BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I'm finishing up working on a new electronic board and posting my progress here.

The age of our bikes means that certain electronic components, like the LCD displays in the instrument cluster, are reaching their end of life.  The gear indicator is one of those components that slowly dies by having the liquid crystal fluid leak between the glass.  The LCD used by BMW is special and not available from any electronic parts supplier in the world.  But this is where my board comes in.  The board I've designed is a drop-in replacement for the LCD gear display.  It will fit on the GPI board inside the cluster and will replace a failed LCD display.

Below are pictures of my working prototype.

LED Replacement Board for Gear Indicator in OEM Cluster Vpw5ll

The board is held in with 2-56 screws in the original holes.  The board shows as being a little oversize but I'll correct that in the next batch of printed circuit cards.  The displays I chose are Red in colour but I can choose other colours as well.  It is necessary to make one small modification to the GPI board to get this to work.  The modification consists of cutting through one of the PCB traces on the board and soldering a small jumper wire across two pins on an IC.  The modifications are not difficult.  You can see the modification in the photo above, right at the top of the GPI card.

LED Replacement Board for Gear Indicator in OEM Cluster 4r6z42

Others have added a LED display to the OEM GPI board but needed to heavily modify the board in the process. Not here. There are small pins that contact the original pads on the GPI board, as you can see in the photo above.

I have one last task in this project and that is to design and 3D print a part to accept the two mounting screws.  Once I have that complete, I'll start to offer this for sale.

6th Gear Modification

Slightly related to this, it is possible to modify the BMW GPI board to indicate 6th gear.  I helped a guy with this modification as he was installing a K100 cluster on a three-wheeled vehicle.

The modification is to add a small jumper as illustrated in the photo below.  Once done, the GPI board will indicate gears 1 through 6 and neutral.

LED Replacement Board for Gear Indicator in OEM Cluster 2ykxbex

Last edited by robmack on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Great work Robert, you did a very helpful job !
I’m sure I’ll be coming back to you, sooner or later Smile

Cheers

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great work again rob

something I had looked into, but got distracted along the path giggle

I think I have a couple of gpi decoder boards that I picked up today ..at hand.. if you would like to play with them  ..if it helps

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I have two boards with good LCD displays that I'm trying to sell if anyone needs an OEM display.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

cycleman

cycleman
Silver member
Silver member
So did these get into production?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes ...limited production

ask robmack

there is another thread outlining the use and availability in here

use the search facility  found on the "portal page "  t will make searching far easier

but heres the link

https://www.k100-forum.com/t8674-aftermarket-gear-indicator-neutral-indicator-board-3-circuit-fuse-block

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum