BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    K100 Rear light on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 pm

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
I've just been looking through parts that I've recieved and noticed that I have this extender with light. Now I want to attach it to my k100 naked "monstosity". However don't have any cable that goes to the rear. I know it was from an LT and most probably after market or custom made. So I was just wondering has anyone seen one before and does anyone know where it would wire up to. Thinking of using it as a fog light.

Looking forward to the replies,
Kind Regards,
Sam.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

2Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
It is just a fog light and was fitted to many Ks including some police bikes.
It will need wiring into a switch.

3Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:17 pm

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
@BobT wrote:It is just a fog light and was fitted to many Ks including some police bikes.

Thanks did assume it was a fog light just only ever seen one on images. Trying to work out where to actually wire it up to. Was thinking of having it on when the headlight is turned on but not sure how to actually wire it up.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

4Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:50 pm

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
It is a fog light so should only come on when the headlight is on and should be switched with a warning light.
If you have it on all of the time then it would probably fail your MOT for being illegal.
Dead simple to wire a switch from the sidelight circuit and onto that light.

5Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@TheJoker wrote:
@BobT wrote:It is just a fog light and was fitted to many Ks including some police bikes.

Thanks did assume it was a fog light just only ever seen one on images. Trying to work out where to actually wire it up to. Was thinking of having it on when the headlight is turned on but not sure how to actually wire it up.
BobT beat me too it...Best bet is to run a wire to power it from a separate switch.

If you hook it up to the headlight circuit, to have it on whenever the headlight is on you will be dazzling drivers behind (how many eejit tin box drivers have blinded you with their fog lights when it isn't foggy?). Not legal either, but more importantly it is likely to mask your brake light and them eejit Brizzolian drivers (I am having more than my fair share of them this month) may not realise that you are braking and will run up your rear. Having the fog light on the headlight circuit may also affect your bulb monitoring unit...law of unintended consequences applies.

I am still waiting on a pair of red eagle eye lights arriving from the orient to use as fog lights - but have already bought a handlebar mounted switch to make them on & off-able.

Paul

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurancewrite-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red) (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike). June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

6Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 am

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the replies I've never really messed with the electrics to be honest. Hence why the question I'll look into getting an on off switch then and wiring it up. I'll be putting LT bars on my now naked k100rs anyway. I know that you have to change the throttle, brake and clutch cable as well as the brake hose from the master cylinder down to the extender.

Be interesting when that bike is finally finished,
Kind regards,
Sam.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

7Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@TheJoker wrote:... I'll be putting LT bars on my now naked k100rs anyway. I know that you have to change the throttle, brake and clutch cable as well as the brake hose from the master cylinder down to the extender.
Sam, just a thought...

...when Rosskko (RIP mate) generously lent me his naked K100 during my all to brief (work) trip down under a couple of years back, he asked me if I wanted him to fit RT or RS bars on it. I'm used to riding a LT so opted for the RT bars. However, this was the first time I had ridden a naked brick (no screen at all) and I found the riding position too upright. At speeds above 100kph (60ish mph) the wind pressure against me was getting bad and I wished that I was hunched over the tank and a bit more streamlined. Far too used to sitting snuggly in behind a full LT fairing and tall screen and letting the bike do all the punching through the air. Simple solution, of course, was to keep speed down and enjoy the fabulous scenery and enjoy the cooling breeze...easier said than done when trying to keep up with the Krew I was riding with though!! My wrong choice of bars did not seriously spoil my adventure, but I wouldn't want the same set up hereabouts in the Bristol area.

Paul

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurancewrite-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red) (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike). June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

8Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
@Born Again Eccentric wrote:
@TheJoker wrote:... I'll be putting LT bars on my now naked k100rs anyway. I know that you have to change the throttle, brake and clutch cable as well as the brake hose from the master cylinder down to the extender.
Sam, just a thought...

...when Rosskko (RIP mate) generously lent me his naked K100 during my all to brief (work) trip down under a couple of years back, he asked me if I wanted him to fit RT or RS bars on it. I'm used to riding a LT so opted for the RT bars. However, this was the first time I had ridden a naked brick (no screen at all) and I found the riding position too upright. At speeds above 100kph (60ish mph) the wind pressure against me was getting bad and I wished that I was hunched over the tank and a bit more streamlined. Far too used to sitting snuggly in behind a full LT fairing and tall screen and letting the bike do all the punching through the air. Simple solution, of course, was to keep speed down and enjoy the fabulous scenery and enjoy the cooling breeze...easier said than done when trying to keep up with the Krew I was riding with though!! My wrong choice of bars did not seriously spoil my adventure, but I wouldn't want the same set up hereabouts in the Bristol area.

Hmm interesting I've got these bars at the moment below, I can't do long distance anymore on the Rs because it's too painful on the wrist. Hope that changing the bars can help that knee is also giving me pain sometimes needing a walking stick some days. Not good at 26 years old.

I've also got a set of heated grips to go on that bike I was going to fit into the dash. On the main K (not the winter project) I do have a cafe racer screen on there to stop a lot of the wind already.

I've also got this with your name on it if you want it for free, if you do come up to help. Got two other screens as well but I don't know what they are from.

Kind Regards,
Sam.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

9Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 am

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Sam, I know this is off topic from the start of your thread re the Fog Light but since you and BAE have mentioned handlebar positions I thought I'd throw this in.

You may have seen my post 58 onhere. I removed the fairing on my K1100LT due to our high and increasing heat climate and quite a lot of wear and tear cracks around the mounts. I fitted a naked style headlight and an MRA screen, initially with the standard LT bars (same as RT except the bar end mount) and rode it like that for about 6,000km but I found myself too upright and would ride bent forward a bit - uncomfortable on 10 hour days on the road. Much research led me to fitting these aftermarket bars which put my handgrips just a few inches further forward without going to the extent of RS bars. I'm 66 years old and won't be going back to the LT bars.

Cheers

10Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@TheJoker wrote:

Hmm interesting I've got these bars at the moment below, I can't do long distance anymore on the Rs because it's too painful on the wrist. Hope that changing the bars can help that knee is also giving me pain sometimes needing a walking stick some days. Not good at 26 years old.

I've also got this with your name on it if you want it for free, if you do come up to help. Got two other screens as well but I don't know what they are from.

Not good that your injuries are still bothering you...I have pretty much made a full recovery from mine (dating from about a month after your wreck). Should get the all clear from the quack shortly and hope to settle the insurance claim in the next few months - the other party has accepted liability so now it is a matter of agreeing the amount.

If you want help with sorting the stuff, I'm free this coming weekend - send me a PM with address /contact details and suggest a suitable time. Free screen - thanks very much...that is one thing on my list for the rebuild project. Mine seem to break as I go through them!

Paul

11Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:42 pm

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
@Gaz wrote:Hi Sam, I know this is off topic from the start of your thread re the Fog Light but since you and BAE have mentioned handlebar positions I thought I'd throw this in.

You may have seen my post 58 onhere. I removed the fairing on my K1100LT due to our high and increasing heat climate and quite a lot of wear and tear cracks around the mounts. I fitted a naked style headlight and an MRA screen, initially with the standard LT bars (same as RT except the bar end mount) and rode it like that for about 6,000km but I found myself too upright and would ride bent forward a bit - uncomfortable on 10 hour days on the road. Much research led me to fitting these aftermarket bars which put my handgrips just a few inches further forward without going to the extent of RS bars. I'm 66 years old and won't be going back to the LT bars.

Cheers
Interesting the only parts I'm missing from the LT/RT bars is just the brake, clutch and throttle cables. I've now got 4 sets of bars and I've found a dash. Do have a lumpy(engine, alternator, frame etc) 1100 that I need to get rid of which might have the cables on it however not sure if they would fit being from an 1100. That's why I was considering trying them. I've also got a set of forks for an 1100 to go on that bike and wheels; but no callipers as of yet.

This is the only picture of my bike that will be on this site. But you can see the current layout of the bike that I'm thinking of changing. I've got it quite nicely at the moment but no where to put the new aftermarket heated grips command.

Don't worry about changing the topic it really doesn't bother me.

@Born Again Eccentric wrote:
@TheJoker wrote:

Not good that your injuries are still bothering you...I have pretty much made a full recovery from mine (dating from about a month after your wreck). Should get the all clear from the quack shortly and hope to settle the insurance claim in the next few months - the other party has accepted liability so now it is a matter of agreeing the amount.

If you want help with sorting the stuff, I'm free this coming weekend - send me a PM with address /contact details and suggest a suitable time. Free screen - thanks very much...that is one thing on my list for the rebuild project. Mine seem to break as I go through them!

On my big crash I broke the sheath that covers the ulna. Now that still clicks and won't ever heal. It might if I had surgery but that would possibly ruin the use of the arm. Good luck on your solicitors I'm guessing that's the route you have gone. Mine took 7 months which felt like a life time.

I've only got the fairings to sort through now really I think and working out which wheels go to what bike. Though there are a few other parts to sort through. The screen is yours if you want it. Was going put it on ebay at 99p but it's not worth it.

I'm only free on sunday I'm afraid but if that's fine then I'll send the address over. I have got some side pannels for an early K that I wanted yourk a k riders opinion on as well they are made out of fibreglass and not plastic.

Kind Regards,
Sam.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

12Back to top Go down    Re: K100 Rear light on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Re: the fog light...

Fuse 4 is not in use but it is wired for power on one side. You should be able to push a 1/4" (6.5mm) female spade with locking tab (one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-X-6-3-UNINSULATED-CRIMP-CONNECTORS-WITH-LOCKING-TAB-RELAY-BLOCK-TERMINALS/222125859038?hash=item33b7bba0de:g:Pg4AAOSw9KhaMl7A)

into the other side and run the wire to the handlebars. Fit one of these or similar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Handlebar-Headlight-Fog-Spot-Head-Light-ON-OFF-Push-Switch/122956988337?hash=item1ca0cebfb1:g:2LoAAOSwFmxafBAU

and run the wire from the other side of the switch back to the fog light. At the fog light, earth the other wire. Just be careful that the fog light is switched off when you leave the bike as Fuse 4 is fed directly from the battery i.e. it doesn't go through the ignition switch.

Alternatively, there is an all-green wire that goes to the top of the load-shed relay. You could pick up a feed point here, run that through a separate fuse holder and on to the handlebar switch. That will turn off with the ignition switch.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum