BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty stopped dead after refueling Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 pm

skinny b

skinny b
So I was lucky enough to buy this bike for £260, none runner, shattered rear disc, knackered fuel pump, so after a 18 month period decided I wanted it on the road for the wife and I to tour around Ireland, all work done all seems ok test rode it a couple of times on a private road, all seems good, time for an M.O.T., all booked got dressed for the ride over and left home, called into my local garage for fuel, paid got on bike and rode of feeling exited for what  I had achieved thus far. Now for the your help please, I filled the tank to the brim and got about a mile down the road from the petrol station and it stopped, no fuel pump sound coming from the tank , can anyone help, Its was definitely petrol,so that can be ruled out
K100 LT 1988

Last edited by skinny b on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://airyarts.com

2Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty Re: stopped dead after refueling Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:47 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
One usual suspect is the electrical connector for the fuel tank.

(You might want to put your year and model in your profile signature.)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty Re: stopped dead after refueling Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
The same happened to me. After refueling and half kilometer K died. Tank was full of diesel.

4Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty Re: stopped dead after refueling Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:42 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
A check on the fuel situation is first step. What was the fuel tank like inside? Clean? No bits in it? Did you change the filter?

An easier check is the fuel injection control unit under the seat, is the plug connector fully seated?

Is the fuel pump plug connector right hand tank rear good or fully seated and undisturbed?

When it stopped will it turn over and fail to fire or is it completely dead pointing to non fuel issues?

How far was the ride to the gas station, could it point to Hall sensor issue?

I am in south west Ireland and lots of K owners over here so let us know your plans....camping....hotels.....places you want to see etc.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

5Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty Re: stopped dead after refueling Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:16 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
While you're doing everything else, disconnect the plug from the fuel injection control box that is beneath  the seat. Clean it thoroughly with high quality electrical contact cleaner on a small brush, reinstall it into the control box firmly, being certain its latch holds it tightly inserted. Then try starting it.

Last edited by Laitch on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty stopped dead after refueling Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 am

skinny b

skinny b
First of all thank you for reading and replying, so I desided to strip and clean the tank and put a new pump and filter in the tank when I decided to get her on the road, I had about 4 ltrs of fuel in it when I first got it running, thats why I new I had to go to my nearest petrol station, (about 1/2 mile away) got to the petrol statiom
n with a great big grin on my face , popped the sidestand down filled up with petrol ,paid and went about 1//8 of a mile when it stopped, I then kept turning her over but with no look, that's when I realized I couldn't hear the fuel pump, I checked the fuses,  wiggled the wires for the pump , It was definitely petrol I put in.

http://airyarts.com

7Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty Re: stopped dead after refueling Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:28 pm

red83gt

red83gt
yep,,happened to me too..My issue was the rubber boot that the pump sits in was coming apart and forming this gooey mess around the pump,,alcohol in the gas does this,,and it sucked it up,,pump locked up..Now I have another new pump and rubber boot kit with filter and hoses to install. Ill let you know how that turns out.the pump that locked up was a few years old,,the filter was clogged and it over stressed it,,,my fault.

8Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty Re: stopped dead after refueling Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:32 pm

red83gt

red83gt
the first pump that locked up was a few years old.. the one im replacing now got the goo in it from the rubber boot.

9Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty Re: stopped dead after refueling Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:24 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

10Back to top Go down   stopped dead after refueling Empty vapor loc? Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 pm

lowboyjimmy

lowboyjimmy
skinny b wrote:So I was lucky enough to buy this bike for £260, none runner, shattered rear disc, knackered fuel pump, so after a 18 month period decided I wanted it on the road for the wife and I to tour around Ireland, all work done all seems ok test rode it a couple of times on a private road, all seems good, time for an M.O.T., all booked got dressed for the ride over and left home, called into my local garage for fuel, paid got on bike and rode of feeling exited for what  I had achieved thus far. Now for the your help please, I filled the tank to the brim and got about a mile down the road from the petrol station and it stopped, no fuel pump sound coming from the tank , can anyone help, Its was definitely petrol,so that can be ruled out
K100 LT 1988
sounds dumm but worth thinking about  I am a new  k100 owner  I never had a bike befor with a fuel pump .. I also have 6 triumphs  ,this has happened to me twice , with the 60s triumphs  after much pushing I discovered it was the fuel cap ,when the tanks full there is very little air space  in it and vapor lock sets in quick , ya  I know this is different with a pump ,  but maybe it has  breaker in it  that makes it quit , who knows now days  its worth opening the  cap and seeing if it will start , on one ride I fueled a mile from home  went home parked it and a wek or so later went for a ride 20 mi it quit  first thing I did was look in the tank   it was almost full  so that cant be it , so I got ready to push  nad thought id try again vroom it stared rite up .  next time it quit I cracked the cap while moving and it started  picking it up ,the brits put a small pin hole in their cap  sitin  for long periods  over a few years the pin hole plugs.  diesel  is a likely suspect  I agree   lowboyjimmy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum