BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

WINGLESS

WINGLESS
Hi All,

I've tried cast iron discs with sintered pads. Performance quite good but as the bike lives outdoors and only gets occasional use I've found that due to dampness the pads "weld" or freeze to the discs. Even had to dismantle and chisel pad from disc. Gone back to sintered pads and standard discs.

At the risk of re-opening an old debate are there any better callipers / mastercylinder I could fit to effect an improvement?

thanks again

Ian

Last edited by WINGLESS on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add name)

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
perhaps best option is to fit braided lines to the calipers ...all the way from the master cylinder

many have noted on inspection that old rubber lines tend to expand on application , loosing the full effect of brake feel and pressure

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Try Charlie's suggestion first. In addition, if you have a bridge pipe between the left and right calipers, think about running lines straight from the MC to each caliper instead.

Also, if you can find a 1991-95 R80R/R100R Mystic master cylinder (P/N 32722314022) which is 16mm diameter, you can substitute it for the K100's and will work in this application without any modification to any other throttle components. It larger than the stock 13mm MC and will change the feel of the front brake, making it stiffer.

Try the suggestions on this URL: http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/2vbrakes/2vbrakes.htm

I can't say that you will end up with a reduced stopping distance because that is dependant upon the condition of all the braking components - tires, pads, rotors, brake fluid, etc. - as well as your skills.

WINGLESS

WINGLESS
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for that suggestion.
Should have stated I already have those.

Ian

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
If you want more brake power, there are few alternatives:
-better friction between discs and pads: change quality.
- larger surface between discs and pads = bigger diameter for discs or different calipers: you may try the 48mm Brembo that are OEM on single brake flat-twins, but you'll need at least a 16mm master cylinder.
- smaller wheel diameter (change for 17  inches)
Much simpler: a K11 front end.

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Some say that sintered pads don't work too well with cast discs, though I haven't tried it myself. What I have tried is Ferodo Platinums (not quite sintered) and they were fairly rubbish, I'm now running standard black EBCs and they're better though much shorter lived. I'm almost not too unhappy about the brakes now! No doubt there are better combinations waiting to be found, everyone has good things to say about Brembo pads but I'm not paying that.

Also, cast discs in Scotland is asking for trouble Laughing EBC make some not-too-cast semi floaters, they might work better with sintered pads. Expensive though, I'd find some lightly used originals instead..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum