BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Leveling Forks Empty Leveling Forks Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 am

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
Does anyone have a fool proof and accurate method of getting the forks level?

Previously, had a bit of wiggling of the handle bars when riding. Pulled the front end (for a few different tasks), noticed the forks were uneven in height.

Have recently done the steering bearings. When refitting the forks, I was trying to get them even. Have got them sitting slightly raised above the upper triple clamp. Why you ask - well they were like this on the bike and as I was riding it naked (the bike - not me) I liked the stance. A hedonistic whank I know.

Anyway I have now got them to within .5mm using digital vernier calipers and a ruler (and a reluctant son). Should I persist? Will it matter? 

Or has someone fashioned a piece of angle to help set the forks evenly? 

I'm of the opinion that the top of the fork seal (with large hex head bolt for refilling fork oil) may not be the same height. I was measuring off the top of the staunchion.

Regards

Guy

PS: Product endorsement: found some sticky black material tape on ebay (China of course) to re-wrap the wires up front. Looks good.

2Back to top Go down   Leveling Forks Empty Re: Leveling Forks Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I just slide the tube so the top is even with the top of the triple clamp.  I suppose I could obsess over it, but as far as I can tell the forks work okay.

Sounds like you have found the Chinese version of good old friction tape.  Works great for wrapping wire bundles because it doesn't get hard and gooey like electrical tape.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Leveling Forks Empty Re: Leveling Forks Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
I've been reading the Cylmer manual for the K1100LT on the procedure(s) related to the forks myself, as I need to address some issues.  The manual states the top of the tubes should sit proud of the bridge by 6mm.  Mind you, this may not be true for all forks/models of K-bikes.

4Back to top Go down   Leveling Forks Empty Re: Leveling Forks Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:11 pm

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
Have been away from forum for a few days...

Ironically, I had enough of obsessing over it and just laid a ruler over the top of the stanchion and the top of the triple clamp and left it at that.

Now I might go back an re-impose the 6mm or more height.

Thanks for the replies

Happy riding to you all

Guy

5Back to top Go down   Leveling Forks Empty Re: Leveling Forks Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I always just make it so that a wee bit of silver is peeking out of the upper fork tree on each side.

I don't believe the Clymer 6mm thing as I've had over 20 Ks and on all of them the tops of the forks have been more or less even with the upper fork tree.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down   Leveling Forks Empty Re: Leveling Forks Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I just slid some rebuilt Marzocchi forks assemblies up into my Big Block and snugged down the pinch bolts with the legs just a whisker proud of the upper triple clamp, just as they were when I removed the old ones. You can only just see wisp of chrome shining back at you, but it sure ain't no 6mm, that's not necessary. More like the thickness of a blonde's fine pube.

I should think that the correct fork oil level, all other things even, would be something to better concern myself with - the Marzocchi's oil level is uneven! 
Wink

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum