BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    K75 Street Tracker by -mek- on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 am

-mek-

I bought on September a former Swedish police 1992 K75 RT for a project base. It's technically quite good condition, but with 128 kkm's in odo, requires some thoroughgoing service.

A short clip of picking up the bike.

Preparing wheels for powder coating, fork service etc.

2Back to top Go down    Re: K75 Street Tracker by -mek- on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:56 am

-mek-

Steering head bearing was good. So just cleaning with kerosine and new CRC Super Longterm MoS2 Grease. I also drained the fork oil and flushed the forks with kerosene. I changed the springs to Progressive suspension. First I filled up with 420 ml Motul 7,5 W fork oil. Then adjusted the oil level to -160 mm (fork compressed, without springs), also removed about 10 ml oil. I think about 410 ml will give the -160 mm oil level, if you don't have a tool for measuring oil level. PS springs with the spacers that came with them, gave about 30 mm preload. Oil level and viscosity is easy to change later if I'm not happy, we'll see on May.

My bike has black forks, engine and final drive. I'm still not sure, whether to repaint valve and camshaft covers, since the fairing seals have scraped the paint away a little bit.

My RT had OEM heated grips, working. They were easy to uninstal since also the left heater element was glued to the sleeve which was then fastened by two M4 screws to handlebar. I started replacing the RT handlebar with LSL Flat Track handlebar, which I shortened to 800 mm. 10 mm hole on the middle, underside for heated grip wires and two 3,3 mm holes for fastening the left grip sleeve, then M4 threads. No problems.

The most work was sanding the right end to 22 mm. Almost all bars that are sold as 22 mm bars aren't really 22 mm, but 7/8" which is 22,2 mm. So the throttle grip does not rotate free on that, but the bar end must be sanded to 22 mm. Lots of sweat with sandpaper... I also covered the sanded end with thin layer of paint for protecting against rust.

Most of the service, ignored by previous owners, is done. I'm afraid the drive shaft splines have not been lubed for a long time. They were a bit worn, but hopefully will do still some years. I'm not gonna put so many km's for this bike. Two exhaust valves must be adjusted, but I'm still waiting for the ordered shims. I'll change the brake lines to Probrake Stahflex, but won't do it yet since the front line change requires cooler removal and I've still not got the Samco silicone hose kit yet.

When I get the wheels from powder coating, I'll build the front fender fastening. I also need the wheels for seeing how the bike stands with the new fork springs and Wilbers shock, if I have to adjust the front preload. Just then I'll be able to build the seat fastening to the right position and fit the Leo Vince GP-Style universal muffler to right position.

3Back to top Go down    Re: K75 Street Tracker by -mek- on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:43 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
So far, so good Very Happy

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

4Back to top Go down    Re: K75 Street Tracker by -mek- on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Two Wheels Better

Those expansive Finnish paddocks looked very nicely raked.

5Back to top Go down    Re: K75 Street Tracker by -mek- on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Bit difficult to trump that comment...

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum