BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
After my Bricks little hissy fit alternator brushes, relays, battery and four pin connector I decided I deserved a long ride. To be sure I thought I'd check that it started before I put my gear on it started first touch, yippee. I went and changed into my riding gear opened the garage door and went to start the bike it didn't fire. I checked the four pin connector resprayed it with both DeoxIT's and it fired up. I decided then and there that today's ride would be postponed and I would be replacing the 4 pin connector. To be fair I think it has only played up once before in the twenty years I have owned it.

I read up on fitting the Duratech connector and they advised that there special crimper be used. I rang Jaycar and asked if they had one they said no, but they had one that would do the job. The Brick was running, so off to Jaycar, I saw the guy who I had talked to on the phone and he tried to sell me one of those cheap flat crimpers. I said no that I had two of those and I wanted to crimp Duratech connectors. He then showed me a Duratech crimper designed especially for the Duratech waterproof connectors. They should install a brick wall for customers to bang their heads against. The cost of the crimper was $14.00 Au and it was not listed on the Jaycar site. I tried to use the Duratech crimper but it was easier to use a small set of flat blade pliers. I'm unsure whether I'll take them back for a refund as they are not the same as the ones on the site showing how to fit the connectors.

I had to fiddle with the 4 pin connector a few times at Jaycar to get the fuel pump running. There is a site on how to fit the connectors
https://www.google.com.au/url? I have used a similar type before that used plastic wedges however the Duratech looks heaps easier and better. With the connector now fitted it starts first time every time.
Regards Martin.

bigdavergs

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Martin, any chance you could pop up a pic of the connector you used? Been looking on the interweb, but can't find anything. Cheers, Dave.

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
Dave local Jaycar have them and will ship part no PP2114. $ 16.95 http://www.jaycar.com.au/ Don't bother with the Duratech crimpers.Take your time when crimping them, and make sure you have the pins in the correct hole before fully inserting them as a special tool is required to remove the pins once they are locked. Follow the guide that I posted.
Regards Martin. santa

bigdavergs

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Martin, that's great. Regards, Dave.

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
I use those connectors for making sidecar wiring looms. Molex (or Molex-type) crimp tools do the job perfectly.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

robmack

Life time member
Life time member
The best crimpers that I have found for those terminals is the Engineer PA-20:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Engineer-Precise-Universal-Terminal-Crimping/dp/B002AVVO7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514032894&sr=8-1&keywords=engineer+pa-20

I own and use the smaller version of that crimper tool for 1.5mm JST connector terminals, the Engineer PA-09. Both are very high quality Japanese manufactured hand tools. They will produce air tight crimps with proper forming of the connector's blades around the wire. They may seem expensive but good tools are worth the money.

If you use the flat blade needle-nose pliers to produce the crimp, then I'd suggest you also touch a bit of solder to the very end of the wire. Just enough to wet the pin but not enough to wick up the wire past the pin. This process step will ensure a reliable electrical connection for many years.

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rob. Too late she cried done and dusted. I will do the solder trick next time, if there is ever a next time. I am hoping that the connector will outlive me.
Merry Christmas regards Martin.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum