BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Removing the Air Box Empty Removing the Air Box Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:35 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
I tried to remove my airbox but could only manage to remove half of it. The other half seems to be much harder to get off, I've been told they're attached by Hose Clips but I cannot find the screw head. Any help?

Removing the Air Box P1020010
Removing the Air Box P1010910

Thanks,
DBRMN

2Back to top Go down   Removing the Air Box Empty Re: Removing the Air Box Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
I'd say that you need to remove the OTK connectors ( single use crimp on clamps ) on the inlet rubbers before the rest of the air box will move

I've never had mine apart but just suggesting from the pictures

John Re

Melbourne Australia

3Back to top Go down   Removing the Air Box Empty Re: Removing the Air Box Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:17 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes that's right jr

at least one row of clips need to be removed ...opr at least expanded ...unlessyou can pull the fuel rail , injectors etc and remove the 2 bolts per cylinder that hold the rubber mounts to the head

the hard ones to get at are at the front beside the water stub (on the inside )

you can cut the clips ....or ...use a set of expanding circlip pliers ...with a right angled bend ...and work the crimp section of the clips open ...they should release if widened far enough ...

not easy but doable without  too much drama
the easiest ones to get to are above the throttle bodies

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Removing the Air Box Empty Re: Removing the Air Box Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Those one use Oetiker clamps can be replaced with thin hose clamps. (I just carefully cut the old ones off with a Dremel cutting wheel.)

Removing the Air Box K75f_tbs

Note that the leftmost (forward) two need to be positioned so as not to interfere with throttle operation.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   Removing the Air Box Empty Re: Removing the Air Box Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:47 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:yes that's right jr

at least one row of clips need to be removed ...opr at least expanded ...unlessyou can pull the fuel rail , injectors etc and remove the 2 bolts per cylinder that hold the rubber mounts to the head

the hard ones to get at are at the front beside the water stub (on the inside )

you can cut the clips ....or ...use a set of expanding circlip pliers ...with a right angled bend ...and work the crimp section of the clips open ...they should release if widened far enough ...

not easy but doable without  too much drama
the easiest ones to get to are above the throttle bodies

good luck
Ok sorry your gonna have to be way more specific I'm a complete noob and most of what your saying I don't understand.

6Back to top Go down   Removing the Air Box Empty Re: Removing the Air Box Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
The things that looks like screw less hose clamps are in fact single use clamps without any screws to tighten or release. If you want to remove the section of the airbox in your photo (which is not really the air box strictly speaking) youll need to devise a way to remove these clamps and then have some news ones and the correct tool, or some normal style thin hose clamps to replace them when its time to reinstall. 

I just used a flat blade screw driver, put the tip up into the 'pinched' section on the old clamps and levered it side to side and also rotated the tip as if undoing a screw to loosen the 'pinch' in the clamp.

I had on hand a large selection of BMW hose clamps that are used in many other places on the bike and used 8 of these to replace the single use clamps. Cant remember the correct diameter but easy enough to measure.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum