BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boostd4

boostd4
Silver member
Silver member
I got a set of 3-spoke wheels for my K100.  The front is a K75S and fits perfect. The rear is an 18x4.5 and I'm not sure what bike it came off of, but it bolts up just fine.

The problem I'm having is the center cap.  It looks like the center cap should be grabbing a bolt - my 85 K100RS does not have a bolt here.  How are people getting these to stay on?

TIA

Is it possible to fit 18" 3-spoke center cap to a 2V K100? Tsl3nWq

I really like the way the wheels look, but the center cap would really set off the rear... those silver bolts break up the all black look.

Is it possible to fit 18" 3-spoke center cap to a 2V K100? VobJ7ik
Is it possible to fit 18" 3-spoke center cap to a 2V K100? YudaJYP

boostd4

boostd4
Silver member
Silver member
I could use some squeezy cheese (what my dealership calls RTV)...  I suppose a strong pick inside the slots would be able to get it off when I needed but the cure time kinda sucks...

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Hi boostd,

The clip normally engages with the centre hole in your first image - i.e. clips from inside the hole rather than outside a bolt or something.

Is the centre cap the original from the bike or did it come with the wheel? I suspect that the thickness and profile of the new wheel doesn't allow the cover to go in far enough to clip properly.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

boostd4

boostd4
Silver member
Silver member
It came with the wheel and the prongs don’t reach anywhere near the hole.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It's a small alu cup around the center bolt on the paralever models where this cover is used.
A cover from a 3 spoke wheel of a K75 will fit directly.

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
As Inge K has stated there is one more part required when fitting the 4.5x18 rear , a small cup shaped piece that is held in place by the 5th centre bolt , once you install that the newer centre cap engages into it and Bob's your uncle

same thing happened to me when I sourced 3 spoke wheels for my thing

John Re

Melbourne Australia

boostd4

boostd4
Silver member
Silver member
I ended up using a few dabs of RTV at select spots under the cover and it's nice and secure but I can pull it up with a pick inserted in the slot.  Good enough for now.

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Looking at the length of the prongs, they are way too short compared to a K75S.  

I've just checked a K75S cap (17" rear wheel) and the length of the prongs is about 42mm with the base about 25mm.  I would suggest that your prongs are about 25mm in length so do not reach.  

Motobins.co.uk have new caps still available for 13 quid, so they are still out there.  I have one of theirs as a spare and it is the same length as my original.  

I hope this helps, Dave.

johny brando

johny brando
boostd4 wrote:I got a set of 3-spoke wheels for my K100.  The front is a K75S and fits perfect. The rear is an 18x4.5 and I'm not sure what bike it came off of, but it bolts up just fine.

The problem I'm having is the center cap.  It looks like the center cap should be grabbing a bolt - my 85 K100RS does not have a bolt here.  How are people getting these to stay on?

TIA

Is it possible to fit 18" 3-spoke center cap to a 2V K100? Tsl3nWq

I really like the way the wheels look, but the center cap would really set off the rear... those silver bolts break up the all black look.

Is it possible to fit 18" 3-spoke center cap to a 2V K100? VobJ7ik
Is it possible to fit 18" 3-spoke center cap to a 2V K100? YudaJYP

Take the existing sprung steel clip off ( = perfect template ) then Cut & extend the existing arms .......or make a complete new one to lengh.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
perhaps just order a second hand part for k100 8 valve ...from motor works

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=40&Ct=UA&SbCt=BA_10_40_UA_70&spPage=2 

the three spoke version is only 7 pounds ...plus postage

or

ask beemer boneyard to look around for the right part

or

perhaps some kind soul has a spare here on the forum ?

I'm looking for one also

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum