BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    K100 LT V K100 RT on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:31 am

StuartG

Hi All

Due to excessive Pier Pressure from a dedicated group of the K100 Forum

I have decided to add a K series to my Garage.

I am looking at purchasing a pre 1988 (Historic Rego).

Would anyone be able to tell me the differences between a
K 100 RT and K 100 LT. 

any help will greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance 
StuartG

2Back to top Go down    Re: K100 LT V K100 RT on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 am

Inge K.

VIP
VIP

3Back to top Go down    Re: K100 LT V K100 RT on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:57 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
hi stewart welcome aboard

not a lot of differences really ,
depending on year models, on the lt versions there were things like an integrated radio cassette type thing in the left hand side pocket ,an ariel fitted to the fairing out front (for the radio )  dash featured speakers instead of additional instruments (fuel level and temp meters )  which then lived in the knee guards   
and later  transferred to the bridge across the fairing , under the windscreen .  on k1100 versions ..which also had a tilt able windscreen motor driven

some later models were fitted with abs ..

the options for the seat could have also been for the comfort seat as standard as well  where as rt was an option thing
and other little options

I believe later versions of the lt had a different air vent system on the lower fairings , and even a moveable air scoop added to help with heat issues  

there re far many more folks in here qualified to list all the differences  but I guess that's a start .

hope you find what your looking for

cheers

just saw that inge linked to a similar thread ...before I could post ....  good lookup skills inge ...cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

4Back to top Go down    Re: K100 LT V K100 RT on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:53 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Charlie summed it up nicely.

The RT/LT are identical mechanically and in fairing etc.

Comfort seat is the best seat of all!

Personally having both a 92 K100LTABS  and a 97 K1100LT ABS, I don't have any radio or audio stuff in them, dead weight where you don't want it.

I also have a 1984 K100RT I bought with only 36k miles on it and after replacing seat and tidying up I have put well over 50k miles on it. Of the 3 its the lightest as it also doesn't have the ABS which s quite a weight.

I do a lot of long trips and work trips that can be 400 miles in a day. Any of them are good for it but there is a noticeable difference in that the RT feels a bit more nimble around town. The K1100LT has a purpose made seat but also feels like you would do mammoth motorway rides. All 3 were bought on the basis of condition rather than feeling I must have a specific model.

I would say do some looking and when you find a really good one go for it. You will need a budget to spend after you buy one- no matter what you always end up spending some, be it tyres or some other stuff.

Don't always be put off by a problem, the K100LT had to come home on a trailer due to brake issues. I took it for a test ride and all was good, 90k miles on it. €380 later at a local mechanics it was sorted with fully cleaned and sorted brakes, new cables, service and various other jobs done. New battery on top of the and my €500 post purchase allowance used.

The K100RT came from a forum member here and I knew the bike for a year or more before I bought it. This one needed very little but I took it apart on the patio on a sunny summer weekend and went through all the electrics and did full service, pads etc. It needed a replacement rear shock too.

The K1100LT also came from a forum member living near me, he had it 4 years. Its been fine but shortly after I got it the usual 16v exhaust cracking issue came up. I came across a brand new Remus system on eBay very cheap and also popped in new clutch cable and brake pads. My €500 post purchase repair allowance happily gone.

Ks are best bought when they are being regularly used. A low mile one sitting for years will require work on all the seals. If you can do these you are in clover, if not it can be an expense so don't over pay for a low mile mint bike.

5Back to top Go down    Re: K100 LT V K100 RT on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:49 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Yes, there are differences but IMO they're the same bike so if looking for an LT vs RT I'd worry more about miles/general condition than which of those models.

I'd lean towards a model year 86 or later because there are some critical parts that are easier to replace if needed on the later bikes - like the fuel level sender.  But I'd still consider an early bike if in good condition.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down    Re: K100 LT V K100 RT on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
beware of fairing bracketing  they all seem to break or come loose at some stage
but more importantly check physically the fairing to triple tree mount points right near the headlight  they do break if the bike has been dropped , a good telltale sign ..  beware of buggered up repair jobs to those mounting points

nothing that cant be fixed ...with time and patience

I would recommend 87 or later  to get all the revised bits and pieces

my 86 came with lots of 85 parts , what was left in the bin I expect during  changeover of production parts on the factory production run

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

7Back to top Go down    Re: K100 LT V K100 RT on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:02 am

StuartG

Thanks Charlie and everyone else for the advise and wealth of knowledge.
I am looking at a 88 LT hopefully tomorrow, so I will let you all know
Or be back to you all with sone more questions
Thank again
StuartG

2011 BMW R1200 RT

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum