BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Overture

Overture
Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick Zq4jJmU

Hi All, Welcome to my resurrection of a 1984 K100RT!

First off some brief history of the Bike! As far as I know prior to me purchasing it it was owned by my work mate! And his brother in-law before that!
This is the early 2000's when she was still in one piece;
Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick SaxGRBd
Then after he (the brother in-law) dropped it 4 times;
Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick BFpUf2ZOverture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick Fniy4bT

Both panniers were broken the entire mount for the front fairing was held together with duck tap!
Then my work mate, did a at home naked conversion!

Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick CIbSghG

Which is where we stand now, a homemade bracket (complete with tech screws!~) holds the OEM headlight pretty well!

TBC!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
well we/ve seen worse

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OOverture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick Au-log10

"redframe" rs "bitsa"  with many contributions from the k100 community ,,with many thanks

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@charlie99 wrote:well we/ve seen worse
I've done worse and it only took one off, not four!! Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick 44271

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

Overture

Overture
New fuel pump is in!.. I seem to only have a picture of the seized one.

Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick ICfkZrq

And first start; Anyone got a riders manual? I have no idea what that Yellow warning light is? (Did a quick search can only find info on the red lights etc.)

Anyone had any use of this product?
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Septone-Ali-Brite-Aluminium-Cleaner-1-Litre/1747

Looks similar to Deoxit?

Also seem to have a slight fuel leak... new line is on the way!
Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick Sy2DZLk

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yellow light is the  ...ahem ...choke lever activated ....there is a switch on the throttle cam activation to the throttle bodies ..(same type switch as brakes and clutch lever )

good work !!!!!

sounds like a k bike to me already

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OOverture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick Au-log10

"redframe" rs "bitsa"  with many contributions from the k100 community ,,with many thanks

Overture

Overture
@charlie99 wrote:yellow light is the  ...ahem ...choke lever activated ....there is a switch on the throttle cam activation to the throttle bodies ..(same type switch as brakes and clutch lever )

good work !!!!!

sounds like a k bike to me already

Shes a little rough, but that was no choke... at least I'm pretty sure. Maybe a dodgey sensor? Or does the cable need to be adjusted?
Now I've looked up what sticker should be on the choke switch I know... Rolling Eyes ....

Forgive me lack of know how! I'm waiting for the service manuals to show up.

I've also let her run for about 30 or so minutes 2-3 times and shes not blowing smoke anymore and sounds way better.
Going to drop the oil and do the gearbox/rear drive area tomorrow.

Also looking at coolant options, the BMW stuff is crazy pricey?
Anyone used good old Green Penrite?
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/categories/motorcycle-go-kart/coolants/7-year-450000km-green-premix

A common fault from what I've been reading is the water pump, so she needs to be checked out!

Thanks!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
maybe the switch is toast or just needs cleaning ?

wont be the first that we have seen go west

but possibly there is a slight adjustment issue  with the cable - or throttle bar set screw

I guess in time that will be sorted ...after a bit of a tune up

the service manuals are available right here in the forum

just look for the downloads section ....prerequisites are number of posts ...and the magic password

good luck

Overture

Overture
@charlie99 wrote:maybe the switch is toast or just needs cleaning ?

wont be the first that we have seen go west

but possibly there is a slight adjustment issue  with the cable - or throttle bar set screw

I guess in time that will be sorted ...after a bit of a tune up

the service manuals are available right here in the forum

just look for the downloads section ....prerequisites are number of posts ...and the magic password

good luck

Might need a good cleaning, I'll dig in tomorrow when I do the fuel line and take the tank off for the first time.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Overture

Overture
Oh wow, thanks Duck! I'll read into that tomorrow.

Legend.

Life time member
Life time member
Good progress. I can't believe the state of the fuel pump rubber. I've seen pictures of them before but it never ceases to amaze me.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Try soaking the old pump in vinegar for a week or two. Sometimes soaking and applying 12v briefly then alternating the + & -  can break them free. If it has signs of life and it looks like it is trying to move either resoak or you can up the voltage very briefly to 18v and try alternating the connections. Always good to have a spare.
Regards Martin.

Overture

Overture
@MartinW wrote:Try soaking the old pump in vinegar for a week or two. Sometimes soaking and applying 12v briefly then alternating the + & -  can break them free. If it has signs of life and it looks like it is trying to move either resoak or you can up the voltage very briefly to 18v and try alternating the connections. Always good to have a spare.
Regards Martin.

It's soaking now Martin thanks!

Some more quick updates, ran the bike until the fan came on 15~ minutes, noticed a milky residue at the sight glass.... and behold I've got a chocolate milkshake in my engine.......

Sooo looks like I'm rebuilding the pumps/seal wise! or I may follow Chris Harris' advice and get a used/reconditioned unit.

Otherwise I'm waiting for parts now, but I'll update the pics soon!

-C

Overture

Overture
Lost of progress, kinda dropped off the radar.

I've had injector problems for a couple of weeks, finally ordered some Standard FJ27 Injector's from RockAuto as mine are still not spraying.

Rewired the Acewell Dash and a new LED headlight from Max Design. Also put on a new lower plate mount in preparation for the new seat and configuration.

Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick CwVNEsQ

Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick GZe0sYm

Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick Ssz3bpg

Also cleaned the garage! Still need to organise way more, it was getting pretty bad.

Overture's 84' K100RT Build - The Flying Rick Ntmk0hL

Overture

Overture
Back on the issue of the injectors, I've got fuel at the rail. The injectors connections are flashing with a test light.

Fuel pump is running perfectly and the pin test on the ECU plug said everything was fine, anyone got any other idea's?

I did have the plug to the ignition unit slightly unseated but it's now reconnected. Could I have killed a relay? But if it was the fuel relay wouldn't it also kill the pump?

It's super strange as the bike was running perfectly.

Unless all 4 injectors just died as the fuel rail was pretty clogged with crap and needed a soak in carby cleaner.
I should also mention when 12v is directly applied to the injectors they work 100%.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum