BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   At a Loss Empty At a Loss Sun May 06, 2018 11:50 am

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Every so often, my K100RT decides to behave like it is running out of fuel, it begins to miss fire and run on two cylinders.
Usually when I turn it off and restart it clears up, today I lost power and the bike stalled, it started a few times but would not pull away, then refused to start. I applied the choke slightly and the bike fired up and ran properly.
I know the bike needs a service, When I had the oil s changed the Gearbox oil was milky, the other oils were just old and black. I ran the first tank of fuel because I though it might be old and the cause. I have refilled and used a fuel cleaning additive. The bike is showing 47771 Miles. If I get a full 48000 mile service is the problem likely to go away?  Or is there another underlying problem?

2Back to top Go down   At a Loss Empty Re: At a Loss Sun May 06, 2018 11:58 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
My first guess would be fuel tank connector going bad.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   At a Loss Empty Re: At a Loss Sun May 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
duck wrote:My first guess would be fuel tank connector going bad.
That's my first thought. I replace those connectors almost as soon as I get a K.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   At a Loss Empty Re: At a Loss Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:26 am

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I have just had the 50,000 mile service, I got the workshop to replace the pump at the same time as the filter. It turned out that the plastic  mounting is 55mm and the rubber has perished, the pump is not fitted properly, it bounces around as I am riding, I am jus waiting your the plastic mount to arrive then hopefully the problem will be cured. someone has bodged the previous repairs.

5Back to top Go down   At a Loss Empty Re: At a Loss Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:47 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
A pump that slips to the floor of the tank will intermittently and unpredictably stall—sometimes stalling once then running for the rest of the day, sometime repeatedly stalling or just not starting. I encountered that condition once.

A pump vibration damper that fits with the pump installed in it at the proper height within is the cure. Congratulations on getting this resolved.

6Back to top Go down   At a Loss Empty Re: At a Loss Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 am

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
The bike behaves like a totally different machine, I get instant power and no stuttering. The smile is back on my face.

7Back to top Go down   At a Loss Empty Re: At a Loss Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:32 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:A pump that slips to the floor of the tank will intermittently and unpredictably stall—sometimes stalling once then running for the rest of the day, sometime repeatedly stalling or just not starting. I encountered that condition once. 

I probably shouldn't admit it but I've run with a "loose" fuel pump (no rubber vibration dampener collar) and never had any stalls.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]