BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    Not funny at the time...... on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:30 pm

audibob

avatar
Platinum member
Platinum member
Trundling my way down the M42 today at a steady 70mph I suddenly noticed the revs were at 5k . instead of the normal 4400 . affraid

Storm clouds hovered above me with thoughts of :


1. I know there is a slight oil mist at the exit hole under the clutch housing  so has the main seal gone and the clutch needs to come out.

2. Did I adjust the clutch correctly.

3. Do I carry on  to my destination or limp her home.

After riding some five miles at 60 mph to consider my options,  I glanced down at the gear indicator only to see I was still in 4th......

My usual trick is to try for 6th, its the first time I have ignored 5th

Should have gone to spec savers.....Those in the UK will understand..


__________________________________________________
Yamaha 90
Honda CD 175
Honda CB 360 
Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike
    

2Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:02 pm

larrikin

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
You could give it a John Cleese good old thrashing Smile


__________________________________________________

88 BMW K100RS

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Davep

avatar
Silver member
Silver member


After riding some five miles at 60 mph to consider my options,  I glanced down at the gear indicator only to see I was still in 4th......
When I took my son to pick up his first 125cc, after some distance we pulled over so I could check he was OK and he asked if he should have got to 3rd at any point, must have been 5 miles or so! Embarassed


__________________________________________________
BMW K100RS 1983 (Main ride)
                      Suzuki GSX 750 ET 1979 (Needs work)
                      Kawasaki Zephyr 750 1992 (Needs hiding)
    

4Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Stan

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Thank goodness that we have a gear position indicator. I had a Yamaha 175 Ag bike and neutral was the lowest point and you go up to get into first etc. Many a person attempted to go down into first and kept kicking at the lever. Neutral and 5 up.


__________________________________________________
 
1983 K100 basic vin 0003960 colour red
1987 K100RT vin 0094685 colour, orange peel, sorry, pearl
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
@audibob wrote:Should have gone to spec savers.....Those in the UK will understand..
As well, in OZ, though not a high-quality establishment in my estimation. Sign in their window some years back: "All major credit cards excepted." (sic) Someone needs glasses.

Too, they long ago advertised that they'd make your lenses in under an hour. A sign in the local competitor's window a few doors down. "We promise to take more than an hour on your lenses!"

I shop there for my specs.

As for leaving it in fourth gear on the motorway....it most often happens to me when I jam in my really good ear plugs.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, '93 K11/K12 hybrid 'Big Block', '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:41 am

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
I guess that you can now be considered an experienced brick rider now.  When I started riding them I was always looking for 6th gear.  50,000 miles later, I find myself in 4th on the expressway and 3rd around town.  The only issue I have with running in the lower gears is the amount of engine braking when I back off the throttle and the resultant front end diving.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

7Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:43 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
ainsjac wrote:Thank goodness that we have a gear position indicator. I had a Yamaha 175 Ag bike and neutral was the lowest point and you go up to get into first etc. Many a person attempted to go down into first and kept kicking at the lever. Neutral and 5 up.

I recall one early Jap bike I rode about mid 60s and possibly a Kawasaki which had 1 down and three up but if you went past the third click you were back in first and holy shit there were a lot of riders came to grief with that.
It was sort of a farm bike and I think it had a high and low range, only ever rode it once and got very strict instructions from the farmer who was the father of a school friend.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."  from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

8Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 am

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Back in the 70's I used to compete in Enduros on Honda XL125's.  During the season we would strip the bikes to the minimum which included removing the tach. 

One winter I rode a frostbite enduro after I had replaced the tach.  About 20 miles in, while buzzing across a a hilltop field enjoying the ride, I looked down and saw that the engine was turning at over 12 grand.  That was when I realized that I had put over 8,000 miles on that little engine at well north of 11-12,000 rpm.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

9Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Rockman


Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:
ainsjac wrote:Thank goodness that we have a gear position indicator. I had a Yamaha 175 Ag bike and neutral was the lowest point and you go up to get into first etc. Many a person attempted to go down into first and kept kicking at the lever. Neutral and 5 up.

I recall one early Jap bike I rode about mid 60s and possibly a Kawasaki which had 1 down and three up but if you went past the third click you were back in first and holy shit there were a lot of riders came to grief with that.
It was sort of a farm bike and I think it had a high and low range, only ever rode it once and got very strict instructions from the farmer who was the father of a school friend.
I own a Suzuki K125 (twin port single) from that era. Yes it is exciting to go from 4th to 1st on the move. Much ringdingdingding!

    

10Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:47 am

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
@Point-Seven-five wrote:Back in the 70's I used to compete in Enduros on Honda XL125's.  During the season we would strip the bikes to the minimum which included removing the tach. 

One winter I rode a frostbite enduro after I had replaced the tach.  About 20 miles in, while buzzing across a a hilltop field enjoying the ride, I looked down and saw that the engine was turning at over 12 grand.  That was when I realized that I had put over 8,000 miles on that little engine at well north of 11-12,000 rpm.

used to have a little twin 175 Honda, red line was 16 grand ///took if off the scale at 20 grand a few times , when missed gear
fitted with bikini fairing was clocked by a z1000 kwaka at a real 100 mph ...who turned to me and said those things cant do that !!!...was a big run up fortunately....giggles



Last edited by charlie99 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

11Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:08 pm

K75cster

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:
I recall one early Jap bike I rode about mid 60s and possibly a Kawasaki which had 1 down and three up but if you went past the third click you were back in first and holy shit there were a lot of riders came to grief with that.
It was sort of a farm bike and I think it had a high and low range, only ever rode it once and got very strict instructions from the farmer who was the father of a school friend.
I recall a Bridgestone 175 having a rotary gear lever action 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 just shift up and up and up and oops
Might have been one of those Rick.


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

12Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:52 am

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
That was it. Little thing with a fuel tank shaped like a wedge.


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

13Back to top Go down    Re: Not funny at the time...... on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:04 am

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:I recall a Bridgestone 175 having a rotary gear lever action 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 just shift up and up and up and oops
The Bridgestone 175 shift pattern is described in this article. To me it looks like the surprise comes if your foot jiggles on a downshift from 4th, or maybe 5th. Bingo—you're in 1st! On a closer look though, without engaging the fifth gear option, you can just toe your way through the gears and windup whiplashed by a screaming first gear as K75cster indicates. Nice!

I recall wanting one of those badly back in '67 but I got a CL77 instead and rode off to plaster myself with insect life from Miami to Naples along the Tamiami Trail as soon as I could.


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 68,000 miles
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum