BMW K bikes (Bricks)


You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
I picked up this 16v 1000 today. It's not been run in 7 years but in that K fashion, clean fuel and a new battery had it spluttering into life-it runs really nice now!
About 10 minutes after shutting it down the left indicator came on and stayed on. I hit the cancel button but it refused to go out, cancel works on the right side though. I disconnected the battery in a poor attempt to reset everything but no, it's still on. I have not gone through all the block connectors etc yet but wondered if any of you guys had experienced something similar.

Thanks,
Mike.

    

robmack

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Could be the left indicator button is dirty and won't retract after being pushed. If this happens, the button remains permanently grounded and the indication can't be cancelled. Check and service the left switch cluster.


__________________________________________________
Robert
1987 K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
    

Ringfad

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
My thoughts are the same as Robmacks. I believe Curley had this issue and it was a sticky left hand switch.

That is a nice looking bike you have acquired.


__________________________________________________


;BMW;K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 51KKm ;BMW;K1100RSRed 1993 70k miles ;BMW; K100 16V Black (ex ElectricMonk)
    

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Ringfad wrote:My thoughts are the same as Robmacks. I believe Curley had this issue and it was a sticky left hand switch.

That is a nice looking bike you have acquired.
Thanks.
I'll begin thorough investigation tomorrow. I'm going to split and clean every connection and will look into the controls as a matter of course. I did wonder about the contacts inside because the starter button struggles to make a contact when you go for a start.
I'll be checking the relays too.

Thanks guys, I'll keep the post informed. 👍

    

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
I've found the problem with the indicator staying on, the relay is shot. I can't see anything physically wrong but what do you do?
I swapped it out for a spare and it's perfect now.

I have another issue though, the speedometer doesn't work! I've checked all connections so I'm thinking that it can only be the sender or the unit itself-any other clues out there?

    

Chocolate

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Hello!

You properly have a other UNIT to swap/test, then you know where the issue sits.

If it's not the unit.

1.) clean the connection/magnet at the rear wheel
2.) check the connection at the right sight of the frame

Cheers


__________________________________________________
Only a few activities make me experience my senses in a way motorcycle riding does, it is like swimming in the nude in a river.
K75 BA/1992 ABS, K75 BA/1991 noABS, Ducati, Mobylette M1/1973
    

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Chocolate wrote:Hello!

You properly have a other UNIT to swap/test, then you know where the issue sits.

If it's not the unit.

1.) clean the connection/magnet at the rear wheel
2.) check the connection at the right sight of the frame

Cheers
Hi Chocolate,
All connections are clean and sound including the multi-pin on the back of the instruments. I do have another set and will try them as soon as I can. I also have another sender.
I've never had a K with so many electrical faults. I suppose it had to happen eventually. scratch

    

Chocolate

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
You will solve it, I'm sure!


__________________________________________________
Only a few activities make me experience my senses in a way motorcycle riding does, it is like swimming in the nude in a river.
K75 BA/1992 ABS, K75 BA/1991 noABS, Ducati, Mobylette M1/1973
    

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
@Motorbike Mike wrote:I've found the problem with the indicator staying on, the relay is shot. I can't see anything physically wrong but what do you do?
I swapped it out for a spare and it's perfect now.

I have another issue though, the speedometer doesn't work! I've checked all connections so I'm thinking that it can only be the sender or the unit itself-any other clues out there?



build up of fine filings on the sender unit ....but usually the connections under the rhs side cover ....they corrode up ....a fine file may remove some of the crud off the pins ...but you need to do the socket part as well and then crimp the rollover connections just a little so that they grab the pins properly and firmly

good luck


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

Garyk100

avatar
Platinum member
Platinum member
Looks a good buy, the tank to seat cover is different no sidecovers, I have a similar K, but have just bought a k1100, that had sat for 2 years I was told, if yours sat for 7 yrs what was the state of the inside of your tank, mine the hoses had turned to licorice, and a horrible smelling goo over everything, cheers Gary


__________________________________________________
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

1991 K100rs16v
1993 K1100LT
    

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
The previous owner emptied the tank before he stored it!
I have the side panels but they don't fit with the low seat option.

It will make one-eventually.

    

Garyk100

avatar
Platinum member
Platinum member
@Motorbike Mike wrote:The previous owner emptied the tank before he stored it!
I have the side panels but they don't fit with the low seat option.

It will make one-eventually.
Thanks, good thinking by previous owner, good luck with it, had mine 19 yrs and still a pleasure to ride,


__________________________________________________
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

1991 K100rs16v
1993 K1100LT
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum