BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Valve shim calculation Empty Valve shim calculation Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:41 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Can someone who is smart (?) go over the calculation for measuring shim size to obtain correct clearances at the valves? I've read a lot of posts, and looked at vids, but apart from that bloke who says, "If they're loose....leave em the f+*k alone...", (and he doesn't really explain how you calculate a replacement shim size) I'm not sure about the actual maths of it. 
Embarassed

2Back to top Go down   Valve shim calculation Empty Re: Valve shim calculation Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:07 pm

nobbylon

nobbylon
Silver member
Silver member
measure the actual clearance.
If too large subtract required clearance from your measurement and add that to the thickness of your already installed shim to give new shim thickness required.

If too small, subtract your measured clearance from required clearance and subtract that amount from installed shim to give required shim thickness.

R75/6 Feb 1976
F650GD May 2001

3Back to top Go down   Valve shim calculation Empty Re: Valve shim calculation Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:26 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is a excellent Excel spreadsheet which automatically calculate the thickness of the shims needed.
You have to enter the current thickness of the shim, and the gap between the shim and the camshaft.
There is even a list of part numbers for new shims.

http://forum.kforum-tech.com/members-upload/uploads/Valves-adjustment.xls

4Back to top Go down   Valve shim calculation Empty shims spreadsheet Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:38 am

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
Hummm.  I can't make that link work.
Oops. My bad.  I've got it now.  Nice piece of work for those of us who like to do our own wrenching whenever possible.  Thanks!

5Back to top Go down   Valve shim calculation Empty Re: Valve shim calculation Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:47 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
brickrider2 wrote:Hummm.  I can't make that link work.
It works, but you have to download the file on your computer.
Then, you have to have Excel installed on your computer.
If you don't, you can download a free viewer. You will be able to enter your measurements but you cannot save the changes.

https://xlsx-viewer.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-1052.1

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum