BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Gearbox input spline lube on Tue May 15, 2018 12:05 pm

audibob

Platinum member
Platinum member
If anyone ( like me ) has been reluctant to do the gearbox input spline lube, because

!. My clutch feels fairly good anyway.

2. I havent done this before and it seems a big job

THEN DO IT.....

having done my rear main seal, and lubed the input splines which were bone dry, I now have a really light clutch , which you will appreciate when you are next stuck in a traffic jam.

Of course it helps to lube the operating arm bearings ( grease nipple fitted ) and not forgetting the lever barrel.

I had an annoying heavy click from my clutch, only to find the barrel was bone dry.

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

2Back to top Go down    Re: Gearbox input spline lube on Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
When I do a spline lube I take the barrel out of the clutch lever and wipe a bit of the Honda Moly 60 onto the barrel. I also have an oil can with 15w40 in it on a shelf next to my bikes. About every other time I take my bike out I put a small drop of oil on the barrel as well.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down    Re: Gearbox input spline lube on Tue May 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Snod Blatter

Life time member
Life time member
@audibob wrote:If anyone ( like me ) has been reluctant to do the gearbox input spline lube, because

!. My clutch feels fairly good anyway.

2. I havent done this before and it seems a big job

THEN DO IT.....
Ugh, this is me. Clutch is heavy but not unmanageable, I'm blaming the cable.. Changes from 2nd to 1st are getting increasingly clattery though. Can I blame the cheap gear oil that's in there?

4Back to top Go down    Re: Gearbox input spline lube on Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Check the clutch arm Jack. If the bearings are toast the arm will pull to one side and rub against the spigots. That leads to a really nasty heavy clutch. To detach the cable I put a large screwdriver against the inside base of the gearbox. Once the cable nipple is out of the fork, lower the screwdriver carefully to see if the clutch arm will move through the full arc. Don't allow it to snap back or smash against the exhaust system because you stand a chance of ripping the boot if you do. If the movement is stiff or limited, reattach the cable and try penetrating oil around the clutch arm pivots. If the stuff runs out rust-coloured, it's a good bet the bearings have collapsed. Changing them is a serious PITA; it would be faster and possibly better to ream the lot out and replace with oilite or similar. The previous owner of my clutch arm did just that.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

5Back to top Go down    Re: Gearbox input spline lube on Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Difficult changes especially in the lower gears are indicative of a dry clutch spline. If it were mine it would get attention very soon considering the clutches I have seen destroyed and the input splines worn so much as to be unusable.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

6Back to top Go down    gearbox input spline lube on Wed May 16, 2018 4:43 am

audibob

Platinum member
Platinum member
As my bike came without the sidestand cable , I cut the length of my clutch actuating rod, and the operating

arm, so I could pull the rod out past the exhaust, But was still a pain in the ass to get get back in fighting against the return spring.

Eventually got round to putting a grease nipple in, makes life so much easier for the the sake of a couple of hours work.

If you put a grease nipple in, be careful because you can run it too close to the gearbox casting which prevents

the clutch arm going back to its rest position.

I nearly did on mine.

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]