BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Kathysresto

avatar
active member
active member
ive been following instructions as I’m learning and looked up the details of my bike and was hoping someone could translate what. Found for me please . Thanks 

Chassis number0044831
Vehicle code0513
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 ) 
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelUSA
Production date1988 / 10 
Engine0513)
Transmission
Steering
CatalyzerNONE

    

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
That production date looks a bit odd to me. Reason being, mine is 0044888 and it was built in November 1983. Your chassis number is prior to mine and I'd expect it to be 10/83, not 10/88. It's got to be wrong because the model is being quoted as 1983 too.

Inge? Any thoughts?


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

Kathysresto

avatar
active member
active member
Here’s the other site and what it shows

    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:That production date looks a bit odd to me. Reason being, mine is 0044888 and it was built in November 1983. Your chassis number is prior to mine and I'd expect it to be 10/83, not 10/88. It's got to be wrong because the model is being quoted as 1983 too.

Inge? Any thoughts?

0044888 decodes to a build date of 10/88, not 1983.


0044831 is a white/blue RS built on 10/17/88
0044888 is a white/blue RS built on 10/26/88


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
Here is the Real OEM picture.
The 83 refers to the year the model was first built as you can see the K100RT is 84 and the K100 is 83 then 88 for the later naked version
10/88 is right on the knocker for the K100RS SE which was bought out just prior to the release of the K100RS 16 valve engine


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."  from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@duck wrote:0044888 decodes to a build date of 10/88, not 1983.

That will teach me to be to lazy to read the owner's document when it's only four feet from where I'm sitting. Try 04433 for mine instead... Sad Apologies all round.


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
The VIN 0044831 should make it, in the USA at least, registerable as a 1989 model since BMW year/model production start is September of the previous year. 

As an aside as to how it's done from place to place, my red RS in OZ was built in 10/86 but Queensland Transport insist on calling it an '89 model because it was imported into OZ from Germany by the owner that year and 1989 is etched into the riveted on Qld VIN plate.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, '93 K11/K12 hybrid 'Big Block', '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

Kathysresto

avatar
active member
active member
@Two Wheels Better wrote:The VIN 0044831 should make it, in the USA at least, registerable as a 1989 model since BMW year/model production start is September of the previous year. 

As an aside as to how it's done from place to place, my red RS in OZ was built in 10/86 but Queensland Transport insist on calling it an '89 model because it was imported into OZ from Germany by the owner that year and 1989 is etched into the riveted on Qld VIN plate.
Very interesting.   The title states 1989, so sounds like we are all on the same page. Thanks for the info Smile

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum