BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Fuel Pump Fix on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:20 am

GF Wollongong

Silver member
Silver member
Fuel pump from parts bike was removed from stinking fuel and found to be not working.

Soaked in in white vinegar for 2 weeks ... tested ... still nothing but a minor movement.

Decided to pull it apart (slow process) and was able to knock the innards out of the aluminium housing. Can be done in a vice (- use soft jaws onto the sides below the - / + terminals - it is a lot stronger here) a piece of wood to gently punch onto the base of the motor shaft.

A lot of crud throughout ... cleaned off and blown clean. Fair amount of wear on the armature (whatever the name is where the brushes connect)

Reason for the seizure was not to do with the electrical circuit but instead at the base of the pump.
There are four screws holding (what must be) the impellor... including 6 small metal pieces (like thick short roller bearings). One must have been displaced and blocking the rotation of the motor. Easily dismantled (do this over a shoe box or similar) and returned...lots of WD40 and air.
Used fishing line to pull the brushes back (as far as possible) and tied them around the two electrical connectors at the top. Untie and pull out once together.

Back together, pump working well (if a little noisy).

As for the ridiculous price of OEM BMW parts... this item takes the cake. It's nothing more that a simple electrical pump in an aluminium housing. If yours has failed, pull it apart.

2Back to top Go down    Re: Fuel Pump Fix on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
Guy I believe I believe what kills the pumps are not running a intact filter screen. And allowing the fuel to sit in the tank, especially ethanol based. Ethanol based fuel mixed with water forms a corrosive acid, which is the reason the aluminium tanks corrode. This also degrades the rubber damper and fuel lines ( use only immersible rated in the tank) which get into the pump if no screen is fitted. The acid and water mix also causes the internals of the pump to corrode. A mate had three Bricks that had been run on ethanol fuel and had been left sitting, it destroyed all the pumps dampers and lines. My Brick has never run on ethanol and I still have my OEM pump and damper as spares. I am currently running a Chinese copy pump and it has proved to be a good choice, the only problem with it is it is too quiet. Price was about $25.00 US (Aliexpress Global Auto Parts)but be careful all pumps are not created equal, some are dodgy apparently.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Fuel Pump Fix on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 am

norton71

Silver member
Silver member
I found using methylated spirits (metho) which is a mixture of ethyl alcohol (95%) and methyl alcohol (%5) dissolved the gunge and made removal of the gunge (from decomposed rubber mounting and other bits etc in the fuel tank) worked a treat. Maybe try that instead of vinegar

4Back to top Go down    Re: Fuel Pump Fix on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 pm

brickrider2

Life time member
Life time member
With aftermarket fuel pumps available so cheap on fleabay, I'm not motivated to pull the OEM pump apart. Why not buy a couple, one for the fuel tank and one spare for the little cubby behind the seat (if you doubt the quality of the aftermarket)?

5Back to top Go down    Re: Fuel Pump Fix on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:43 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
This is why I went with this supplier
.Beijing Global Auto Parts is one of the leading trade companies in mainland China and a member of the Chinese Commercial Vehicle Parts Market Federation, specializing in commercial vehicle and diesel engine parts. We provide export services to many of our clients worldwide including the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, we have established long-term relationships with over 20 leading diesel engine parts manufacturer in mainland China with effective quality insurance system, like Cummins, Caterpillar, Deutz, Perkins, Komatsu, Isuzu, Steyr and Kamaz.
Our products include nozzles, elements, delivery valves, injectors, pistons, piston rings, cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, crankshafts, camshafts, turbochargers, fuel injection pumps and feed pumps. At the same time, we have good relationship with automotive companies in mainland China and our supplier, including FAW, DFM, CNHTC (Steyr, Howo), Foton (Auman), Shanxi (SX, Steyr), Yuchai, Weichai and DCEC (Cummins). With their assistance, we can provide pure China-made automotive parts and components.

Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down    Gunge hidin place on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 am

norton71

Silver member
Silver member
After cleaning the fuel tank out of all the visual dissolved rubbery bits ....I used a mirror on a rod (cheap and available at car auto shops) to look up with a torch lighting it ...under the metal lip surrounding where the fuel pump rubber sits..... found heaps of gungy rubber stuck under the lip which i managed to scrape out with a suitably bent coat hanger wire....fuel tank may look clean from above but do have a look under the lip as well otherwise gunge is still there when you fit a new pump and mounting rubber.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum