the most reliable machine BMW ever made. 

I guess I should have made clear that where the K and the Edsel are similar is in the way they departed from the traditional design philosophies of the parent companies.  The Edsel was essentially a major styling change while the K represented a radical departure from the corporate engineering mindset. 

In both cases, the revolutionary product modifications were not as well appreciated by the core customer base as had been hoped.  While the Edsel had a one-two punch of awful styling and terrible reliability the K bikes didn't look too ugly for the time and had reliability and build quality that makes them such fantastic vehicles even today, over 30 years later. 

How many 25+ year old vehicles, with 125K miles do you know of that are used for a daily commute of 100+ miles like my K100?  How many 30 year old bikes are there that one can think nothing of hopping on and riding across a continent, be it North America, Europe, or Australia?  That, my friends, is the lovely secret of the K.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

18Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:04 pm

brickrider2

Gold member
Gold member
I've often marveled at the low price the K-bike fetch in the market.  I do recall the outcry from the owners when BMW introduced the radically different design, but that has dimmed with the passing of the years.  What seems to put off many riders today is the K-bike's reputation for having quirky wiring. Many (myself certainly included) are intimidated by electrical gremlins.

19Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:41 pm

sidecar paul

Life time member
Life time member
The worst thing that can happen to a motorcycle is to become 'collectable'.........they were all made for RIDING!

Paul.

20Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
brickrider2 wrote:What seems to put off many riders today is the K-bike's reputation for having quirky wiring. Many (myself certainly included) are intimidated by electrical gremlins.
Hans was on the schnapps the day he designed that wiring loom, trust me. There's a hell of a lot of it not protected by any fuses! As for the *stupid* idea of earthing the load shed relay through the starter motor; that's a real example of form over function - !

Before someone asks what I would have done (tries to head off the sarcasm Very Happy ), what I do is to feed the starter motor solenoid via the same relay that feeds the lights. Energised = starter motor, relaxed = lights. Same result as Hans' daft idea with none of the potential side-effects.

Aye, okay - the soapbox is now available for firewood.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

21Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 pm

GF Wollongong

Silver member
Silver member
We've only got ourselves to blame

Kids leaving / left home, improved affluence, a desire to revisit that first vehicle (Datsun 180B for me!)

As Critter said: what was cheap is now collectable

I got hold of this Vespa Rally for $150, resprayed it and sold it (with rust and not going) to some desperado sight unseen for $3500. That funded my 84RT purchase ($1000 ... lost the other $2500 to having to replace a power pole). The difference in engineering and riding experience between the vespa and K100 is barely measurable.

The Ks are like the Birkenstock of motorcycles: function over form a lot of the time. Thankfully they are made to be maintained a good thing for those who can do it and just want to ride. Just need to get a wig (shoulder length perm - as per BMW advertising shots for the K) and BMW Euro coloured clothing to get that period look going.

Lurking in the recesses of the garage is a another vespa (125cc 1963) with 8" wheels. 

Can't wait

Guy

PS anyone got front indicators for naked K100. I have the lenses but not mounting bracket. I likve in NSW Australia

Cheers

22Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
sidecar paul wrote:The worst thing that can happen to a motorcycle is to become 'collectable'.........they were all made for RIDING!

Paul.
cheers
I agree paul

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

23Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 pm

MartinW

Silver member
Silver member
Who cares if it is collectable ride it and love it.
Regards Martin.

24Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 am

Flash of the gap

i paid 500 euro for mine , body work was rough, it cost me another 600 to get it to where i,m happy, doubt it has a collectors market, people want to make cafe racers and the likes from them, they are pretty ugly in their true form

25Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 am

swamp2

MartinW wrote:Who cares if it is collectable ride it and love it.
Regards Martin.
Honestly, I don't really care much - my 3 K100's are far from pristine, and it's not like I'm counting on them escalating in value to augment my retirement income.  It was really just something I'm curious about.  First year/early models of new bikes have often been the ones to develop the highest collectible status ('59 Bonneville's, '69 CB750's,  etc) and given that the K was the springboard for every non-boxer BMW since and really launched the image change for them - well, it just seems significant to me.  No, I'm not suggesting they will ever be regarded as significant as the Bonnie or CB750.

Makes me wonder if there's any bike introduced in the last 35 years that will ever really appreciate in value.

Steve

26Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 am

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
swamp2 wrote:
Makes me wonder if there's any bike introduced in the last 35 years that will ever really appreciate in value.
The 1996 Valkyrie. Needs another 30 years though. 

27Back to top Go down    Re: Will early K's ever be collectible? on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:25 am

WoodyAUK75

Silver member
Silver member
K's will never be worth much because we are the ones who want them, and we are all cheap bastards! I paid $6500 for mine in 2003, and it was insured for that. By 2007 the insurance value was $8000. Since the GFC it has made it's way back to $6500. Now for a 24yr old vehicle to have an insurance value of half its new price? Can you imagine me trying to get an agreed value of $16000 on my AU Falcon. Now imagine I tried to sell the K for $6500? ( Mind you, I am not sure I would let it go for that!)

Woody
93 K75s

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum