On my K1100LT SE, it has some graphics running along the side, namely

SPECIAL EDITION K 1100 LT / 1356

Anyone know what the 1356 refers to?

(Google hasn't helped me so far!!)

2Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
It just the sequence number of your special edition bike.

Mike

3Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:10 pm

philbuck

@mike d wrote:It just the sequence number of your special edition bike.

Mike

Really !!

That explains why those last 4 digits, the 1356, are not part of the preceding graphic, and are just stuck on to the end of it, literally (you can even see the join )

Much obliged Mike

4Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 pm

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
Well well well. You have raised my interest now. Does anyone here know more about the special edition? Like how they were different from standard, engine mods, other options?

5Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:12 am

philbuck

@MarcS wrote:Well well well. You have raised my interest now. Does anyone here know more about the special edition? Like how they were different from standard, engine mods, other options?

From what limited knowledge I have, the paint schemes are different, in that they have pinstriping on them. They obviously have this sticker on the side of the fairing, and I believe that they have the second generation ABS, which means you can switch it on and off at will. Mine has the ridiculous stereo cassette player installed too, but whether that's on all of them, I don't know.

6Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 am

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
From memory it was very much an upgrade package.  No mechanical, performance or suspension changes.  Paint, different gauges, different seat covering, stereo, rear speakers in armrests for the passenger on the topbox.  Think thats it.

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

7Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:38 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
@philbuck wrote:
@MarcS wrote:Well well well. You have raised my interest now. Does anyone here know more about the special edition? Like how they were different from standard, engine mods, other options?

From what limited knowledge I have, the paint schemes are different, in that they have pinstriping on them. They obviously have this sticker on the side of the fairing, and I believe that they have the second generation ABS, which means you can switch it on and off at will. Mine has the ridiculous stereo cassette player installed too, but whether that's on all of them, I don't know.

Hi Philbuck,

Yes they have ABS2 but it is not switchable (well at least not on my 1994 K1100LT SE. The cassette radio was antiquated even back then!.

Mike

8Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 am

philbuck

@mike d wrote:
@philbuck wrote:

Hi Philbuck,

Yes they have ABS2 but it is not switchable (well at least not on my 1994 K1100LT SE. The cassette radio was antiquated even back then!.

Mike

Yes you're right Mike, I misread the ABS "Accept" switch info.

9Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:42 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
The ABS switch is just to stop the ABS lamp from flashing for a number of minutes, before it starts up again.

Just had a quick look at my 1994 K1100LT SE. I bought it on 30/04/1998 for £6,600 it is numbered 0943.

I have to say it was far more reliable than my R1150RT, but is more unwieldy and doesn't handle as good. At least the ABS still works (unlike two modules on the 1150).

It is currently on SORN (for non UK readers that is a 'Statuary Off Road Notice'), but looks like I may resurrect it for the Donington Park event. 

Mike

10Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:46 pm

philbuck

@mike d wrote:The ABS switch is just to stop the ABS lamp from flashing for a number of minutes, before it starts up again.

Seems to me to be quite a strange system of operating, whereby if the system is ok, then both ABS lights flash together, but if it detects a fault, they flash alternately, (and the ABS deactivates). But, you can press the switch to stop the lights flashing, so it doesn't annoy the sh*t out of you. Am I missing something here  affraid

11Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
@philbuck wrote: Am I missing something here  affraid
You might be missing the fact that the two simultaneously flashing lights that indicate a functioning system should turn off when you head down the road but the alternating flashing lights that indicate a problem will continue unless you interrupt them momentarily by using the "temporary relief button."

It was just another step in the relentless evolution of a nanny-controlled motorcycle. Smile

12Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:58 am

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the info guys. I think I would like to disconnect annoying flashing lights

13Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
@philbuck wrote:
@mike d wrote:The ABS switch is just to stop the ABS lamp from flashing for a number of minutes, before it starts up again.

Seems to me to be quite a strange system of operating, whereby if the system is ok, then both ABS lights flash together, but if it detects a fault, they flash alternately, (and the ABS deactivates). But, you can press the switch to stop the lights flashing, so it doesn't annoy the sh*t out of you. Am I missing something here  affraid
It acts as a reminder that the ABS is not functioning. I am sure if the you could turn of the fault indication someone would forget and end up having an 'off', and then blame the system.

At least the way the ABS 2 fails safe, it is infinitely better than the servo ABS on the R1150 etc. The laughingly called 'residual braking' when certain faults occur on that system is a recipe for disaster. I know I have been there (twice). Evil or Very Mad

Mike

14Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@MarcS wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I think I would like to disconnect annoying flashing lights
I like to know if things aren't working...disconnecting warning lights because they might be annoying is a sure fired recipe for trouble. The ABS switch, as mentioned previously, allows the rider to stop the flashing and have steady red lights instead which remain very obvious, but aren't so distracting as flashing ones. As Mike D says, after a while (10 minutes) the lamps will start flashing again and need another press on the ABS switch.

I used both front and rear ABS this morning and was very grateful for the system working - on wet roads, coming off a motorway at motorway speeds (70mph) onto a 2 lane slip road, I was passing a much slower moving car on my inside when I was rudely surprised by said car suddenly manoeuvring into my lane just feet in front of me. I braked so hard to avoid a collision that I felt both front and rear ABS modules working (never experienced that before) and the bike shimmied in a quite disconcerting way as I fought to maintain control. This would definitely not the time to suddenly remember that I had disconnected by ABS warning light and that my ABS system was not going to save me!! 

What is it about drivers in Bristol...or is just me?

Last edited by Born Again Eccentric on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected time interval to 10 mins (not 15 as previously guessed))

Paul  

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

15Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member

Just had a quick look at my 1994 K1100LT SE. I bought it on 30/04/1998 for £6,600 it is numbered 0943.

I have to say it was far more reliable than my R1150RT, but is more unwieldy and doesn't handle as good. At least the ABS still works (unlike two modules on the 1150).

It is currently on SORN (for non UK readers that is a 'Statuary Off Road Notice'), but looks like I may resurrect it for the Donington Park event. 

Mike

Mike d

Looking forward to meeting up again. Its been a while since our trip to Craggy Island! We must be due a return visit.

16Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:37 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
@mike d wrote:It is currently on SORN (for non UK readers that is a 'Statuary Off Road Notice')
Does that mean it's parked off the roadway and serves as a pigeon roost? Laughing

17Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:35 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
No , it's in my garage being used as a shelf  Laughing

Mike

18Back to top Go down    Re: What does this mean ? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:27 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
@Born Again Eccentric wrote:What is it about drivers in Bristol...or is just me?
Not just Bristol, Paul. There's around a mile of narrow two-lane, two-way road on the way into Belfast from the south where every single driver seems to throw all little remaining sense to the wind. If the gap is the same size as their car, then they're coming in. If you're really lucky you might get two flashes of the indicator but in most cases it's execute the manoever and to hell with the fact that there really isn't enough room to get in unless the guy you're pushing in front of executes a partial emergency stop. You'd be surprised at how many cars in Belfast manage to pass an MOT with faulty indicators. I loathe that stretch of road but I have no choice about using it. I have, on occasion, played chicken with drivers that literally wanted the road space I was in, but was cured of that by the asshole who pushed me into the opposite flow of traffic. My life obviously wasn't worth ten seconds of his time.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum