BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:52 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
I have seen some footage of a guy who grinds down the valve shim in question to the correct spec using a mounted wheel grinder. Anyone ever done that, and is it acceptable to do? Gonna do mine softly as I've got nearly 90,000 on the Odometer and they've never been touched. Some popping on decelaration has made me want to do them. Question

2Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 pm

nobbylon

nobbylon
Silver member
Silver member
Why bother? chances are you only need 1 or 2 and they are not expensive.

R75/6 Feb 1976
F650GD May 2001

3Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:51 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Its more to do with the waiting and downtime. If I have to remove the cover, make the measurements, and then put it all back together again in order to use it, (Everyday user), it'd be more convenient to take out a shim, grind it to the right spec, and replace it there and then. I agree that they may need minimum attention. The bike starts very eagerly, and the only indication is an increase in popping when slowing down from speed: as I change down.

4Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Some workshops will exchange them for a small fee. And some of the Japanese bikes have the same size shims, and they might also do an exchange.
Regards Martin.

5Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:06 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Cool....I'll investigate that.

6Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Boo somebody will probably chime in with the appropriate model Japanese bike shims. There was a discussion very recently.
Regards Martin.

7Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:28 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Do not use shims with chamfered edges. Seehttps://www.k100-forum.com/t13536-valve-clearance
Regards Martin.

8Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
BooG wrote:I have seen some footage of a guy who grinds down the valve shim in question to the correct spec using a mounted wheel grinder. Anyone ever done that, and is it acceptable to do? Gonna do mine softly as I've got nearly 90,000 on the Odometer and they've never been touched. Some popping on decelaration has made me want to do them. Question
If you grind the shims you run a good chance of them cracking and if you have ever seen a cylinder head after that has happened then you will know for sure why and what happens. The head wont even get good scrap value because of the fine particles of embedded steel.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:50 am

nobbylon

nobbylon
Silver member
Silver member
It takes 15 mins to pull the cover and another 15-20 to take measurments and work out what shims are necessary. Replace cover, order shims and then pull it again and sort properly. The bike is worth a proper job, don’t botch it.

R75/6 Feb 1976
F650GD May 2001

10Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:31 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
"Why bother? chances are you only need 1 or 2 and they are not expensive."

Out of curiosity I checked with an on-line BMW parts supplier.  If BMW valve shims are named "cam followers" then, at about US $35 each, they don't seem inexpensive to me. Valve shims for my Japanese or Italian bikes are about 1/3-1/4 of that price.

11Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 pm

nobbylon

nobbylon
Silver member
Silver member
£8.60 each from motorworks for shims. I checked my silver K100 when I bought it and 2 were out. Swapping one for another solved one of them so I just needed one shim. Checked the blue RS this summer and all within specs. Chances are you would only need a few.
Measure the shims with a micrometer and not one of those digital verniers.

R75/6 Feb 1976
F650GD May 2001

12Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:36 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
brickrider2 wrote:Out of curiosity I checked with an on-line BMW parts supplier.  If BMW valve shims are named "cam followers" then, at about US $35 each, they don't seem inexpensive to me.
In MAX BMW's fiche, the 2V bucket is listed as cam follower @39.87USD. The 2V shim is listed as spacer @±13.71USD.

13Back to top Go down   Grinding shims Empty Re: Grinding shims Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:16 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Wemoto on the south coast: even cheaper!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum