BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    K series by years of production on Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Crazy Frog

avatar
admin
admin
Years of production mean time that they were manufactured.
For example, the K100 is listed at 05/1982, but the first ones were only released to dealers on May 2 1983.
Also, you cannot consider the sales date as the bikes were not always exported right after their releases. They had to be DOT approved and sometimes it tales time.



Last edited by Crazy Frog on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total


__________________________________________________
1986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML sidecar.
    

2Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:17 pm

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
The BM Bikes site breaks it down by VIN, year and month:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispages/enginechassisK100.htm


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Crazy Frog

avatar
admin
admin
@duck wrote:The BM Bikes site breaks it down by VIN, year and month:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispages/enginechassisK100.htm
Thanks Duck. I forgot about this page.


__________________________________________________
1986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML sidecar.
    

4Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:47 am

K75cster

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
They are a good set of graph's Bert. Made me wonder though, did the first K75's come out with the pre 86 til piece and seat mounted grab handles? I cant remember any being pictured.


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:07 pm

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:They are a good set of graph's Bert. Made me wonder though, did the first K75's come out with the pre 86 til piece and seat mounted grab handles? I cant remember any being pictured.

K75s didn't come out until model year 86 and never had the early K100 tail cowl/seat configuration.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:00 am

K75cster

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Thankyou Duck


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

7Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 am

Crazy Frog

avatar
admin
admin
I agree with you Duck.
The data that I posted come from the Flyingbrick and I was surprised to find a K75 for 1985.
However, this is the production time and not the sales time.
As you can see on my first graph, the K75 was built starting in July 1985 (Source BMW ETK) and in Germany, models produced after July are always sold as the next year model (1986).
I have a friend having a 1985 K100, and the bike came from the factory with the new tail and new foot pegs plate. The bike is a mix of parts from 85 and 86. Go figure.....


__________________________________________________
1986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML sidecar.
    

8Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 am

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
not abnormal I suggest bert ...at the crossover times

my 86 model came fitted ,(to me ) with 16 spline tail shaft and bevel box which may have been the final run of parts of the 85 models bleeding into the early 86 versions with 20 spline tailshafts as standard ?


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

9Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:46 am

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@charlie99 wrote:not abnormal I suggest bert ...at the crossover times

my 86 model came fitted ,(to me ) with 16 spline tail shaft and bevel box which may have been the final run of parts of the 85 models bleeding into the early 86 versions with 20 spline tailshafts as standard ?

Unless you bought it new from a dealer, it's also possible that a PO may have changed it from a Z20 to a Z16.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

10Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Crazy Frog wrote:I agree with you Duck.
The data that I posted come from the Flyingbrick and I was surprised to find a K75 for 1985.
However, this is the production time and not the sales time.
As you can see on my first graph, the K75 was built starting in July 1985 (Source BMW ETK) and in Germany, models produced after July are always sold as the next year model (1986).
I have a friend having a 1985 K100, and the bike came from the factory with the new tail and new foot pegs plate. The bike is a mix of parts from 85 and 86. Go figure.....

Another example of "using parts from the wrong year" is that the early K1100LTs came with K100RS4V peg plates like my early K1100LT. (VIN 0300110 - 2/92 build date)



My other K1100LT with a 10/92 build date has K1100 peg plates. (0300789)



Both are titled as model year 93.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

11Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Crazy Frog

avatar
admin
admin
@duck wrote:Another example of "using parts from the wrong year" is that the early K1100LTs came with K100RS4V peg plates like my early K1100LT. (VIN 0300110 - 2/92 build date
My other K1100LT with a 10/92 build date has K1100 peg plates. (0300789)
Both are titled as model year 93.
And this is why it's always a good idea to enter your bike serial # on the ETK when searching for parts.


__________________________________________________
1986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML sidecar.
    

12Back to top Go down    Re: K series by years of production on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 pm

pprince

avatar
active member
active member
That is neat info.

What is surprising to me is that Honda sold more V65's than BMW sold K100's yet BMW offers way more in the parts department. Honda offers very little parts for the V65. Mainly some o-rings and rebuild kits and most of that is because those parts were common to other Honda models.


__________________________________________________
Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum