BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 pm

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member

Hi guys. A good mate of mine just dropped off my first K100 rt 1990 ex police bike. It has been half stripped down, all of the wiring harness unplugged but still on the bike. My first job will be to sort the wires out, clean all the plugs and reconnect the whole lot. It was apparently running well 2 years ago but used to cut out intermittently (sounded like a loose plug or wire I think). After that I plan to give it a few runs around the block after cleaning the tank out and start looking at where I will go from there. I will be lubing all splines and then I am not sure where to go next.

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Good project Marc. It will be good in the end and there's plenty of knowledge on the forum to help you chew the tough bits.

Enjoy!!!!

Cheers

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
The four pin plug that resides under the right hand side of the petrol tank is a known source of problems. Mine was fine for twenty years and then started to cause problems even after using DeoxIT two part. I got cheesed off and replaced it with a four pin waterproof connector purchased from Jaycar.
Regards Martin.

charlie99

VIP
VIP
a great starting point to learn all the stuff with k bikes

have fun

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
Just ordered 3 monkey nuts and a fuel pump dampener as I am still trying to get the old one off of my fingers Embarassed

charlie99

VIP
VIP
likely new fuel pump and filter needed as well

had some success with white vinegar inside the tank to clean up the varnish coated in there ...more stuff needed for cleaning up dissolved rubber

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
Enlighten me oh wise ones . What other stuff is needed to remove the other gunk and what mix of white vinegar .Mix with water or just pour it in?

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
Use it straight, and if you want to reuse it, filter it through a coffee or paint filter. Green Scotch scouring pads help.
And if you don't want Vegemite (black stuff) imbedded in your hands wear Nitrile gloves. Most of it will come free and be suspended in the vinegar. Until all traces of fuel have been purged do not use a vacuum cleaner on it. KABOOM.
Regards Martin.

9Back to top Go down    Bite taken on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:35 am

norton71

I found metho (methylated spirits) excellent to remove disintergrated rubber from fuel pump dampener holder location and my hands ....be aware there is also a ridge that rubber gunk gets up under where the fuel dampener fits...i used a bent coat hanger and extendable small mirror to scrape mine out...as the old aussie song goes " oh have you ever been on the kerosene when the metho is getting down low" Very Happy

10Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:55 pm

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
That's awesome. I wont even have to keep the metho in the fridge at this time of year Shamrock . Petrol removed the gunk from my hands in the end. I wil try to salvage the fuel pump and because it was working when parked up I think I might be able to sort it out.

11Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:14 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
I used an aluminium cleaner brought from bunnings
Used for washing tinnys up here in QLD and bull bars
Came up a treat
Pretty sure posted a pic on the stuff on a thread some where

Were about are you

12Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 am

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
@Matthew-Brisbane wrote:I used an aluminium cleaner brought from bunnings
Used for washing tinnys up here in QLD and bull bars
Came up a treat
Pretty sure posted a pic on the stuff on a thread some where

Were about are you
Tara, south of Chinchilla. AKA..... The middle of nowhere. We have 100 acres here with acess to another 300 if you are wandering up this way, Cold ATM but cool for camping Very Happy

13Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Chemtec make , it's called Blitz. Truckies use it on the alloy Bumblebeebars.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

14Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:52 pm

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
After doing much much reading on the forum (thanks guys) I have found that a product called Sard wonder spray is great for removing the dreaded black goo. It is a stain remover for clothes but does a great job inside the tank. If I can get my fuel pump to work again I will post a how to. I have it full of sard ATM hoping it might free up. It kicks a little when I put power to it but still wont spin. I am hoping it will free up after a few days of soaking.

15Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 am

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
Sometimes alternating the polarity will free them up. As a last resort try briefly applying 18V and alternating polarity.
Regards Martin..

16Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:15 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I would be buying a new pump. VL Commodore fits just fine

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

17Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:22 am

MarcS

Silver member
Silver member
@MartinW wrote:Sometimes alternating the polarity will free them up. As a last resort try briefly applying 18V and alternating polarity.
Regards Martin..
I have been hitting it for a fraction of a second with 24v, it is soaking again now but i bought 2 cheap ones from Aliexpress for about $55 delivered. If this one ever works ok I will keep it as a spare spare.

18Back to top Go down    Re: Big bite taken, having trouble chewing on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
It is possible to take a fuel pump apart and fix it.

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/fuelpump.oem/fuelpump.oem.htm

I have also freed a few of them up by letting them sit in a cup a Techron fuel system cleaner for a few days.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum