BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Rear main seal - I need some advice on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
Hello All
I need some advice

I brought a rear main seal from Motorbin ( The BMW ) brand one and it had the instruction on the site to soak in oil for two hours before installing.

long story short - I stuffed up installing this seal and deformed it. so I ordered another one form Munich in Western Australia so i could get it before the weekend

The ( BMW ) brand one from Munich states install dry but it has exactly the same part numbers
So this is the first difference in install
I have contacted both wholesalers and they stand by their instructions.

I also have been reading different threads and 50 % state to stretch the seal first over ( Pipe / Socket / Pill Bottle ) the others state don't do this.
So this is the second difference in install

Then further reading state that the oil lip needs to be towards the front of the engine and others state that it rolls back on-itself to face the back of the bike
This seems strange to me and I might be reading it wrong or the the thread is incomplete ??

Thank You in advance

2Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
matt the ones suggested to put over with a pill bottle are the thin Teflon types , and usually for the seal at the timing chain - hall sensor seal at the front of the engine the profiled seal at the rear- clutch is a very different material ,
press the seal home dry
then lubricate liberally the seal lip and the clutch mount shaft whilst reassembling carefully .

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

3Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:39 pm

robmack

Life time member
Life time member
- newer seals made with PTFE should be installed dry
- the seal membrane should curl back to face the front of the engine when the clutch is installed. Nothing you need to do to make this happen
- No need to stretch the seal (have never heard of this. References please)

- install the seal carefully. use a hammer and wooden block, hammering gently and measure often to ensure the seal is being driven evenly
- make sure the seal face sits 0.5mm proud of the casting face. Do not drive it fully home flush with the casting.

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

4Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Guys

5Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
So the my RS developed a leak at via the breather hole in the bell housing about 500 km after replacing the Rear Main Seal

So on the week end I started the second attempted, interesting it only took about 2 hours to get the gear box out and onto the work bench
compared with my first attempt

When lift the gear box onto the bench I can see a sheen of oil around the Gear Box Input spline

and when looking at the clutch side of bell housing it seem free of oil

I know your meant to be able to smell the difference between the oils, but with my sense of smell I cant tell the difference.
it come in hand living with teenage boys and the wife cooking

Question
If the Rear main was leaking oil would it appear around the Gear box Input shaft ?
I can see how but a stupid question is one not asked

In replacing the gear box input shaft oil seal do you just pick it out and re-seat a new one in place or is there additional work that should be done ?

6Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:50 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
The rear main seal leak will usually show up as engine oil inside the housing but iy usually doesn't get on the clutch but if the big O-ring is leaking that will often get on the clutch and possibly the face of the transmission. If the front transmission seal is leaking it will get on the clutch and face of the transmission however transmission oil can get from the seal on the rear of the main input shaft leaking (behind the throw out bearing and runs down the pushrod).
Smell some transmission oil in the bottle and compare with engine oil. Unless your nose is missing then you will smell the difference.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

7Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:10 am

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
Matt if you need a hand or a nose give me a yell. As per Rick if you have no sense of smell get one of the boys or the Boss to have a whiff.
Regards Martin

8Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
Well oiled up the bike
And gave it a short test
Seem like the piddel has been fixed

Need a longer run now to find the next one

9Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:19 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
good to hear Matt

hmm feel like a run to get the banner and meet twb on Saturday ?

not sure of details yet ....

10Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
Saturday is a bad day for me

Boys sports and the like start earlier morning and don finish till 5pm

Sunday is clear

11Back to top Go down    Re: Rear main seal - I need some advice on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:54 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
yep remember that well matt

4 to pickup , one to hockey , 2 to rugby , then pickup the hockey then back to rugby
sunday was rugby only ...but could be anywhere in the greater Brisbane area .usually home after lunch
later was 3 to rugby
...then drop off again ...home by 6pm

summer was far easier ...giggles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum