BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    50/50 mix acetone/atf DOES NOT WORK on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:03 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Okay guys, sorry for the shouting but I'd really like to kill off the internet myth of the 50/50 mix acetone/atf being the best penetrating fluid known to man. It ain't no such thing.

One question; if it's supposed to be that good, why aren't the big companies selling such a mix? There's a fortune there for the making and they're not doing it???

The answer is that it's not acetone in the original mix but a rather more nasty substance -  trichlorethylene. The original article has long since disappeared (possibly available in the Wayback Machine but I haven't looked). See post 10 here:-

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5391292/1/

IME the best commercial penetrating fluid available is Kroil but it's damned expensive and not generally available in the UK. Kroil is designed to be a penetrating fluid and not a water dispellant like WD40.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

2Back to top Go down    Respectively disagree on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 am

caveman

Silver member
Silver member
Dai, I respectively disagree that 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF is not an effective penetrating oil. I have been using it for years with good results, just recently was called out to remove a sized pin on a piece of equipment that other mechanics had tried for days to free up and I had it out in two hours. I will not make the claim that it is the best but will say I have found it very effective.

3Back to top Go down    Re: 50/50 mix acetone/atf DOES NOT WORK on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:59 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I've been using it for years (30) and it has usually worked as well if not better than any other readily available stuff. Saying it "does not work" well I have found it to be effective most of the time. Also considering that for me it's easy to make because I will almost always have ATF and always have some acetone.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

4Back to top Go down    Re: 50/50 mix acetone/atf DOES NOT WORK on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 am

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:. . .  I'd really like to kill off the internet myth of the 50/50 mix acetone/atf being the best penetrating fluid known to man.
In italics is an abridged extract from the introduction to the PBS (Public Broadcasting System in the USA) series, The Power of Myth:
Myths are stories that are based on tradition. . . . Myths are sacred tales that explain the world and man's experience. Myths are as relevant to us today as they were to the ancients. Myths answer timeless questions and serve as a compass to each generation. The myths of lost paradise, for example, give people hope that by living a virtuous life, they can earn a better life in the hereafter.. . .

The myths of perfect rust penetrants give people hope for reclamation of the clapped-out, seized pieces of scrap masquerading as a motorcycle projects in their sheds.

5Back to top Go down    penetrating oil on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:54 am

brickrider2

Platinum member
Platinum member
Here's what seems to be a well-designed evaluation of various mixtures for freeing stubborn fasteners:   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

6Back to top Go down    Re: 50/50 mix acetone/atf DOES NOT WORK on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 am

Two Wheels Better

Every hack mechanic knows all you really need for stubborn fasteners is a blowtorch, a welder and a sledgehammer.

'87 K100RS, '93 K1100RS frame, forks, Paralever & gearbox with '02 K1200RS motor, brakes & wheels, aka the Big Block.

7Back to top Go down    Re: 50/50 mix acetone/atf DOES NOT WORK on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Okay, so saying 'it does not work' was a bit much but this question remains permanently unanswered:-

'(...)if it's supposed to be that good, why aren't the big companies selling such a mix? There's a fortune there for the making and they're not doing it???'

Laitch: Nice quote Very Happy Very Happy

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

8Back to top Go down    Re: 50/50 mix acetone/atf DOES NOT WORK on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
If you want a really good range of penetrants, and protectants have a look at the LPS range LPS 1, LPS 2, LPS 3. Used by a lot of industries under extremely harsh conditions, however they can be expensive. Some of the US inmates should have come across it.  I was lucky enough to buy a US gal of LPS, 1 a pump bottle of LPS1 and a gal of LPS 3 for $20.00 Au at the local Saturday market. It should outlast me. But I have used the acetone ATF mix with success.
Regards Martin.

9Back to top Go down    Re: 50/50 mix acetone/atf DOES NOT WORK on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:37 am

Chickenstrips

When ATF Acetone fails Kerosene wont!  Rust seized pistons were not persuaded by a month of  acetone but a 2 hour 4 cylinder BBQ did the trick. Trying to post bbq pic.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum