BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Belly Pan Blues on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:07 pm

markysimon

After I changed the oil and filter on my K75S I found it impossible to re-mount the belly-pan, even after buying new rubber grommets and sleeves for the front mounting holes. The Haynes manual is no help, simply saying it's the reverse of de-mounting it, and you really need five hands, three pairs of eyes, a keyhole torch and infinite patience to slot it into the front and rear mounting brackets simultaneously.  Mad I gave up after an hour of cursing and rode round all summer without the 'pan, but now the roads are wet and mucky I'd like to re-mount it, so does anyone have an easy fix?  Crying or Very sad

Cheers – Mark W

2Back to top Go down    Re: Belly Pan Blues on Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 pm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
At least for me, I find it much easier if I remove the radiator grill panel before attempting to replace the K75S belly pan.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down    Re: Belly Pan Blues on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
It is a bit easier if you loosen off the bolts on the rear mounting tang. Do up the rear tang bolts only when you have the two front bolts sufficiently started.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Belly Pan Blues on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:56 pm

TacKler

Life time member
Life time member
Mark, 

Even though it is one of those jobs where you could use a third hand I have found it easier to remove the rear bracket with the tongue completely.  It has two 8mm hex bolts holding it on.  

If you hold the belly pan up and hook the top lug (attached at bottom of radiator) into the bung at top of fairing, then push the fairing backwards, engage the two rubber bungs in the lower part of the fairing.  They will engage into the plastic rail.  Use some Vaseline/white petroleum jelly on the two lower bungs if you like.  The fairing when engaged in the bungs will stay in place and not fall away.  

Whilst you are doing this part, it is far easier if you sit on your bum and with one leg behind the front wheel.  It is a tight squeeze but makes it so much easier because you can lift the fairing straight up.  I sit on a piece of cardboard with the fairing sitting on it to prevent scratching it.  Once you have done it this way, it will be an "ah ha" moment.  

Then do up the two lower 5mm hex bolts.  

Lying on my back I can then take the rear bracket and slip the tongue into the rear of the fairing and finger tighten the two 8mm bolts before torquing fully.  Each bolt has a wavy washer in there.  If it is your first time in there try not to remove the centre stand bolts.  This bracket is plastic, so should be obvious.  

The belly pan itself is in two parts, so no need to separate it at any stage.   

In summary: 

1. hang on top lug 
  2. engage two lower bungs 
  3. fit rear bracket 

If this makes sense, then it is literally a ten minute job but the trick is to sit on your backside to do it.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited by TacKler on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Back to top Go down    Re: Belly Pan Blues on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
+1 on Duck's removing the radiator cowl.  I have yet to find a way to avoid that job when installing the belly pan.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

6Back to top Go down    Re: Belly Pan Blues on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:14 am

markysimon

@Point-Seven-five wrote:+1 on Duck's removing the radiator cowl.  I have yet to find a way to avoid that job when installing the belly pan.
 Thanks to all for these useful suggestions.  Wink  I'll be into the shed tonight to give 'em a go, although from memory (when replacing the radiator fan earlier this year), removing the radiator cowl isn't as easy as it sounds due to the brake hose clip and fitting it back into the upper fairing halves...

Cheer again – Mark W

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum