BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:08 pm

DBRMN

Life time member
Life time member
Had to redesign the box as it was impossible to weld, the result has a lip which looks ugly but i'm going to fill the welds to make them smooth then paint the box so I think it's going to look beautiful. I'm yet to tap the hole for the fill cap, and the inlet/outlet pipe. I also need to explore if I want a level sight glass, was thinking of recycling the one off the original box. Here are some pictures,

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2315
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2316[url=https://servimg.com/view/19788995/124]BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2319
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2318[/url]

There Air intake system is really coming together, I made an o-ring for the Airbox-to-air sensor side which makes it a snug fit. I've also made a another adapter for the other side which gives me a rectangle to circle conversion so I can pop an Pod filter on (Picture below, I'll be test fitting it Friday). I've painted the Air sensor and will post pictures soon. But for now heres my new filter: (RC-8300)

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2321
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2320
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Screen11

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec

52Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Well I think the filter looks great but it does stick out a bit too far so I think I'm going to push it in by 3-4cm.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2323
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2322

53Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Just put a chunk of mesh stainless over the mouth of the MAF sensor to keep the birds and mice out.  It's not like this bike is going to get 10's of thousands of miles anymore.  Just don't go out in dust storms.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

54Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@Point-Seven-five wrote:Just put a chunk of mesh stainless over the mouth of the MAF sensor to keep the birds and mice out.  It's not like this bike is going to get 10's of thousands of miles anymore.  Just don't go out in dust storms.
Yeah I'm gonna push it in 32mm see what it looks like and take it from there. A mesh would look quite nice can't lie, and your right it's probably going to spend most of its life inside.

55Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:40 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
So it may not look like it but I've taken the Pod Filter in as far as I can, about 32mm which is a significant amount. The whole system fits like a glove, however the bracket I've used to hold the air sensors in place has a tendency to pull the air sensor off the airbox. However this is very much solvable with added support in the bracket and making sure the bent angles are all accurate. Hopefully this will be sorted soon. Along with the mounting of the ABS unit and the Battery in the same space.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2329
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2328
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2326

56Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Had to adjust the bracket due to it having alot of play, it would wobble around and flex so designed a support for it. Its not as solid as a brick and the perfect place to mount other things. Gave it a coat of paint and it looks lovely very happy with it. 

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2511
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2512
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2510

However the 3D printed part I made was the source of a major air leak, so I topped up the silicon sealant where it met the air sensor and added two extra greased o-rings at the other end to ensure a tight secure fit. It meant now my bracket was forcing it into place and holding it firmly. 

New exhaust sounds amazing, very loud though and definitely not road legal but thats not a worry for me yet, the silencer only cost me £30. Induction noise is also amazing but can't be heard in the video very well:

57Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:45 pm

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
It's truly heartwarming to see a kid of your years (and I don't mean that in any way disrespectfully) getting really stuck into a motorbike. Didn't realise you were that young, you're way way in front of where I was at that age.
I can say without any doubt that my best mates are all motorcyclists. No question.

58Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@chris846 wrote:It's truly heartwarming to see a kid of your years (and I don't mean that in any way disrespectfully) getting really stuck into a motorbike. Didn't realise you were that young, you're way way in front of where I was at that age.
I can say without any doubt that my best mates are all motorcyclists. No question.
Thank you so much I started this project when I was 16, I have been so lucky to even be able to do this project, the facilities at my school are incredible. Thats why I'm rushing at the moment because after A Levels I have to leave Sad. But I can't take all the credit, of course this forum has been a major help and an array of people who throw ideas in when I'm stuck. Hahah yeah my girlfriend always questions what I'm more interested in my bike or her  (o) .

59Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:06 am

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
"Hahah yeah my girlfriend always questions what I'm more interested in my bike or her"

That does change, after twenty or so years she'll accept (but not understand) that's it's a good deal for her that you'd rather spend time with motorbikes than other women.

60Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:36 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
....it's a good deal for her that you'd rather spend time with motorbikes than other women.

Chris I'll be sending my wife (of 23 yrs) to you so that you can confirm what she already knows in her heart.  Maybe use the 'BBC' tone when you talk to her and then it will be entirely indisputable.  If you could, also try to sell her on the idea that "money spent on BMW parts leaves one incapable of spending money on women".  Thanks brother, much appreciated.     BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 112350

DBRMN I went to a similarly well appointed high school but never left with anything remotely like what you've accomplished with your K project.  You've done well and you can take a lot of pride in what you have built.  Enjoy your time at university.

61Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
So its been a while but slowly easing back into working on the bike as exams are slowly drawing to a close, only got two left. 

Today I had quite a productive day, went from this:

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_3113
(please appreciate how good the lighting was lol)

To this:
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_3112

In the first picture you can see my coolant overflow tank mounted now it's time to start making it look good. So I've started to neaten it up, the main think is filling the recess. I know no one likes to see this much body filler but its a necessary evil and I don't mind it so its happening lol.

This is the first layer of body filler, I'm going to do a second layer some other time plus smoothing out the welds and and dents/holes. Make it look beautiful, then a lovely coat of paint so it hopefully won't be noticeable like the bracket I made earlier for the pod filter.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_3114

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum