BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Valve shims on Sun May 20, 2018 11:34 am

Neal Cooper

Silver member
Silver member
Hello to all,
I am not able to work on my 'bike' due to work commitments abroad at the moment...unfortunately.

Valve shims - I was endeavouring to put shims back in and even with the round ended bucket depressor and spacer it was very difficult as I didn't have the pointed pry tool with the ball on the end. When I get back I will have another go using something pointy...

Found a used fuel pump on ebay and have bought that.

I will need an exhaust system...

Is the final drive crown wheel bearing easy to get off or should I just try and get a second hand unit?
Found this post which is comprehensive and so will try to fix I think:http://www.k100-forum.com/t5697-how-to-check-and-replace-the-final-drive-crown-wheel-bearing-and-seal

Cheers
Neal

2Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Snod Blatter

Life time member
Life time member
@Neal Cooper wrote:Valve shims - I was endeavouring to put shims back in and even with the round ended bucket depressor and spacer it was very difficult as I didn't have the pointed pry tool with the ball on the end. When I get back I will have another go using something pointy...

Is the final drive crown wheel bearing easy to get off or should I just try and get a second hand unit?
For the shims I actually used a hypodermic needle and that was barely sharp enough, they are a right pain to get out!

The crown wheel bearing can be a nightmare, I had to take mine to a workshop to have it pressed off while the bloke attacked it with a blow torch. It is possible that some are tighter than others. I would heavily recommend checking the condition of the input splines and using that to help you decide what to do, if the splines are worn and the crown wheel bearing is goosed then I would view the unit as scrap and go find a better one. Beware there is a good chance you'll have to re-shim it too after fitting the new bearing, for extra faff points.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Put a sharp point under the shim where the cutaway section is and a small magnet to grab the shim and after 30 years practice it's easy.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

4Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Wed May 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
I haven't done this myself but have a look at this video of someone using compressed air to pop the shim out. Maybe that method can reduce the 30 year learning curve.

Here's the video

Cheers

5Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Wed May 23, 2018 8:20 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Do they tell how oil sprays everywhere

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

6Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Sat May 26, 2018 6:43 am

Neal Cooper

Silver member
Silver member
@RicK G wrote:Put a sharp point under the shim where the cutaway section is and a small magnet to grab the shim and after 30 years practice it's easy.
Yes, I remember the first time I did it on my first K100 and it was easier. I didn't have a decent sharp pointed implement this time and my rechargeable work light was low on juice... Then I got the special tool stuck behind the cam shaft because I was using it the wrong way round for the inlet valves (lift up for this side if I remember correctly, push down for exhaust ?). Then I started to lose patience which is never a good state of mind when working on a bike... Shocked
BUT when I get back to my garage I will sort this. Thanks all for your input.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Sat May 26, 2018 6:43 am

Neal Cooper

Silver member
Silver member
@Gaz wrote:I haven't done this myself but have a look at this video of someone using compressed air to pop the shim out. Maybe that method can reduce the 30 year learning curve.

Here's the video

Cheers
Like it!

8Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Sat May 26, 2018 6:47 am

Neal Cooper

Silver member
Silver member
@Snod Blatter wrote:
@Neal Cooper wrote:Valve shims - I was endeavouring to put shims back in and even with the round ended bucket depressor and spacer it was very difficult as I didn't have the pointed pry tool with the ball on the end. When I get back I will have another go using something pointy...

For the shims I actually used a hypodermic needle and that was barely sharp enough, they are a right pain to get out!

The crown wheel bearing can be a nightmare, I had to take mine to a workshop to have it pressed off while the bloke attacked it with a blow torch. It is possible that some are tighter than others. I would heavily recommend checking the condition of the input splines and using that to help you decide what to do, if the splines are worn and the crown wheel bearing is goosed then I would view the unit as scrap and go find a better one. Beware there is a good chance you'll have to re-shim it too after fitting the new bearing, for extra faff points.
Yes, and a new output bearing is 48 from Motorworks! Might not be worth it if the splines are in bad shape...

9Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Sat May 26, 2018 7:33 am

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
If you have the bucket depressed and the shim not pinched, try using a slim, telescopic magnet 315USD. That's all I use for extraction and replacement.

The $3.30 version illustrated below is available in multicolors. Mine is chrome-colored; I just can't decide yet on a shade that harmonizes with lubricant yet expresses depth-of-feeling.

10Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Sat May 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Neal Cooper

Silver member
Silver member
@Laitch wrote:
If you have the bucket depressed and the shim not pinched, try using a slim, telescopic magnet 315USD. That's all I use for extraction and replacement.

The $3.30 version illustrated below is available in multicolors. Mine is chrome-colored; I just can't decide yet on a shade that harmonizes with lubricant yet expresses depth-of-feeling.
I have the very thing... with built in LED torch...I'm in business

11Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Mon May 28, 2018 9:26 am

Snod Blatter

Life time member
Life time member
@Neal Cooper wrote:Yes, and a new output bearing is 48 from Motorworks! Might not be worth it if the splines are in bad shape...
Shims are about 15 each once you've paid for postage, and output seals are about 10 if you want to replace it. And you may well have to pay someone to get the bearing off, and if you don't have some angled feeler gauges or a dial guage and a steady stand then you may have to buy some tools to be able to shim it properly.. Nightmare really.

I'm not out to put you off, by all means have a go but beware it's not as easy as some people say!

12Back to top Go down    Re: Valve shims on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 am

Neal Cooper

Silver member
Silver member
https://youtu.be/-1sM29zGxeo

Yes, things aren't necessarily easy...skill, knowledge and experience do definitely count... Laughing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum