BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rear Shock Spring Removal Empty Rear Shock Spring Removal Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm

flyinglow

flyinglow
Silver member
Silver member
On my 1985 K100RT I what to install the rear shock, progressive wound spring from EMS.  Once I compress the spring how do I remove the top?  Does it unscrew?  I spoke to EMS and they recommended the progressive spring for improved ride comfort, not so harsh of a ride. I am about 165 lbs.   Thanks,  jim

2Back to top Go down   Rear Shock Spring Removal Empty Re: Rear Shock Spring Removal Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:32 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
With what could be a 40 year old damper, I would have just changed the whole thing for a complete RAM shock.

3Back to top Go down   Rear Shock Spring Removal Empty Re: Rear Shock Spring Removal Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Bob's right. The damper will be completely shot and I'd be surprised if there was any oil left at all in the body.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   Rear Shock Spring Removal Empty Rear Shock Spring Removal Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 pm

flyinglow

flyinglow
Silver member
Silver member
I did get the spring removed.  I used a homemade spring compressor, that I had previously made for the rear shock on my NT700V.  It wasn't the best tool for this shock but it did work.  Once the spring is compressed about 1 - 2 inches you can then put a vice grip on the shaft, just under the eye, to hold the shaft so you can unscrew the eye.  I had to heat the under side of the eye with a propane torch, expanding and releasing it grip on the shaft, to get it to come loose.  Be carefulRear Shock Spring Removal 20180111
Rear Shock Spring Removal 20180110 to not apply too much heat to the aluminum eye because it has a rubber bushing in it.

5Back to top Go down   Rear Shock Spring Removal Empty Re: Rear Shock Spring Removal Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
have watched the local to me, motorcycle shock repairer Rad shockies , do the same
they use a loctight type thread locker for the top mount
and as you have done ,a propane torch to release the thread lock stuff

they then remove the old seal to shaft and install a new type of seal

one thing to notice though is to check the hard chroming on the shaft to ensure it is in tact , if not the shock will leak far too early after a refill of the damping fluid .

I have yet  to see the process of installing a new seal though
but have had it done , with reasonable results after the work

ill rely on saxon 7 for results report , as the last one I had done, went to him before I could try it .

would like to see the new spring though ...if you get the chance to post up the pics  and report on the differences ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum