BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Rear wheel adaptor Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:00 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Meine Herren,
I'm looking for an adaptor so I can fit my car rim to the rear of the BM. They do make an enormous difference to roadholding and tyre life etc. Does anyone happen to know where I could either find one to buy, or find someone who might be able to make me one? Any advice gratefully received.
Sean.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

2Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
I've sometimes seen some on eBay.de
But you also can consider mounting a wide BMW motorcycle wheel (5.5x17, or a R1200C wheel 4"x15 ) that will accept car tyres.
Or do it yourself, it's not a very technical part to realise: a cylinder with 4 holes reproducing the pattern of the rear drive, 4 other between reproducing the wheel pattern.
On my K1, a 6" rim does not fit because of the left tray that bumps into the tyre, but on normal K, you should be able to use this dimension.

3Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
JBT have a read of this https://www.dropbox.com/s/d52wky2uyymllr2/Comparison%20MC%20tyres%20Car%20tyres.pdf?dl=0
It is why Sean doesn't want to use a car tyre on a motorcycle rim.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
have sent a message to slow phil seanii ...hope he also has some ideas or a contact

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:29 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check this mob out Sean they have a very good reputation, but along with that goes a price. https://www.drwheels.com.au/

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

6Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie, JBT and Rick.
Rick, I'll get in touch with those guys after the break and see what they can do. Charlie, I'll be interested to see what happens with Slow Phil, too.

Yes, I'd prefer to put a car tyre on a car rim. I have a car tyre on the stock rim of my Rocket III but that's a different kettle of fish, the way the rim is constructed and the size of it. I actually use a narrower profile tyre ( 225)on it than the standard one ( 240). A lot of Rocket III owners run car tyres on their solo bikes, which I find terrifying. lol. It's a quest for a few miles wear out of them... ( 30,000 vs 3,000 km). I ride regularly with a mate who has one and following him is an exercise in fear I reckon but he doesn't have an issue with it. affraid  Riding behind, I can see the tyre look like it wants to roll off the rim, which is a bit disconcerting! Over time though, I have begun to realise his riding style is a bit weird as hell different as well. Flat out up the straights then get off and catch a taxi round corners. He still does fast point to point times however, because of the sheer grunt of the Triumph. I'm too lazy to ride that way.

7Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
It's also possible to machine out the centre of a Smart car wheel to take the original hub of the K wheel. It's a popular mod here for sidecar tugs - the guy I went to India with did it to his K1100 and made it look easy.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Forgot to mention this earlier...
I don't have the tools/facilities or skill set to machine my own stuff here. Sad

9Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no luck from slow phil  ...he sold it on ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks anyway, Charlie. Was good of you to ask. like

11Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I have an idea... seriously. Can you get Smart car wheels in Oz? I just talked to my mate and he says that all you need to bolt the Smart car wheel to the existing K100 (K1100 in my previous post was a fat-finger) hub is an adaptor plate - there's no machining of the existing parts involved. He thinks he still has the drawings and yes, if so, he'd be amenable to machining another adaptor. He's going to check for the drawings when he gets home. It can't be FOC because he's self-employed and the machining will eat into his work time. Also, I have no idea what the shipping to Oz would be.

The alternative is that I ask him nicely for the drawings and send you a copy to get the plate made there.

Any help?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

12Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
I have a 15" VW rim which takes a 165 tyre that Ed sold me with the sidecar. I know that this works well with the K100 so I think I'll try and stick with that for now. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter though, Dai.  Smile

13Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Very Happy

14Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Does someone out there have a rear wheel adaptor that they can take some photos of for me?
All help greatly appreciated.
Sean.

15Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Is the VW wheel a 4 or 5 stud wheel

16Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 am

Packo

Packo
Silver member
Silver member
Couple of teasers for you
I have to mount it on a bike to split the adapter and wheel but I wont have time until next week when I get back from Phillip Island
If you haven't had any luck by then quite happy to take more detailed photos then

Rear wheel adaptor Img_0010
Rear wheel adaptor Img_0011

83 K100 HRD Outfit
1992 K1100 Outfit
2003 R1150 GSA Outfit
1983 K100 Basic

17Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Maybe my eyes are out of wack. But in the first picture the adaptor does not appear to be centred.  Rear wheel adaptor 610153 
Regards Martin.

18Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
MartinW wrote:Maybe my eyes are out of wack. But in the first picture the adaptor does not appear to be centred.  Rear wheel adaptor 610153 
Regards Martin.
Just the photo is not taken from dead centre Rear wheel adaptor 161205

19Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Rick it's a 4 stud rim.
Packo, I'd be pleased if you could take some photos when you get the chance. There aren't a lot of sidecar owners on here these days.
Cheers,
Sean.

20Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I shall consult my CAD program and see if it comes up with a good design.

21Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
That'd be great! Thanks Rick.
Rear wheel adaptor 212902

22Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Years ago, I sent a sub-frame and a car wheel adapter in Aussieland. The problem is that I don't remember to which member I sent it. It may have been to Alby but not sure about it.

23Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
CF,
I believe Alby has been unwell and is also busy with his married life with Nicki. Perhaps one day he will return to the forum more regularly and put some more miles on his K outfit if he still has it? Charlie would know more. Smile

24Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:59 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
I had the hub adaptor for a while, I got it from Col. Alby did have some drawing on here somewhere

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

25Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:27 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Waz, do you know where it ended up?

26Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Melbourne still on bike I think. I will look for his number

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

27Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Oh well. Sad

28Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:41 pm

halflive

halflive
Silver member
Silver member
Does this help?
Rear wheel adaptor Adapter1
Rear wheel adaptor Adapter2
Rear wheel adaptor Adapter3

Rear wheel adaptor NaafadapterK75
It is an adapter to fit a Smart wheel on a K75. Four holes on the bike, three holes in the Smart wheel.

http://halflive.hostei.com

29Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Smart cars arent common in OZ.  But you could probably find a wheel eventually.  VWs are easy and steel is good anyway.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Rear wheel adaptor K-dogs10

30Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Halflive,
Thanks for taking the trouble to post those pics. Interesting Smile
As I already have the VW rim,  I'll be working with that. It's one I have experience with in the past and I know it works well.
In the meantime I'm plugging away... getting the sidecar slowly ready and tidying up the biek before I try starting it.
Should be ready by Christmas. santa
Which Xmas though,... I am unsure.

31Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Packo

Packo
Silver member
Silver member
Rear wheel adaptor Img_0012
Rear wheel adaptor Img_0015
Rear wheel adaptor Img_0013
Rear wheel adaptor Img_0017
Rear wheel adaptor Img_0016
Rear wheel adaptor Img_0014

83 K100 HRD Outfit
1992 K1100 Outfit
2003 R1150 GSA Outfit
1983 K100 Basic

32Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Excellent pics, thanks PAcko. Smile

33Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:56 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Packo I Forgot to ask:
Did you make this up yourself, or did you have it made? Any estimate in regards to cost?

34Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:09 am

Packo

Packo
Silver member
Silver member
No, it came with an outfit I bought
I have an idea someone on here wanted to get one a few years ago and it was several hundred $$$ but don't quote me on that
Might be an idea to post a request on the ADV rider forum in the "Hacks" section as well, you never know what it might turn up

83 K100 HRD Outfit
1992 K1100 Outfit
2003 R1150 GSA Outfit
1983 K100 Basic

35Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, those are the kind of skills I'd like to have.
Instead I have a degree in languages. Handy for translating those pesky BMW ads.....

36Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:Years ago, I sent a sub-frame and a car wheel adapter in Aussieland. The problem is that I don't remember to which member I sent it. It may have been to Alby but not sure about it.
No.. It was not me.  I got mine made by Boxer Metal.

37Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:01 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know whether you have one where you are located. But we have a local pioneer village called Old Petrie Town. Amongst the various old houses and shops are quite a few trades run by retired tradesmen. They have a casting plant, a blacksmith, a woodshop, steam shop and a metal shop. I am going to join the metal shop in 3 months when I retire. The metal shop has all the required machinery and includes a couple of lathes a turret mill and a CNC machine. I was talking to one of the members who also has a 3d printer and undertakes 3D printing jobs.The joining fee is $30.00 Au per year, there are tradesmen available willing and able to teach you how to run the various machines. I've already had the casting plant do a job for me, for a reasonable price.
All the trades will undertake one off jobs for a price, or you can join which is probably cheaper and pick up some new skills.
Regards Martin.

38Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW,
I don't think I've got anything like that where I live( small country village). There's a men's shed here though... I can always go and see if they can point me in the right direction.

Hey ALby, long time no see!

39Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:14 pm

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Sean
Have you had any luck finding adaptor? I just sent BSA wheels a message, they seem keen to make one for mine.

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

40Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:14 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Waz!
No I haven't yet, mate. Life getting in the way etc. I doubt we'll find one ready-made anywhere second hand, as people tend to hang onto them.
Let me know how you go with your search.

How's the project coming along? Any pics?

Things have been busy of late but I hope to paint the sidecar fuselage over the next week or so. Then I have to look at fitting the chair to be bike... getting the bike to run properly ...oh and... maybe get some brakes working Hehe;

Cheers
 Sean

41Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Just food for thought. 15" rim bolted onto a cutdown bike wheel (yamaha in this case). Might be something you could do with a BMW wheel.
Rear wheel adaptor Img_2310

42Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:53 pm

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
I sent this diagram to Tom and he was kind enough to have it 3d printed to see if it all fits. It does fit a smart car front wheel, the rear is a different size. Don't ask me how I know. This diagram fits the front wheel from smart car fortwo. Had to remove rear guard and rear brake caliper until wheel is in place then refit caliper but it fits. Now to get a metal one made.
Rear wheel adaptor Naafad12
Rear wheel adaptor Thumbn17
Rear wheel adaptor Thumbn16

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

43Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:02 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Rear wheel adaptor Aa10

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

44Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:35 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Looking good Waz, do you have someone to make it in metal?

There is possibly a retired fitter machinist in Bowral that likes to play with BMWs that's been known to make a few bits and bobs. Gonna see him next Wed(BMWTC meeting)

Al

45Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:25 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Al,
I have no one organized, could you please ask if he is interested

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

46Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:37 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
At this end Steve Mepham and i are still waiting for our subframes to be completed. After that we intend to remove his rear wheel which has an adaptor attached, to use as a template so we can get a couple made.
Life keeps getting in the way... the bike with the adaptor on it is the one away being used to make the sub frame, so we have to wait for its return etc
Also, all the bushfire emergencies up this way are taking up the guy who is making the subframes time...he is an air co-ordinator for the RFS....
Progress is slow...but all good things come to those who wait....

I hope

fervently..

47Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Waz wrote:I sent this diagram to Tom and he was kind enough to have it 3d printed to see if it all fits. It does fit a smart car front wheel, the rear is a different size. Don't ask me how I know. This diagram fits the front wheel from smart car fortwo. Had to remove rear guard and rear brake caliper until wheel is in place then refit caliper but it fits. Now to get a metal one made.
Rear wheel adaptor Naafad12
Rear wheel adaptor Thumbn17
Rear wheel adaptor Thumbn16

Waz, I've given the drawings to Woz.  He said his lathe can handle it, he wants to have a look at the drawings first.

Al

48Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Al
Ahh Woz is the machinist.

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

49Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty This is what we are looking for Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:05 am

OdysseyRider

OdysseyRider
This is what we are looking for, a friend picked this one up in Victoria at a swap meet, the guy we have making other bits said he would need a $2,000 od dollar chuck for his lathe to reproduce this, surely some-one knows where this came from... we have one we need 2 more made to suit 15 in VW rim.
Rear wheel adaptor Image011

50Back to top Go down   Rear wheel adaptor Empty Re: Rear wheel adaptor Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:38 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
So it looks like we're back to square one?
What about you, Waz? Did you end up getting something made?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum