BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    K100 upgrades and sort out. on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:04 pm

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
This is for a great thanks to Olaf for helping me with a problem on one of my k100s.

Also we have been through it a bit but are there any modifications and upgrades apart from wheels and front end that anyone would recommend for a 1984 k100rs.

2Back to top Go down    Re: K100 upgrades and sort out. on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:16 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
The addition of a grease nipple on the clutch pivot arm helps keep water out pushes crud out. The addition of a isolator switch in the battery earth lead, helps when the starter relay jams helps with security when the key is removed and isolates the electrical quickly and easily for maintenance. Waterproofing the transmission gear position switch with Plasti Dip or it's like will stop it degrading. If I think of anymore I'll add them.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down    Re: K100 upgrades and sort out. on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
in addition to the above ,
lengthening the fuel lines by just a short amount , to aid in under tank maintenance , youll be surprised how helpful that is

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

4Back to top Go down    Re: K100 upgrades and sort out. on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:10 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
A lot of Bricks seem to suffer from broken clutch cables and electrical connector problems. I am still running on my original 25 year old cables. I believe this is due to the fact that I have always lubricated them. BMW and owners state do not lubricate any of your cables as it can degrade the Teflon liner, and this is true. Never ever use WD 40 it is a water displacement. Other lubricants can also degrade Teflon. Against standing advice I have always flushed and lubed all my cables at least every twelve months with a product called Tri Flo. This is a PTFE based lubricant used to lubricate bicycle cables available from bicycle shops. I also lube the levers and barrel end with white lithium spray grease and check the levers for wear. Worn levers at the barrel pivot point can catch and pinch cables leading to breakage.

When I got my Brick twenty years ago an ex BMW tech that I knew told me to go over every electrical connector and clean it with Deoxit or something similar. Against general consensus I also smeared dielectric grease or heavy silicone grease around the connectors. The theory is that the grease will keep out air and moisture that leads to corrosion and bad conductivity. I have had two electrical problems in twenty years, both on the same connector which was the only one not treated. Once treated it has behaved itself, the connector in question was the temperature sensor which was hard to get to. I learnt after the second time.
Regards Martin.

5Back to top Go down    Re: K100 upgrades and sort out. on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
I would suggest the addition of 10W LED driving lights to make you more visible to oncoming drivers. They can be had very cheap on eBay.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

6Back to top Go down    Re: K100 upgrades and sort out. on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:43 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
And if you have a pathetic single OEM horn. Fit BMW duals or a Nautilus 140 Db air horn named the HORN of DEATH. Definitely one of my better safety features along with the 6" LED light bar.
Regards Martin.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum