BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 am

markysimon

markysimon
I need a smoked windscreen for my K75S, ideally with fixings. Fair price paid, and can collect anywhere within 50 miles of Wales/Hereford border, or happily pay carriage.  Laughing

2Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member

3Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:52 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
If your screen is just a bit cloudy - maybe you used oven cleaner or some other scary household chemical on it in a fit of enthusiasm - then you might be able to bring it back to glossy clarity with metal polish, y'know Solvol or something mild. Done it myself on perspex and the like - Solvol that is, not oven cleaner...
Plastic can often be polished, just like anything else. Somebody on this forum will have a much better idea than me about how to do it, anyone?

4Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 am

markysimon

markysimon

Well the ones on fleaBay are all 'universals' that would look v. odd on a K75S but thanks for the suggestion. An original is what I'm after.  Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 am

markysimon

markysimon
chris846 wrote:If your screen is just a bit cloudy - maybe you used oven cleaner or some other scary household chemical on it in a fit of enthusiasm - then you might be able to bring it back to glossy clarity with metal polish, y'know Solvol or something mild. Done it myself on perspex and the like - Solvol that is, not oven cleaner...
Plastic can often be polished, just like anything else. Somebody on this forum will have a much better idea than me about how to do it, anyone?

Ain't tried Solvol Chris, which I'd have thought'd be too abrasive and just make it worse, but have applied Windowlene and other similar fluidy things, all to no avail. Will test a bit of buckshee perspex with Solvol and see how it goes.

6Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Well the cobwebs have briefly parted, and I remember it was a screen for my mate's Vf500F2 (long time ago huh?) that he'd cleaned with....something. It might've been T Cut or a similar paint restorer that I used. Did the job though.
Didn't stop my mate though. He later went on to perform a similar cleaning routine on the visor of a brand new Shoei.

7Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

markysimon

markysimon
Will report back in the morning when ungeants have been applied.  Mad

8Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Avoid anything that contains ammonia.  It causes molecular damage that penetrates the surface and is impossible to remove.  Never use a window cleaner.

As far as restoring your screen, try one of those kits for restoring the clarity of headlamps.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

9Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:27 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've heard of Brasso and toothpaste been used on plastic headlights. However you can buy special cleaner from most automotive shops. And some motorcycle shops carry plastic polish for visors and windscreens. I have used my bench grinder with a clean cotton mop and very fine plastic polish. A light touch is required along with patience, it's easy to polish groves into the plastic if you apply too much pressure or stay in the same spot too long.
Regards Martin.

10Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:00 pm

markysimon

markysimon
MartinW wrote:I've heard of Brasso and toothpaste been used on plastic headlights. However you can buy special cleaner from most automotive shops. And some motorcycle shops carry plastic polish for visors and windscreens. I have used my bench grinder with a clean cotton mop and very fine plastic polish. A light touch is required along with patience, it's easy to polish groves into the plastic if you apply too much pressure or stay in the same spot too long.
Regards Martin.

Brasso, Solvol and TopCut all now tried and all found wanting. All three diminished the mild pitting and residue cause by my imprudent use of Muck-Off to varying degrees, but added scratches of their own  Embarassed Martin's suggestion of plastic polish is seductive, but there isn't a "motorcycle shop" worthy of the name for forty miles, and the nearest Halfords is 25. 

Looks like a new (or good used) screen then. Boo-hoo.  Rolling Eyes (And Chris W – spookily enough I emailed you direct just before this exchange hit the airwaves: you have been warned).

Cheers – Mark W

11Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Have you tried any of the stuff for headlights?  They are made of the same stuff as your wind shield.

Another option is to take it to a collision shop and ask them to buff it out with the finishing compounds they use on automobile paint. 

I don't know how bad your screen is scratched up, but wet sanding with 1200 grit followed by 2000 and 2500 will prepare the surface for the best results from polishing compound.  There is a clear coat on your windshield that is supposed to prevent minor scratching.  You probably need to remove it completely before you can polish the plastic beneath it.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

12Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
markysimon wrote:Martin's suggestion of plastic polish is seductive, but there isn't a "motorcycle shop" worthy of the name for forty miles, and the nearest Halfords is 25.
I get all my polishing supplies from one or other of these three guys:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Metal-Polishing-Supplies-UK-Ltd
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/thepolishingshop
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/a1abrasives

It takes a lot of time and patience to polish out perspex or lexan, but with the right compounds and mops it can be done.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

13Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 pm

franktherat

franktherat
Hi Dai
I gave a screen to Graham Gower on the FB purist page a little while ago. He may still have it or a spare.

14Back to top Go down   K75S Windscreen Wanted Empty Re: K75S Windscreen Wanted Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Not me that needs it Frank, but nice thought all the same! Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum