BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    Warning lamp barely lighted on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:30 am

Yeyo53

avatar
active member
active member
Hi there, fellas.

I recently bought a Acewell MA085 + BEP 3.0 and after the installation I have this problem. When I turn on my key all the lights come up as it should be but when I ignite the bike the warning lamp keeps barely lighted.

I removed all wires from the bep (except current, ground and warning lamp) and the problem persists. It's like some residual current keep there. Do you have any ideas? I bought it in cafe4racer and I don't know if it is an acewell problem (to ask for warranty) or a BEP 3.0 or an installation issue.

I have only tested the bike in the stand and in idle (~1000rpm) so my first though was about the alternator not working at those RPMs but if I accelerate nothing change, and in the case it was for example the alternator it should go completly off if I remove the ALT wire from the BEP, right?

Thanks in advance!

    

2Back to top Go down    Re: Warning lamp barely lighted on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:38 am

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Am I reading that the alternator lamp is lit at idle and stays lit when you accelerate? First thing I'd do is whack a voltmetre on the battery and test what the output is at idle and at revs. If the light stays lit but the alternator begins to charge, 12.6 to 14.5v max, it may simply be not enough resistance in the Acewell. Are they LED?


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, '93 K11/K12 hybrid 'Big Block', '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: Warning lamp barely lighted on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 am

Yeyo53

avatar
active member
active member
@Two Wheels Better wrote:Am I reading that the alternator lamp is lit at idle and stays lit when you accelerate? First thing I'd do is whack a voltmetre on the battery and test what the output is at idle and at revs. If the light stays lit but the alternator begins to charge, 12.6 to 14.5v max, it may simply be not enough resistance in the Acewell. Are they LED?

Nono, sorry for my bad explanation and bad english Laughing.

There is a warning lamp (like the one in the original 'lunch box') that lit when there is a failure. This failure could be like in the original: alternator problem, defective bulb, oil pressure, abs problem, choke open... I mean, thats how K75 warning lamp works.

This light was completely off with my original speedometer. Now I have changed it for a Acewell + BEP and it lit at the beginning (key in switch on but engine off) like it should be, but when I start the engine the light keeps barely lit instead of going off completely.

So, one of my thoughts was: Maybe it is the alternator because in idle I have ~1000 rpm so probably it is not charging (does alternator charge at that rpms??). But then I remove all the wires from the BEP except the ones related to current, ground (to turn on the acewell) and warning lamp (this way I was trying to avoid the errors) but the lamp keeps barely lit. So I realize that maybe there is no failure at all because if there was the warning lamp should be completely lit and not only a few, so it is probably a failure of the BEP or the Acewell itself.

To be honest, I think battery is low (I think 11.8 at idle, ~12.8 at revs in the stand) because bike has been stopped for a while so I'm gonna try to charge it before check anything more.

    

4Back to top Go down    Re: Warning lamp barely lighted on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
No battery is worth its salt at 11.8v, and a solid battery is a requirement when diagnosing almost anything electrical.

Let us know how you go.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, '93 K11/K12 hybrid 'Big Block', '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: Warning lamp barely lighted on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 pm

D'Ecosse

avatar
active member
active member
@Yeyo53 wrote:
There is a warning lamp (like the one in the original 'lunch box') that lit when there is a failure. This failure could be like in the original: alternator problem, defective bulb, oil pressure, abs problem, choke open... I mean, thats how K75 warning lamp works.

This light was completely off with my original speedometer. Now I have changed it for a Acewell + BEP and it lit at the beginning (key in switch on but engine off) like it should be, but when I start the engine the light keeps barely lit instead of going off completely..

WHICH specific warning light is behaving this way ...........

Is it the 'check engine' warning lamp? (Yellow wire to MA085) ??
If so, what have you connected this wire to on the BEP3?
If NOT which lamp are you seeing this problem on?

    

6Back to top Go down    Re: Warning lamp barely lighted on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 am

Yeyo53

avatar
active member
active member
@D'Ecosse wrote:
@Yeyo53 wrote:
There is a warning lamp (like the one in the original 'lunch box') that lit when there is a failure. This failure could be like in the original: alternator problem, defective bulb, oil pressure, abs problem, choke open... I mean, thats how K75 warning lamp works.

This light was completely off with my original speedometer. Now I have changed it for a Acewell + BEP and it lit at the beginning (key in switch on but engine off) like it should be, but when I start the engine the light keeps barely lit instead of going off completely..

WHICH specific warning light is behaving this way ...........

Is it the 'check engine' warning lamp? (Yellow wire to MA085) ??
If so, what have you connected this wire to on the BEP3?
If NOT which lamp are you seeing this problem on?

Well, I was talking about the check engine warning lamp, yes.

I tested the bike and eventually the lights went off. After a few days I started the bike and it appeared again. I tested the baterry and so and the problem is there: When I start it after a couple of days the battery went down til 11.4v while starting, so the check engine light and battery light go lit. The after a turn, battery is charging a 13'5v and lights go off.

I suppose I should change my battery! I'm now having problems with the stability of RPMs after 5000rpm but I think this topic has been discussed before in the forum so I'll search about it.

Thanks!

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum