BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Alexander McCarthy

Life time member
Life time member
Wishing everyone a very happy first working day of the new year.
I'm looking for recommendations regarding an independent BMW mechanic around Sydney with experience on the BMW K100 and K1100 platforms.
Specifically around engine performance, finding and fixing air leaks, and throttle body balancing.

Thanks for your help.

http://www.policebikes.com.au

Dinosaur

Alex,
Just seen your post an am surprised no suggestions yet.
I have used Mick Dyer Motorcycles in Coreen Avenue Penrith when I cannot work out what is going on. Mick still has an old 1980s vintage digital analyser from when he worked for BMW - very useful for checking out the K75 and K100 electronics.
Haven’t spoken to Mick since before Xmas but he’s in in his late 50s and may be retiring soon.
Btw he is a cash only operator.
Doug

;BMW; 1985 K-100RS #0084201

Alexander McCarthy

Life time member
Life time member
@Dinosaur wrote:Alex,
I have used Mick Dyer Motorcycles in Coreen Avenue Penrith when I cannot work out what is going on. Mick still has an old 1980s vintage digital analyser from when he worked for BMW - very useful for checking out the K75 and K100 electronics.
Haven’t spoken to Mick since before Xmas but he’s in in his late 50s and may be retiring soon.
Doug

Hi Doug,

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the dearth of responses to this post, given the breadth of opinions held by everyone on this site (myself included). Maybe this one just flew under the radar?

Anyhow, I appreciate your heads up as I'm chasing a nasty electrical problem with a K1100LT which has me flummoxed, and frankly has left me feeling a bit down in the dumps about this particular bike, which is a shame as it's a real survivor and filled me with excitement when I purchased it about 8 months ago.

I'll give Mick a jingle next week, but just before I do, given he's a cash operator, do you know what his hourly charge is for labour?

Cheers, Alex.

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
@Alexander McCarthy wrote:
Doug

Hi Doug,

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the dearth of responses to this post, given the breadth of opinions held by everyone on this site (myself included). Maybe this one just flew under the radar?

Anyhow, I appreciate your heads up as I'm chasing a nasty electrical problem with a K1100LT which has me flummoxed, and frankly has left me feeling a bit down in the dumps about this particular bike, which is a shame as it's a real survivor and filled me with excitement when I purchased it about 8 months ago.

Why not post the symptoms of your problem here, we may be able to suggest solutions?

Mike 

Ed

Life time member
Life time member
definitely went under the radar Alex .
Do you have access to the GS-911 diagnostic tool . 
This may be of some help .

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"

Alexander McCarthy

Life time member
Life time member
@Ed wrote:definitely went under the radar Alex .

Loss like a great tool ,but doesn't support the K100 or K1100, according to their website .

Alexander McCarthy

Life time member
Life time member
@mike d wrote:
Doug

Hi Doug,

Why not post the symptoms of your problem here, we may be able to suggest solutions?

Mike 

Hi mate, 

Symptoms are as follows :

Turn key, idiot lights come on ,turn key to run position ,fuel pump energises, push starter button, relay clicks, but starter doesn't spin. 

Was a running bike six months ago. 

Ed

Life time member
Life time member
@Ed wrote:definitely went under the radar Alex .

Loss like a great tool ,but doesn't support the K100 or K1100, according to their website .

The box I have says it is compatible with K1, K100RS, K1100LT, K1100RS.   additional notes : Bosch MA2.1,    Bosch MA2.2  ,   fitted with ABS II.

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
The original GS-911 will communicate with the K1100, but requires and additionall interface unit.

Hexcode subsequently brought out a much cheaper stand alone device called the GS-911 3-Pin Interface 

The following link shows the product, just scroll down to find it.

http://www.hexcode.co.za/shop

Pity you are not in the UK as I have one as part of the many tools I hold for the BMW Club UK Tool Hire facility.

Mike

Ed

Life time member
Life time member
Thats the one I have with me Mike D. 

due to a hot ride through Sydney on Saturday on my way to the Black Dog ride , I missed out on catching up with Alex . 
If he is still in a bother there may be a chance to pop in and see him over the next few weeks . Be good to see how it works .

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
As Alex has posted the following symptoms:

Turn key, idiot lights come on ,turn key to run position ,fuel pump energises, push starter button, relay clicks, but starter doesn't spin. 

Was a running bike six months ago. 

Then I think it is a much simpler problem. It should be possible to connect a 12v feed direct to the starter to see if it engages/spins. If it does then the fault can be traced.

Alex when the starter doesn't spin, do the idiot lights dim?

Mike

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum