BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Repair heated grip Empty Repair heated grip Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hi fellas, with the cooler mornings in BC now I'm wanting to sort out my factory heated grips, which haven't worked since I got the bike.  I've almost got it all now, but there is a break in the wire wrapped around the right throttle tube.  I know where the break is, but wonder about patching it with just any old piece of stainless wire.  It would seem to me the factory stuff has some form of resistance to generate the heat?  Has anyone successfully repaired this kind of issue?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

2Back to top Go down   Repair heated grip Empty Re: Repair heated grip Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:24 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
This vid might help.

3Back to top Go down   Repair heated grip Empty Re: Repair heated grip Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:48 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Laitch, it's what I needed to know!

*****can a moderator move this into technical repair and troubleshooting?  It's more appropriate there.***

4Back to top Go down   Repair heated grip Empty Re: Repair heated grip Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:03 am

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
i just repaired mine , just used a single copperwire and soldered it 
then some electrical tape like in the video 
it takes a litlle patience and fingerspitz gefúll 😛

but it still works 👍

k-rider

5Back to top Go down   Repair heated grip Empty Re: Repair heated grip Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Right.  So after finding multiple breaks in the heating element wire I have soldered up the damaged areas, bridging broken areas with about 4 strands of copper wire twisted together (pulled from 18 ga automotive wire), covered the throttle tube with black duct tape and reinstalled the grip.  Now it works.  That's 8 hours I'll never get back...

6Back to top Go down   Repair heated grip Empty Re: Repair heated grip Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:46 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
club_c wrote:Right.  So after finding multiple breaks in the heating element wire I have soldered up the damaged areas, bridging broken areas with about 4 strands of copper wire twisted together (pulled from 18 ga automotive wire), covered the throttle tube with black duct tape and reinstalled the grip.  Now it works.  That's 8 hours I'll never get back...
wow multiple breaks , i wonder how that can happend , 
good effort with the 8hour repair , it will  come back to you every time you turn on the heat(et) grips 😊

k-rider

7Back to top Go down   Repair heated grip Empty Re: Repair heated grip Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:55 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I'm sure that grip had some rough handling. The PO had things disconnected and left in such a way he was obviously having difficulty with it before me.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum