BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Emissions on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm

BooG

BooG
Gold member
Gold member
I'm not quite sure where to post this, but it's to do with engine emissions, so I'll drop it here for now.
So, in London (from April 19), we are getting a "ULEZ': Ultra Low Emissions Zone. I live inside the boundaries of the new zone and my K75 will not pass modern emissions regs so I will be subject to an extra charge to ride inside the zone...unless....
I have discovered a loophole which may allow my K75 exemption. Apparently, if I can show TFL (Transport for London) evidence of certain emissions standards, then I may escape the extra charge.
On the V5C (logbook) there is a category V3 for Nitrogen Oxides: NOx (g/km or g/KWh). The vehicles emissions must be equal to, or less than 0.15 grams per kilometre. This category is empty on the logbook, so my question is...would anyone out there happen to know what a 1988 K75S NOx emissions would be from the factory? If I can find some evidence, I could dig myself out of an emissions hole. I'd hate to have to sell her on! 
Thanks.

2Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:26 pm

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
You can quote me "Paul" as saying it is .14

Is that good enough?

or you can move to the other London. We don't have those rules in London Canada

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

3Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:52 am

caveman

caveman
Silver member
Silver member
oh no! don't get to cocky pprince, you never know when the smoke police will come to your neighborhood!

4Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:22 am

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
Oh I know that....the way the world is going we will all need to wear yellow vests.

Ontario had emission testing and a carbon tax but our new provincial government just got rid of both. Now our prime minister is putting a carbon tax on at the federal level. He will be the next politician to get the boot.

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

5Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:28 am

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
It is idiot rules like these that get my dander up.

.15 is a fail but .14 is just fine and dandy.

All while the old K bike is using significantly less fuel than a car running at .14....whose total carbon footprint is lower?

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

6Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:41 am

caveman

caveman
Silver member
Silver member
One of the thing I love about K bikes is the electronic engine management. Well ahead of it's time and simple, efficient, and reliable. The stuff that is getting jammed down our throat now is ridiculous.

7Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:47 am

caveman

caveman
Silver member
Silver member
pprince,

STOP IT! 

Do not complicate the situation with common sense please.

8Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:49 am

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
This is why I could never be  politician.

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

9Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:39 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
These days most cars here in Europe use less fuel than a K100. It wold therefore be safe to assume that there are less emissions from the car than the bike.

10Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:38 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Kind of a tangent but:

I've noticed that the parts catalog lists a K75 exhaust with a catalytic converter.  Never heard of one in real world use though.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

11Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 am

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
@BobT wrote:These days most cars here in Europe use less fuel than a K100. It wold therefore be safe to assume that there are less emissions from the car than the bike.

There are electric vehicles like the Tesla that have zero emissions.

There are also larger vehicles that pass these sniffer tests that consume large amounts of fuel.

Up until now we have always had the philosophy that we hold vehicles to account for the rules that were in place when they were made. We have never outlawed use for older vehicles simply because they are older. Laws like these are the first step in allowing government to outlaw legal use of all older vehicles everywhere.

Meanwhile the do-gooders are flying around the globe to conferences on global warming all while being on the public dole. They live the high life while scolding others that we pollute too much.

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

12Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Emissions are a great tax earning tool. People do not realise that a modern diesel car outputs less than a 10th of what a diesel car did 15 years ago. 
Latest research shows that burning a wax candle in a room would cause you to breath in more damaging fumes than you would get from standing next to a modern diesel.
To top it all one cruise ship uses as much fuel as 5 million diesel cars, what use is a cruise ship as a mode of transport?
An RAF Tornado aircraft takes off from RAF Marham in the UK, flies to Scotland and back with 2 people in it, so they never actually went anywhere, but arrives back having burned over a ton of jet fuel, which is basically diesel.
Common sense? Not at all, but emission bashing is a great political tool for whoever might be the London mayor at the moment. He will get votes from it because many Londoners don't have bikes or cars, it is the only place in the UK with great public transport, most places have none at all.

13Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:18 pm

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
I have a 1994 Ford F250 with the 7.3 litre IDI turbo diesel. It has 190 horsepower and 370 ft lbs of torque. It smells when running. It has a tuff time getting out of its own way.

My 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 has a 2.1 litre diesel that has 204 horsepower and 369 ft lbs of torque. It does not smell at all. It gets phenomenal fuel economy on the order of 5.3 l/100km highway. It is really peppy.

The Toyota Rav4 hybrid electric is rated at 7.4 l/100km highway.

Diesels have come a long long way.

Yes, a tax grab of monumental proportion that in the end will cause large political rifts.

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

14Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Just remember that where you live the politicians have all the guns.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

15Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Just a thought (not knowing the year) but if you had it on a classic insurance policy could you not get around it that way? I can't seem to find a 'legal' definition of what makes a motorbike a classic but surely you would have a good argument if the insurance company accept it as one!

Let me know how that goes as National Express is starting to put the prices up!! Laughing

16Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:12 am

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I love just outside of the zones. A motorcycle over 20 years old is a classic, in order for it to become exempt from the emissions charge it has to be 40 years old. The mayor gave lots of promises when he came to power, he has not yet lived up to them. He is cutting the number of buses that we have, he is wasting money and needs to find a way of filling the hole. 
In order for me to visit my sister on the other side of London, I have to travel an extra 40 miles, so instead of 20 miles each way, I have to take the orbital motorway and travel around 60 miles each way. Or I can travel in the sardine can, underground.

17Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Emissions on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:59 am

norton71

norton71
Silver member
Silver member
1988 model was more than likely manufactured 1987  (mine is an K100RT sold 1987 manufactured June 1986) Try Googling this.... just copy and paste the bold part (or maybe do some more searching along the same lines) for levels as California i think was the hardest to comply with....may give you the info you require somewhere in there..Cheers Smile

Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedures - Motorcycles and ... Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness ... 1985) through 1987.

First one that Google comes up with has  CCR in front of it

18Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect
I'd like to know how to find the nOX levels for my July 1992 K75 RT (which left the factory with a Build Date of July 1991).

I'm the Deputy Regional Representative for the Greater London Motorcycle Action Group, a Motorcyclists Rights Organisation in the UK.

As BMW brought out the K-Series because they were concerned that the Boxer Twin may not meet the impending emissions legislation, surely it should be "clean" enough..?!

We at MAG are in opposition to the charging of fees on any motorcycle in the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) on the basis that motorcycles ease congestion.

If 10% of those on four wheels would switch to two wheels, congestion would reduce by 40% and if 40% of them would switch, congestion would disappear..!!

19Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:04 am

prince

prince
Silver member
Silver member
@Point-Seven-five wrote:Just remember that where you live the politicians have all the guns.
That is not true in Canada cheers

2011 BMW K1600GTL (gone)
2018 BMW K1600GTL

20Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:50 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@Peter Perfect wrote:I'd like to know how to find the nOX levels for my July 1992 K75 RT (which left the factory with a Build Date of July 1991).
NOx levels were not in play for motorcycles at that time so it is unlikely test data is handy. Total hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide were the preoccupations back then. You could take yours to an independent sniffer to determine your moto's output—just for fun.

One 1995 study from Taiwan indicated that more research was needed to establish required output levels, but also suggested eliminating motorcycles altogether to lessen pollution. cheers

Last edited by Laitch on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:50 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
pprince wrote:Oh I know that....the way the world is going we will all need to wear yellow vests.

Ontario had emission testing and a carbon tax but our new provincial government just got rid of both. Now our prime minister is putting a carbon tax on at the federal level. He will be the next politician to get the boot.
PPrince, the yellow jacket protest already started in Canada.
Don't forget to tell Justin "I am sorry" (and shade a tear to add to the drama Razz) when you cast your vote in October 2019.

Like in every countries, the carbon tax is simply another way to generate revenues for the governments. None or next to none of the taxes collected are re-invested for a cleaner environment.

Years ago, in Nova Scotia, the Atlantic Vintage Motorcycle Society obtained from the provincial government that a 30 years old motorcycle is considered as an antique. In opposition with other provinces where many restrictions apply, there is only one in NS: Proving that you have another vehicle for your daily use and the antique is only for recreational purpose.
I can ride the K bikes all year long without any restrictions. The cherry on the cake: yearly registration cost me only $19.50 and safety inspection is not mandatory anymore.
I don't think anything will change as there are less than 500 bikes registered as antique.
If cities start the apply the same restrictions(fees) as in London(UK), the value of my "old" Ks will certainly go up as the demand for "antique" motorcycles will increase. Very Happy

22Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
@Point-Seven-five wrote:Just remember that where you live the politicians have all the guns.
There are now more guns in Australia than there were in 1996 when the big buy back happened. I would say that almost every house hold where I live has and uses rifles. Hand guns are very strictly controlled and have been since the 1920s.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

23Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:32 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:
There are now more guns in Australia than there were in 1996 when the big buy back happened. I would say that almost every house hold where I live has and uses rifles. Hand guns are very strictly controlled and have been since the 1920s.
That is good news.  Trouble is that the guns they let you have are nowhere near as good as their weapons are.  Here in the U.S. there is a group of politicians who desperately want to disarm the population or at least limit ownership to as small a minority as possible.  In their dream world, only a handful of subjects(as opposed to citizens) would have breech loading single shot firearms. 

Try to find a politician or bureaucrat who doesn't instinctively know that the only real limit on their power is a citizen with a weapon.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

24Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:57 am

Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect
"Years ago, in Nova Scotia, the Atlantic Vintage Motorcycle Society obtained from the provincial government that a 30 years old motorcycle is considered as an antique....
...I can ride the K bikes all year long without any restrictions. The cherry on the cake: yearly registration cost me only $19.50 and safety inspection is not mandatory anymore.
I don't think anything will change as there are less than 500 bikes registered as antique.
If cities start the apply the same restrictions(fees) as in London(UK), the value of my "old" Ks will certainly go up as the demand for "antique" motorcycles will increase."

In the UK, Historic Vehicle status begins at 40 years old, no Road Tax and no compulsory Safety Test, and exemption from the ULEZ Charge (Ultra Low Emission Zone).

With my 1992 K75 I'd have to wait another 13 years..!!

25Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:45 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Not quite, Peter. Originally the tax and mot cutoff was a rolling 25 years and I was celebrating when that law was introduced because (at the time) it meant all my bikes dropped off one after another over four years. Then before the year was up, the law was changed and nailed to an absolute date of Jan 1st 1962 when the dear old govt realised how much VED (vehicle excise duty) they were going to lose. Eventually the requirement for the annual inspection (MoT) was moved to a forty year rolling cutoff. However, the VED ('road tax') only applies to vehicles built (not registered) before January 1st 1978. That means I still have to pay VED on all of my bikes at (currently) £87pa, despite two of them being over forty years old.

For UK members: https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Oh - and because the twats up in Stormont abdicated their responsibilities, both of those bikes still need an MoT because the 'new' law was never approved in Northern Ireland.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

26Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:10 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
Are the regulations that govern vehicle registration and inspection different for each EU country?

27Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Yes. In Germany they're so tough that if you use the wrong light bulb (globe) the bike will fail the annual test (I exaggerate, but not by much). Even within the UK standards differ. Within Great Britain the annual test can be done at your local garage, so the standards applied depend on how lazy/good the tester is. In Northern Ireland the annual test is done at strictly-controlled Government sites, so the overall application of the rules is more consistent than in GB. IME, anyway.

28Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:00 pm

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
TfL have now said that if we can provide the nox figures for the bike and it is below 0.15grams per Kilometre then it could be exempt from the T charges.

29Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:15 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
After I got Big Block to a point of ridability, I took the paperwork down to the local vehicle licence and title office, paid my wad and got a number plate and rego papers. No one looked at it. No one asked about the 1200cc engine. No one looked at numbers to see if they matched. They only wanted the filthy lucre. There's no inspection. No roadworthy. No noting a catalytic convertor, or lack of. No whiff of an emissions test. Just an annual RTA (very expensive road tax) fee to help pay for the boondoggle public transport system in creaking old Seattle's area highways and rail lines. This here be the ol' west.

I'm looking at those 'lectric bikes coming down the turnpike and wondering how long we really have left before that's what's it.

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

30Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:41 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
TWB: Just curious but what is it titled as?  (Year and model.) What was the supposed value for the RTA tax?

Since I left Seattle/King County I no longer get to pay for mythical monorails and light rail.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

31Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:Within Great Britain the annual test can be done at your local garage, so the standards applied depend on how lazy/good the tester is. In Northern Ireland the annual test is done at strictly-controlled Government sites, so the overall application of the rules is more consistent than in GB. IME, anyway.
When you say "local garage" - the garage has to be a registered and approved as a MoT test station for the various classes of vehicle that they want to be able to test (with all the cost, specialist equipment and paperwork that entails). In Mainland GB, certainly in the SW, all the small bike MoT test stations seem to be closing faster than the country pubs - there is just no profit in it and, faced with soaring business rates, many of the guys that run these garages are giving it up and retiring (their kith and kin have no interest in taking on the businesses from them). The "local" garage do the test and are able to do any repairs necessary. As you say, the standard can be quite variable.

Personally, I prefer the government operated sites- they are only allowed to do the testing and have no vested interest in "failing" something to earn themselves a little extra dough. I haven't had too many issues with bikes, but have always been a little suspicious of some of the car "failures". Only last week, my daughter took her car in for it's annual MoT (due on 31 Jan, but you can get the test done up to a month early and preserve the test anniversary date). I checked it over and so did she, the day before the test. Imagine our surprise when she was told it had failed because both front indicator bulbs were duff. She challenged them and asked to see the duff bulbs (which they didn't like) - the story then changed to say the bulbs were "about to go" so needed changing. Bloody clever these rogues people, being able to detect that flashing bulbs are about to blow!! OK, so it didn't cost much, but it was the principle! In my experience, the closer you have the test done to the due date, the more serious (costly) the mythical failures become .

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

32Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
@duck wrote:TWB: Just curious but what is it titled as?  (Year and model.) What was the supposed value for the RTA tax?

Since I left Seattle/King County I no longer get to pay for mythical monorails and light rail.
Initially it was an '89 K100 frame with a PA salvage title, but I had issues with the provenance of said paperwork. I bought a complete (cut off frame) '93 K1100RS with WA title (for $300) and swapped frames, so that's what it is to the man with his hand out. My share of the RTA tax on an annual $120 rego was over $80. For a single track, light weight motocycle. I think my tax value on the rego was $3400, which is absurd. Bastages!

I have thought of dropping down to Thurston County but it'll probably follow me. Must eventually get that monorail down to Olympia.

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

33Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:08 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I think you got "lucky."  From past experience my guess would be that the state would value a 93 K1100 at well over $5,000.  (Real world market value times three.)

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

34Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Last May I titled a 1991 K100RS 16V.  The New York State DMV wanted to value it at $5500 for sales tax purposes because I bought it out of state.

I had to bring in a stack of Craig's list ads and a couple blue book listings to verify that indeed it was "only" worth the $2200 I paid for it.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

35Back to top Go down   Emissions Empty Re: Emissions on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@Born Again Eccentric wrote:Only last week, my daughter took her car in for it's annual MoT (due on 31 Jan, but you can get the test done up to a month early and preserve the test anniversary date). I checked it over and so did she, the day before the test. Imagine our surprise when she was told it had failed because both front indicator bulbs were duff. She challenged them and asked to see the duff bulbs (which they didn't like) - the story then changed to say the bulbs were "about to go" so needed changing.
Legally that's a freebie as your daughter did not specifically authorise any repairs to be made and so it's classified as a 'gift'. Depending on your patience, that might be worth raising with the local CAB to get the full, ironbound legal lowdown before asking for your money back.

Years and years ago, Reader's Digest sent me a really nice hardback book called 'The AA Book of British Villages'. When the invoice arrived I told them to go and whistle Dixie because I'd never ordered it. Never heard back from RD, still got the book.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum