BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Am I too short to drive a 1989 k100 rs? on Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 am

Kathysresto

I just recently purchased a 1989 k100 rs. I straddled the bike while at the P.O. home and was not able to touch great but my boyfrend said the seat was not all the way on. Iím 5í3. If itís not a safe plan is there ways to lower it a bit?

duck

Life time member
Life time member
You can install a BMW low seat setup on it. Here's an example on a naked K100:

It may not look like it in the picture but it really is quite a bit lower.

Overall height isn't the issue. Your inseam is.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Kathysresto

I love the look of your bike! Iíll have to work on finding that set up. †Thanks! I love,the naked look. I bet itís more windy on the freeway with all the extras removed.

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
@Kathysresto wrote:I bet itís more windy on the freeway with all the extras removed.
You don't need to change the look of your bike; you just need to change the seat and its components. It isn't hinged so it uses different hardware than the standard seat, and it should have the tank surround as in this photo and the previous example. It will lower the rider approximately two inches.

After that, good core strength and balance will help. Maybe boots with stacked soles and heels and a modification of the shift lever to work with one could be options.

duck

Life time member
Life time member
@Kathysresto wrote:I love the look of your bike! Iíll have to work on finding that set up. †Thanks! I love,the naked look. I bet itís more windy on the freeway with all the extras removed.

That's not my K100, just a low seat pic I found with Google.

My K100 looks like this:

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

Kathysresto

@Laitch wrote:
@Kathysresto wrote:I bet itís more windy on the freeway with all the extras removed.
You don't need to change the look of your bike; you just need to change the seat and its components. It isn't hinged so it uses different hardware than the standard seat, and it should have the tank surround as in this photo and the previous example. It will lower the rider approximately two inches.

After that, good core strength and balance will help. Maybe boots with stacked soles and heels and a modification of the shift lever to work with one could be options.

Thank you! Great suggestions. Iím glad you mentioned the shifter to consider for a good fit . † †Lots to consider.

Kathysresto

@duck wrote:
@Kathysresto wrote:I love the look of your bike! Iíll have to work on finding that set up. †Thanks! I love,the naked look. I bet itís more windy on the freeway with all the extras removed.

That's not my K100, just a low seat pic I found with Google.

My K100 looks like this:
† Dry nice looking bike! My favorite color, but I do love this white with dark blue on our bike. I canít wait to clean it up.

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Those SEs have a great paint scheme. I'm usually not a fan of white vehicles but I think BMW did a great job with those RSs.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
Buy a set of shoe lifts† then buy a pair of motorcycle boots with the thickest soles you can find. Try the lifts in the boots before you buy them, not all boots will accept lifts comfortably. Next drop the forks through the trees you can go about 1/2'' without upsetting the handling. You can get a lower OEM seat or alternatively a good upholsterer that is experienced with motorcycle seats can shave your OEM seat. There is also a shorter rear shock available, but this will impact on corner clearance and make the bike harder to get onto the centre stand without modifications to the stand.
Regards Martin.

Kathysresto

@MartinW wrote:Buy a set of shoe lifts† then buy a pair of motorcycle boots with the thickest soles you can find. Try the lifts in the boots before you buy them, not all boots will accept lifts comfortably. Next drop the forks through the trees you can go about 1/2'' without upsetting the handling. You can get a lower OEM seat or alternatively a good upholsterer that is experienced with motorcycle seats can shave your OEM seat. There is also a shorter rear shock available, but this will impact on corner clearance and make the bike harder to get onto the centre stand without modifications to the stand.
Regards Martin.
Thank you for the info,

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum