BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 am

George_Pap

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Good day community.
K100RT resurrection project advances.
After researching the bad/poor idle running issue i did the test as suggested to spray check my injection - intake manifolds area for leaks.
So, what i did.



A. Sprayed some WD40 contact cleaner and found idle stalling when spraying the red marked areas in the picture.



B. Took out the injectors and tested the spray pattern on a paper cardboard. pattern was even and fine.

So. Its certain that i have to fix the leak. And here come my questions

1. Can i replace the Oetiker clamps with common ones?

2. Since i'm there for that fix is there something else i could check to prevent dismantling the whole left side in the near future?


3. Here is the parts list i'm preparing to order. Do i miss anything? Its crucial because ordering from Motorworks UK takes to reach my Island more than 2 weeks. I m thinking that it would be wise to replace all 4 inlets, lower and upper and clips.




4. Is any of these parts interchangeable with any current production part that i could acquire from the local BMW Dealer?


5. Also want to replace the fuel line from the tank in order to expand it a bit longer for easier tank removal. The OEM part dimensions are 8x13 (mm i guess)
I cant find the exact match from 3rd party such as WURTH or KLEBER. The closest i get is 7,5 X 15. Any suggestions?

Thank you once more for the helo.


__________________________________________________
K100RT (Early 1985 -nonABS)
    

2Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 8:22 am

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
1. You don't need Oetiker clamps. You can use worm drives (jubilee clips). Just be careful not to foul the throttle quadrant which will stop the throttle from closing. A lot of us have worm drives down there now.
2. No... but the repair should last for quite a few years / kms.
3. A couple of questions:
Why do you need the injector clips? Unless yours are really rusty, they're reusable.
I'd get a couple of sets of the rubber vacuum caps. They do have a habit of disappearing when you're not looking Very Happy
Throttle body inlet manifold - I stuck mine down with Threebond as a 'belt-and-braces' safety measure.
4. Don't you need the crankcase to airbox breather pipe as well (ENA60480)? This is another item that I'd consider getting two of; regretably they don't seem to last very long.
5. Fuel lines: your local autoshop will be able to help there. 8mm x 13mm lines are okay.

Also, check the vacuum hose to pressure regulator pipe (FUA45323).

Can't think of anything else... Anyone?


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
For clamps the Suzuki ones are the go

48mm Suzuki band clamp 09402-48208 for TB->bushings and bushings->air plenum connections. Cost about$4.75 each. not sure if the price is USD AUD or even current


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

4Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
$4.75 for a hose clamp? Did Suzuki hire the pricing manager away from BMW?

I use generic hose clamps - but they need to be ones with a narrow band to fit the groove on the BMW rubber boots.




__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 3:17 pm

George_Pap

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Dai wrote:1. You don't need Oetiker clamps. You can use worm drives (jubilee clips). Just be careful not to foul the throttle quadrant which will stop the throttle from closing. A lot of us have worm drives down there now.
2. No... but the repair should last for quite a few years / kms.
3. A couple of questions:
Why do you need the injector clips? Unless yours are really rusty, they're reusable.
I'd get a couple of sets of the rubber vacuum caps. They do have a habit of disappearing when you're not looking Very Happy
Throttle body inlet manifold - I stuck mine down with Threebond as a 'belt-and-braces' safety measure.
4. Don't you need the crankcase to airbox breather pipe as well (ENA60480)? This is another item that I'd consider getting two of; regretably they don't seem to last very long.
5. Fuel lines: your local autoshop will be able to help there. 8mm x 13mm lines are okay.

Also, check the vacuum hose to pressure regulator pipe (FUA45323).

Can't think of anything else... Anyone?

Dai i m getting the injector clips to replace the old ones. Its a minor cost so i try to gather any available part especially if cheap.
So i m droping the oetiker special clamps and heding to standard 48mm worm style from a local market.
And yes i will add the z-shaped breather hose as the vac to pressure reg hose.
Thank you!


__________________________________________________
K100RT (Early 1985 -nonABS)
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 3:20 pm

George_Pap

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@RicK G wrote:For clamps the Suzuki ones are the go

48mm Suzuki band clamp 09402-48208 for TB->bushings and bushings->air plenum connections. Cost about$4.75 each. not sure if the price is USD AUD or even current

it should be AU $ otherwise Duck has a point about rhe exBMW pricing manager Smile
Thank you both!


__________________________________________________
K100RT (Early 1985 -nonABS)
    

7Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Inge K.

avatar
VIP
VIP
@George_Pap wrote:So i m droping the oetiker special clamps and heding to standard 48mm worm style from a local market.

Get some that is narrow enough to fit in the grooves in the rubber sleeves,
and when mounting...that they don't interfere With the trottel mechanism.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

8Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Wed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm

ReneZ

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
The Suzuki ones will work, no worries.

Brgds, Rene


__________________________________________________
Greetings from Florida! Having a 'new' K :cyclops: Surprised-o:

Rene


BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029)
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223)
    

9Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 am

George_Pap

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Everything went smooth and peacefully gentlemen. Really thank you all for your support. No more air leaks.


__________________________________________________
K100RT (Early 1985 -nonABS)
    

10Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Woodie

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
"I use generic hose clamps"


Do you have a source Duck? The width of the band seemed to be hard to find when I was looking online (admittedly I'm not the best person to find what I want on the interwebthingy)


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RT
52667
    

11Back to top Go down    Re: Air Leak Fixing help needed on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@George_Pap wrote:Everything went smooth and peacefully gentlemen. Really thank you all for your support. No more air leaks.
That is seriously good news - thanks for letting us know, George! Very Happy Very Happy


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum