BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   exhaust analyzer help needed Empty exhaust analyzer help needed Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:04 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Not sure whether this should be in the electrical section but here goes..

I recently bought an old Gunsons professional gas tester and it  got inadvertently tipped over onto its side.

The co display now reads a much lower value than before and is unable to reach the 2% calibration point.

When in use, the meter does adjust to changes, but the value range is now far too low.

Can anyone had experience of adjusting the unit to show the correct range again.

Thanks in advance for any help

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

2Back to top Go down   exhaust analyzer help needed Empty Re: exhaust analyzer help needed Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
How long have you run the analyzer?  It's possible that some water got into the sensor and needs some extra run time to clear it out.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   exhaust analyzer help needed Empty Re: exhaust analyzer help needed Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:37 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
+1 After use it is extremely important that you purge the unit for the recommended duration if not longer. I've had mine for 18 years and it's one of my best investments. However in order to get the best out of it needs to be treated with care, and patience. Follow the instructions to the letter and allow time for the unit to settle between small adjustments. And if you want to keep it do not loan it out, if mates want to use let them come around and let you do the adjustments, the more practice the better. Once you have finished with your adjustments you can tell if they are right with a OEM built in test on 2v Bricks. With the bike idling at 1000 rpm press the green starter button, if correct the revs should stay the same or rise slightly. if you experience a significant rise or a drop the mixture will require readjusting.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   exhaust analyzer help needed Empty exhaust analyzer help needed Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:47 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Hi guys,

my gunson professional gas tester gave very similiar readings from my k when compared to the results from an mot standard machine, prior to me being clumsy .

The small water outlet pipe at the rear of the box is very short and I never saw water coming out during testing.

I left the unit plugged in for a couple of hours to see if the CO qould reach a positive value, but the best was -3.5 , with the lowest value achieved whilst turning the calibration dial was -19 .

I will try and leave  it plugged in again for longer to see what happens.

I will check to see what happens when I press the starter button at idle when the motor is properly warm, but I reckon she is about right as the plugs are nice and brown with the tips a light grey colour.

I will take her to the mot guy for a  reading anyway 

If my unit is displaying low, is there anyway to reset the calibration reading value.

Thanks again

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

5Back to top Go down   exhaust analyzer help needed Empty Re: exhaust analyzer help needed Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:02 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
One of the resident electrical Guru's may be able to help. I've never had a problem with mine, but unfortunately due to their light weight build and delicate nature they need kid gloves. As you unfortunately have found out. Due to the build I have never loaned mine out.
Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down   exhaust analyzer help needed Empty Re: exhaust analyzer help needed Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I've noticed that mine is so light that the hoses can tip it over if I am not careful.  It is a shame the darn thing is sealed.  I'd like to put a chunk of ballast in it to help keep it steady where I put it.  The ultra light weight is my only complaint with mine.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content