BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 pm

renriv

renriv
My K100 is throwing fits and 'loses' cylinders 2 & 3.  Spark on others very weak when checked. Will suddenly come back and all is well for a while till it happens again. Swapped coils around to see if it was a coil, but still 2 & 3. Fuel pressure checks out and pump working. At present almost no spark on 1 and 4, none on 2 & 3, so not running at all. Interesting dilemma that has me stumped - not very hard to do that though. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Allan  scratch

2Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty Re: Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:15 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Does it run OK when cold and play up when hot which indicates the hall sensors are cactus. Also check the plug at the ICU just behind the steering head below the top tube is plugged in firmly.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:25 am

renriv

renriv
Temp seems to make no difference. Will check plug. Thanks

4Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty Re: Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:02 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
don't check them ,,,, clean them regardless 
once your in there, best to get it done and dusted

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am

renriv

renriv
Interestingly if i let the spark plug metal shrouds touch when testing for spark i get a magnificent spark. Does that point to plug leads ?

6Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty Re: Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes it does

the plug leads are resistive ...but the wire may have broken just at the crimp type socket termination (where the conductor is clamped to the electrode )

often the socket part that makes contact with the spark plug top corrodes up , this could be because they haven't been pushed home correctly , or the ferrule that fits on top of the thread of the plug hasn't been fitted when changing (especially the ngk types )

I would suggest get at least two elcheapo pre made ignition leads from your auto store (usually blue in colour , but ihave seen grey as well )  the resistive silicon type

and fit them to cylinders 1 and 4 .....or 2 and 3
then  tie some copper wire around the body (threaded section of the spark plug ) and make a connection to a screw nearby fit the leads to the plugs and coils  then turn the motor over (without any plugs fitted ) so it spins fast and without compression

observe the spark across the plugs  to see if it has made a big difference

hope that helps and you follow what I mean

cheers

Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 20160410

Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 20180127

Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 20180128

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty Re: Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:33 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Corrosion inside the plug cap will do that too. If it's a mass of green in there, introduce it to the nearest bin.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty Misfire Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 am

norton71

norton71
Silver member
Silver member
Used to have a 1971 Valiant Charger that would run fine and then just stumble for about 2-5 seconds at 90 MPH (no power at all) before running fine again ..went on for several weeks before i pulled the coil lead from the dizzy cap..inside of the coil lead holder (brass) was covered in green crap i assume was from water getting in and reacting with the brass over time ...far as i could work out the green stuff resulted in a high resistance that would result in no spark through the dizzy until the voltage rose enough to find another way to ground itself  to the nearest earth. Have seen much the same with spark plug wire connections. (and in those days Deoxit wasn't around)

9Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 pm

renriv

renriv
Checked plugs and they had no ferrule on top. Found some and put them on which seemed to help but still inconsistent. Come to a halt now as went to go for a ride and fuel pouring down over motor. thought it was tank but no, the fuel line out of the tank had split. Replace that and still got fuel everywhere, so time to have a break. Can't see where it's coming from as it seems to be behind the air box above the injectors. Maybe another hose, but have to do a bit of checking. Evil or Very Mad

10Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:44 am

renriv

renriv
Seems the fuel leak is coming from the fuel pressure regulator. Have to put a post under fuel problems to see how to get to that. Manual doesn't help much. Thanks for your help with the spark. The i get the fuel leak fixed I'll let you know how it went !!

11Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty Re: Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
eeek ...could have  a lot to do with it not running also
hope you have a powder type fire extinguisher real handy

good luck

12Back to top Go down   Poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Empty poor/no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 pm

renriv

renriv
Found fuel leak ! Must not have had fuel return line clamped properly on fuel tank !! All good now and have taken chance to degrease engine behind air box too. All fuel lines now good and bike running smoothly, although the spark still seems very weak when i take plugs out and check. However since it's running well i'm leaving well alone. Thanks for your help.
Regards 
Allan

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum