BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tesla13BMW

Tesla13BMW
Silver member
Silver member
I have replaced the rear main seal while I was to do a clutch spline lube etc.

I have looked at Chris Harris's UTube videos and referred to the Clymer manual.  The manual says to apply lube to the outer rim of the diaphragm spring as well as the raised points in the centre.  Chris Harris does not mention this at all.

Other than the pins of the housing cover does anybody apply any lubricant to other parts of the clutch assembly?

P.S.  Man the rear main seal is a bugger to get in!

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
BMW rear main seal is the one to use and don't drive it all the way in. It should be proud by the thickness of a fingernail. Oil before installing.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes indeed mate
the hinge pins - bearings - bushes on the clutch arm as it attaches to the hinge pin on the  lower part of the gearbox housing

many have installed a grease nipple to the arm about the centre of the mechanism to lubricate it

at times especially after a good ride ….in rain soaked roads .. I get a very hard to use clutch action but after lubricating the arm the action is very light .

recently I replaced the bearings in the clutch arm with bushes as the bearings had eaten into the pivot bolt of the pivot of the arm making it realy hard to use ...and I recon a cause for many clutch cables breaking with the added load of rotten bearings …(there are some good posts about clutch hand lever binding with the cable in here ...look them up ..as its a quite common issue )

the area im talking about

Lubing clutch parts when assembling the clutch 20170810

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I don't lube the rim of the diaphragm spring but I do lube the ring that it rides on which is more or less the same thing.

If you lube the clutch arm then be careful removing the circlip on the end of the pivot rod or buy a spare one at the dealer ahead of time. It's one of those small parts that likes to fly across the garage and get lost.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Tesla13BMW

Tesla13BMW
Silver member
Silver member
I am to clean and relube the bearings and pivot pin on the clutch release arm.

Seems no one lubes the diaphragm spring other than on the ring in the clutch housing.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You need to lube the part that touch the pressure plate there are 10 or 12 small nodes.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Tesla13BMW

Tesla13BMW
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Rick G.  That agrees with Clymer manual, but, they also indicate for the diaphragm spring ".....to the perimeter and the raised portions.....where they make contact with the pressure plate".

The raised portions they show in the diagram are the spring steel "clips" that connect the centre portion to the outside.  I am guessing this is just to lubricate the spring steel "clips" rather than as a contact point.  If this was the case you'd think they would lubricate all the points where the outer disc contacts the inner disc.

I bet this is common knowledge once you've done it, but, certainly isn't too clear.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
By lubricating one the other is lubricated upon contact. You don't need much just a smear with your finger.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum